Renault R-Link maps — TomTom Community

Renault R-Link maps

CarminatCarminat Posts: 989 [Revered Pioneer]
Every day I look at the R-Link Store for map updates. The most recent map is v1011. I have bought the 36 months map update service which allegedly entitles me for "Until 12 map updates". As the current TomTom version is 3 versions later, what am I missing for my money? Why don't Renault issue updates as frequently as TomTom? TT advertise that new maps are needed because 15%(?) of roads change every year, Are Renault roads not changing like they do for TomTom?

Comments

• CarminatCarminat Posts: 989 [Revered Pioneer]
    R-Link Store says the update service which I have bought issues new maps 12 times in 36 months. When will Renault actually do this? My map is version 1011, already THREE versions old!

amb96q7sdn30.png
    I see that TomTom maps v1030 are about to be released. That'll make my Renault R-Link TomTom map 4 versions old - a year! Is it any wonder that the GO6200 which I run alongside the R-Link is giving me different navigation instructions??? Shouldn't TomTom feel some degree of responsibility for this? I don't who is responsible for the non-issue of up to date maps, but it's certainly not doing TomTom's reputation any good in my opinion.
    As I thought, TomTom map v1030 was released yesterday, making my R-Link map v1011 a year out of date!

The built in satnav function is the best way to provide satellite navigation and at the price it sells on a new vehicle from Renault you'd expect better performance and service than you get on a humble standalone PND. Yet here we are, running on a map which is a year old, whilst at the same time the people who have bought the latest, cheapest TomTom have a better map for fraction of the price!!!

And trying to get some sort of useful information or comment out of TomTom and Renault is a mug's game - Renault always say I've got the latest map, TomTom say support is from Renault. What a farce! lyddwictg6u8.gif
    So now, Renault have completely revised their R-Link Store website, totally different.

EXCEPT for one thing - there are still no updated maps!!!
    Current situation is, I bought the (already out of date) Europe map v 1011 on 25th November 2018. There has been no new map released since then - I check the R-Link Store almost every day!! On 7th April 2019, I bought the map update service, 3 years for £105. There has been no map update since then. For some unknown reason, Renault have changed the date of purchase of the map from 25 November 2018, to the same as that of the map update service, 7th April 2019. My email receipt for the map is dated 25th November 2018.

No matter what, my map is over a year old, Renault have not issued any map since this one and they have not fulfilled the delivery of Map Update Service - 12 new maps over 36 months - in nearly five months since I bought it. OK, the 36 months are not over by a long chalk, but they now have only 31 months left to issue 12 new maps. I suspect they will actually only release new maps at much longer intervals which will preclude 12 in 36 months - breach of contract? And TomTom are guilty of standing on the sidelines letting it happen to THEIR product.

amqhdpwkb5n5.png
    Driving yesterday and today (and will tomorrow) reminds me of a feature of the old v1011 map - it still, of course, has the Severn Bridge (now renamed to Prince of Wales Bridge) as a toll road, so to travel into South Wales from East London, as I shall be doing tomorrow, it will warn me of tolls on the route and ask if I want to include or avoid them.

If I answer Include, will it perhaps then take me through the congestion charge zone in London? If I Avoid, will it route me to South Wales via Gloucester? Ridiculous!!! The bridge was de-tolled from 1st January 2019 and all other TomTom maps are of course correct, whereas my "latest" Renault TomTom map isn't.

I drive with the R-Link running alongside a GO6200. They are regularly offering me different routes. If (as both TomTom and Renault assure me their device maps are up to date) they do offer different routes and ETAs, which should I use for best result?
  • mishu28nmvmishu28nmv Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    "there will be until 12 updates over 36 months" That means you can also receive only 4 updates over 36 months! Read carefully. Shame on Renault
  • Jim07Jim07 Posts: 3,650 Moderator
    Hi,

Obvioulsy map on a TomTom PND is always more accurate than the R-link one, as Renault do not run on our latest map.

Cheers,

Jim
    mishu28nmv wrote: »
    "there will be until 12 updates over 36 months" That means you can also receive only 4 updates over 36 months! Read carefully. Shame on Renault

Actually, the way it's looking right now, even four maps in 36 months is unlikely. I bought my v1011 map (already old) on 25th November 2018 and there has not been a more recent one issued since then - that's eleven months without a newer one. I think I can only rely on "Until 12" meaning at least ONE - in thirty six months!!! Shame on Renault indeed, for selling something (three years map update service) which they can't or won't supply.
    Jim07 wrote: »
    Hi,

Obvioulsy map on a TomTom PND is always more accurate than the R-link one, as Renault do not run on our latest map.

Cheers,

Jim

Hello Jim. I presume that as a Moderator, you are giving me an official TomTom response. This seems to be a statement that since you sold the maps to Renault, you have been unable to provide more recent maps compared to the maps on your PNDs. It also seems to be a statement that you find that acceptable, indeed normal.

Am I to believe that when you sold Renault the TomTom navigation system, you told them that you would be unable to supply map updates, so that when roads change (as you state 15% every year do so), their customers would be using an out of date and unreliable system?

Or am I to believe that when Renault bought the system from you, they chose to decline to receive and publish up to date maps so that their customers would be using an out of date and unfreliable system?

And, as your comment seems to treat the situation as unremarkable/normal, am I to believe that TomTom is happy to let that happen and have their name associated with an unreliable system?

Is this really the TomTom which I have been buying (almost every new PND model) since 2005? As @mishu28nmv says so succinctly, Shame on you Renault. And Shame on you TomTom.
  • Jim07Jim07 Posts: 3,650 Moderator
    Hi,

My answer was just a reply to your last question "which should I use for best result?".

The fact R-link is not runing on our last map could be for technical reason (software and other Renault implementations) or could be part of the deal ( which I am not aware).

Same as why you need to buy maps when our devices have lifetime map ? It should be a Renault decision, because we also provide maps to some other builtin devices and the brands offer life time map.

Moreover R-LInk is not a supported device, so the best to get your aswers shoud be to ask to Renault .

kind Regards,

Jim
    Jim07 wrote: »
    Hi,

My answer was just a reply to your last question "which should I use for best result

So TomTom (you) advise that I should not buy a vehicle with a built in TomTom navigation solution, I should take the cheaper option of buying a TomTom PND, which will have up to date maps?
  • Troubadix12Troubadix12 Posts: 1,966 [Revered Voyager]
    Hi Carminat,

I assume, that Renault not longer invest money or personal to support old RLink-Devices.

Why else could it be, that Renault offers periodical Map-Updates to their new Rlink-Models, which use NNG-Software and Maps (iGO-Primo NX)

use the InDash as Radio... not for Navigation ;)

Regards

Troubadix12

"Old R-Link devices"???
    I bought my new vehicle in March 2018.
    I bought my Europe map v1011 in November 2018.
    I bought the 3 year map update service in April 2019. That means they intended to provide map updates for three years from then.
    R-Link Store is still offering to extend that three year subscription by another three years and they still haven't supplied even one update.

m6n4rv5zrodb.png

How many map updates have TomTom released since v1011? I make it five and another new one due any time now.
  • BogiemanBogieman Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    I bought my Renault Zoe new in June 2018 and updated the maps to the latest that Renault offered.
    I then bought the Western European maps V1011for £25 (good price). This was issued due to national speed limit changes in France. Since then no further updates are available, ie my maps are now 18 months old on an 18 month old car !
    This is poor, I commiserate with Carminat, I think Renault should reimburse you if you paid over £25 for your "updates".
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,433 Moderator
    edited December 2019
    Hi @Bogieman

Welcome to the community!

To get the quarterly map updates you need to have an active subscription(1 year Map Update Service). You can order it on our webshop here- https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/maps-services/shop/travel-map/western-europe/

Regards
    Vikram
    No he can't. He can only get maps from Renault, it's R-Link, not a Carminat. Or have you done something I don't know and taken on the updates for R-Link?

@Bogieman I too got the v1011 Europe map for £25 - why pay £45 or 50 for UK&ROI when a Europe map was offered for £25? I too have not been able to get any later map and the last time I tried with Renault to get some action (30th August 2019), they told me I have the latest map and it's not the same as TomTom maps - what rubbish! I do have an email address for their complaints department and will shortly be pursuing them over the matter of having bought a three year map update subscription in April 2019 for £105 for the 45 countries Europe map and haven't had a single update yet - the three year update subscription is for "Up to 12 updates", but at this rate it will be NO updates for twice the price of a single update!!!
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,433 Moderator
    Carminat wrote: »
    No he can't. He can only get maps from Renault, it's R-Link, not a Carminat. Or have you done something I don't know and taken on the updates for R-Link?

!

oops sorry.. :astonished:

I should have checked that... We don't offer map updates and other services for this model like Carminat

-Vikram
    That's right, you sell or give updates to Renault. Either you or Renault have to convert them to the proprietary state which runs on R-Link and neither of you are doing that.

Unfortunately I have been unable to find out which of you is at fault in this regard. But I actually believe you are both at fault :- just how TomTom can go along with their maps not being provided to end users is a mystery. You'd think they would have an interest in maintaining their reputation, yet this situation reflects really badly on their product, TomTom navigation, as identified in the startup screen. The title of this forum, for built in navigation, includes R-Link - how can it be a useful forum if TomTom don't support it? Again, just how Renault can sell vehicles with a navigation system with such badly out of date maps is incredible. How much did Bogieman pay for the optional extra R-Link in his new Zoe? I paid £810 including VAT for it in my new Kangoo van and Renault can't invest a little of their profit in providing availability of map updates (even at the extra prices we have paid for the few we've managed to get). By comparison, TomTom's latest all singing all dancing top model, the GO Premium X costs half as much, £369, and has lifetime free everything. For my £810 jobbie, after an initial free period, I have to pay extra subscription for services such as TomTom cameras (for which I've NEVER had a separate update, only whatever are built into the latest map, so all the cameras that have gone up in the last 18 months are not included), Traffic, POI search etc. Indeed, I've actually paid (April 2019) for a three year map update service ("Up to 12 new maps in three years") yet not a single map has been forthcoming!

In order to feel safe in reaching my destination, I run TWO other TomTom standalone devices, both with more recent maps than in my R-Link. Without them, either I would be unable to set a destination for an address which has been added in the later maps, or would travel an unreliable different route - when my £800+ R-Link TomTom tells me to turn left and my half the price updated TomTom GO6200 says turn right, which should I follow?

So at the end of the day, if you were a prospective customer for a Renault vehicle with TomTom navigation, would you buy Renault, would you buy TomTom built in - for over £800 (knowing that updates would cost extra too)? Will you fancy buying a future Renault driverless car with TomTom navigation?
  • Jirka47Jirka47 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hello, are there any new information as for the map update for Renault r-link1. I asked Renault support about it and they responded to me the update will be ready around end of March 2020. But still nothing here. Still I have old 1015. I stop believe it it truth as for the new update.
    Your map v1015 was released by TomTom for their own devices in August 2018.

I received it through the map update service on 27th February this year, 2020.

TomTom released their latest map v1045 (the sixth update since v1015) in February this year, 2020.

Neither TomTom nor Renault will take responsibility for this outrageous situation - on my new van in March 2018, the RLink system cost £810 optional extra - for less than half that price you can buy a TomTom PND with free for lifetime maps and Live Services which both cost an exhorbitant extra price for the RLink (except that you won’t be able to obtain an up to date map).

As I am in virus lockdown, I shall shortly be using my spare time to try and get a reaction from Renault customer services at [email protected]
  • Jirka47Jirka47 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    It is very interesting situation. In R-LINK store they offer prolongation of map update for the next year and on the other side they are not able to update maps for two years already. And as it is written above. R-link 1 is not compatible with the latest maps. So if it is truth they offer something which they are not able to supply. It looks like as deception from the side of Renault. If you will have any news please write it here.
    So you should email Renault at [email protected] and complain. I shall be doing so.
  • rotproof1rotproof1 Posts: 12 [Legendary Explorer]
    edited July 15
    Carminat wrote: »
    So you should email Renault at [email protected] and complain. I shall be doing so.
    I did complain in the end of April and sent several follow-ups. So far didn't get any response but can see that all applications and maps disappeared from R-Link store from June. I hope they are updating ...

btw, Smart 4 four also has R-Link (just different theme on the screen and different part number but the unit is identical) but they sell maps directly via TomTom so it is already 1050

I am in the same situation: 3 years of map updates bought and so far got 2 very outdated updates in 3 years.

Did they respond to you?
  • rotproof1rotproof1 Posts: 12 [Legendary Explorer]
    Jirka47 wrote: »
    It is very interesting situation. In R-LINK store they offer prolongation of map update for the next year and on the other side they are not able to update maps for two years already. And as it is written above. R-link 1 is not compatible with the latest maps. So if it is truth they offer something which they are not able to supply. It looks like as deception from the side of Renault. If you will have any news please write it here.

They support latest maps etc. It is just they are on some very bad time of agreement between Renault and TomTom that they signed many years ago in regards to R-Link1 and nobody cares about end users. Looks like they don't even care about profitability - many people will buy both live services and maps if they were kept up-to-date and with some promotions from time to time.
    Reanult buried both R-Link1 and R-Link2 already and they are concentrated on the new platform - EasyLink which is really stupid management from their side