downloading maps

karioi
karioi Registered Users Posts: 5
Master Explorer
I have Go 5100 with free worldwide maps. I want to download maps for part of Europe (not whole of Europe as that map is too large). On MyDrive Connect only the entire Europe map is available to download but on the TomTom website I can buy parts of Europe (eg Central and Eastern Europe) - how can I download this without paying?

Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,821
    Superuser
    Hi @karioi

If you have not installed any extra memory then why not install a 16gb or max 32 go micro SD class 10 memory card in the extra memory card and you will have plenty of space for the full European map. You then will not have to switch between maps when you cross borders.

Doug
  • karioi
    Master Explorer
    Thanks DougLap, I came to the same realisation, albeit more slowly than I should have.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @karioi

Now there is one piece of advice I would like you to bear in mind. Please ensure you have a map on the internal memory. It does not matter which one, I have Venezuela, but a very small one is all you need. The purpose is to keep that map there so that if you have a problem with the Extra memory card the unit will still be able to start up as it has a map on the internal memory. You can then format a new card if necessary and reload any maps to the new extra memory card.

Don't worry, I have days like that. Glad you have a solution

Doug
  • karioi
    Master Explorer
    That's handy to know, thank you.
    I only had an 8GB card at home and will pick up a 32GB since the biggest Europe maps don't fit on the 8GB so that will give me a backup while we're travelling.

Cheers
    Steve
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @karioi

If we ask @VikramK nicely he might add a small map to your account which you can download and it will fit on your internal memory and just stay there.

Keep an eye out here.

Doug
  • karioi
    Master Explorer
    Great!
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 13,709
    edited May 2019
    Hi @karioi

A smaller map of UK and ROI has been added.

Regards
    Vikram
  • karioi
    Master Explorer
    Much appreciated, thank you