New TomTom GO Navigation App (iOS) - Page 4 — TomTom Community

New TomTom GO Navigation App (iOS)

Comments

• PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 326 [Supreme Pioneer]
    edited May 30
    Thatbeetle wrote: »
    And at the risk of repeating myself
    Yes, there is a little bit of déjà vu in this forum! ;)

OK @Thatbeetle, I agree with you, the TomTom GO Mobile iOS app is free. You don't pay a penny for it. Zilch, nada! Happy? B)

However, for FREE you get to be navigated for just 49 miles a month. After that distance has been used up you need to subscribe. Now I don't know how much (i.e. how many miles) you use the TomTom GO Mobile iOS app but I use my copy of the app for more than that so, whilst the app is free, without the subscription for unlimited distance it is, in fact, worthless to me and I suspect a great many other people on this forum, perhaps even you. The free use is for trialling it to see if you like the app.

Also, how long have you been a TomTom user? You don't see to get the point that the original TomTom Navigator iOS app could do a lot more and that EOL'd (End of Life) it so in effect forcing us to use the so-called 'FREE' new app.

You say:
    i think some people on here are expecting way too much out of what is a FREE phone app. Just smacks of being cheap to me, but what would i know?
    Then you say:
    All I'm asking for is it to be released so i can use it with my up-to-date infotainment system and use a decent nav system again.
    Presumably, your up-to-date infotainment system is the one in your car? If that is the case, then you want the TomTom GO Mobile iOS app update to be released and include the Carplay function to be free?

TomTom changed its pricing policy when the TomTom GO Mobile iOS app was released. TomTom went from the customer purchasing a licence for the app (with a subscription for just the services e.g. Traffic and Speed cameras) to a subscription-based system. Either way, the money raised goes to the cost of the maps, the traffic data, and the constant development to improve the app.
  • ThatbeetleThatbeetle Posts: 23 [Master Explorer]
    I don't mind paying a subscription, happy to do so if it means i get up-to-date maps and compatibility with the on-board systems in the car. It's not even £20 at the moment, that's less than a lunch with a couple of beers. I'd pay double that in all honesty for the convenience of offline maps and the excellent re-routing especially for euro use.

I had a stand-alone unit then switched to the Go app when i got a phone with a decent enough screen to see it on though what that has to do with anything i don't know.
    I also had a glass-fronted tv once, but i much prefer the Oled i have now. What the old app has to do with wanting the new app to be released and carplay compatible is beyond me, but I suppose rose-tinted specs and all that......

Things move on but apparently not in Tomtom world. Anyway, I'm done here as it's quite apparent that nobody from TomTom bothers to look at this (and in all honesty, i don't blame them).

Good luck with whatever it is you want, i have a feeling some of you guys out there will need it.
  • PalfermanPalferman Posts: 102 [Revered Navigator]
    Teaser May 1st, it’s now June 2nd, what can I say. This was after announcement on September 1st 2018 for release early 2019. I make that 9 months WTF
  • reini676reini676 Posts: 32 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Palferman wrote: »
    Teaser May 1st, it’s now June 2nd, what can I say. This was after announcement on September 1st 2018 for release early 2019. I make that 9 months WTF

100% agree! TomTom let us in the dark! No ETA, no reaction at all! They ignore us! Its really sad for a big company like TomTom!
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,203 TomTom Moderator
    Hi All,

We started rolling out TomTom GO Navigation to a small number of users. The rest will follow soon. This is an update to the existing app (GO Mobile).

Thanks, lampard

• nlmarvinnlmarvin Posts: 8 [Master Traveler]
    I just received the update. I'm curious and tonight on the way home I will take a good look at it.
    @lampard,

I’ve just checked my Apps store and I’ve just received the update. However as I’m away from home at the moment I haven’t downloaded it yet as I need GO Mobile for navigation.

Has anybody tried v2.0 with the third party app POIViewer?

Regards,
  • Tamas74Tamas74 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hey, hey, hey!! I'am downloading :). Can't wait to try it out on my way home after work!!!!
  • loekfloekf Posts: 28 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    edited June 3
    My impressions:

Still no My Drive support for routes
    Carplay: doesn't show current speed (Flitsmeister and Sygnic do this)
    Carplay: you can't type/enter a place/destination via the touchscreen of the car (Sygnic can do this)
    Carplay: I would like it if TT can show more than just the delay in minutes. However, not sure if Carplay is the restriction here. Would be nice if the traffic bar (with delays, gas stations, speed traps) can be shown somehow. Hopefully iOS 13 will improve things.

Maps download is partially broken. Some maps give an error: for example Spain, Russia, Switzerland. They all return error 101006 if I'm not mistaken.

Maps look graphically much improved.

Another one: why is the minutes delay for each traffic jam not shown in the map anymore ?
  • ianj7777ianj7777 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi All

Just downloaded the new version, stupid question that I cannot see an answer to, you used to be able to change maps say from UK to US, to plan routes etc.

How do you do that now.

Thanks
    Really like the the look of the new maps. Been out for an hour just trying it. Speed cameras / speed warnings work fine everything looks good. But it doesn’t like roundabouts very much, doesn’t show current speed and most importantly for me the traffic bar doesn’t show on CarPlay
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,202 Superuser
    Hi @ianj7777

You don't select the Map you want to use.

I have the UK maps and the Venezuela map downloaded. Don't ask!!

All I do is

Tap Menu
    Tap Search
    Type Caracas
    It immediately finds it , indicating how far away it is from me.

Doug
    edited June 3
    Hi @loekf

A good list of initial points to which I would comment as follows.

Agree would be nice to have the Routes in our account available via the menu.

Re showing Current speed you have you speedo in front of you rathe than looking across but you do have the Speed limit displayed and a warning if you are over it.

Re typing destinations in etc. I would take that to be an infringement of the law if you the driver were doing that . The App does ask if you are driving if someone tries to do something on the phone whilst the car is moving. This would then allow a passenger to operate the phone.

No comment on the delay information yet.

Regrading the lack of traffic bar at least at the moment the Speed cameras Icons etc are clearly displayed along the route with good advance warning. Also with read aloud settings you get a verbal warning over any music etc being played. I think also the fuel stops etc are displayed as well.

Re the traffic delay not shown. I am sure I had a 2 minute indication today but I will keep an eye out.

One suggestion re routing is before you start driving you can create routes in the App to various destinations which will then be saved in Recent Destinations. You can tap the screen and get the Recent Destination list and select the one you want and it will create a route to it from where you are. 3 Taps and possibly a scroll and saves stopping to do it each time.

Doug
    loekf wrote: »
    Carplay: doesn't show current speed
    In an ideal world I’d like the SatNav app to show the current speed at least as an option as I find the SatNav speed far more accurate than the car’s speedometer.

That said, I done have a CarPlay radio.

Regards,
    edited June 3
    Whilst, the CarPlay stuff is exciting, what is the v2.0 like as a a normal i.e. non-CarPlay app? Are there any improvements and new features for us second class citizens who don’t have CarPlay? ;)
  • loekfloekf Posts: 28 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Whilst, the CarPlay stuff is exciting, what is the v2.0 like as a a normal i.e. non-CarPlay app? Are there any improvements and new features for us second class citizens who don’t have CarPlay? ;)

Better maps (= more memory, from what I've seen 2x more space if you download everything).

BTW, I still can't download maps for e.g. Spain and Finland (error 10106)
    HI @loekf

Just downloaded Northern Spain and search found Santander.

Doug
    Hi @PrivateerUK
    Don’t hold your breath, couldn’t find anything that’s been on your wish list and I’m a bit disappointed with CarPlay to be honest. No traffic bar grrr
  • metbrilmetbril Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited June 3
    I installed the app and immediately checked if my POI files in MyDrive are available. They are NOT. :s
    Just a quick comment regarding route planning. If you’re planning to travel from UK to Europe/Ireland don’t forget to download “Ferry Connections Europe”. Otherwise you get route not possible :)
    Hi @PrivateerUK

Basically you will see little or no difference from your current version. In NON CarPlay mode the Route Bar is there just as it was before. In Car Play mode the Route bar disappears and the cameras etc that would have been in the Route Bar are shown on the Map and with Read Aloud instructions they are advised in good time.

The favourites are there as before and the POI files and Route files are still not synced from My Drive. Neither if you create a route in My Drive can you send it to the App.

You cannot create a route using the Car Play screen but then again should you be doing that whilst driving. You can see your recent destinations in the Car Screen and select them. If you have a passenger they could create a new route whilst you drive and they have Tapped that they are not driving whilst using the phone.

The Speed limit is displayed on the CarPlay screen with a warning flag if exceeded. You also get a large pictorial view of the next junction top right of the screen. In CarPlay mode you get , depending on the settings , Arrival Tome . Time to Destination and Distance.

In Normal mode the Route Bar now has the Cancel Current Route icon which is visible at the bottom of the route bar. That is not visible in Car Play mode.

In essence the best thing to do is Create Routes to destinations before you start driving then you can quickly change to a new destination via the Recent destinations option and it will create a route to the new destination from where you are at the time.

The UK is divided into 4 maps but you don't have to select a map to find a destination.

If you download it and are a current subscriber you get a free month added..

Hope that answers some of your questions.

Doug
  • Tamas74Tamas74 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I tried it out in Hungary today. It looks fine. The colours are much better than waze or google use. The bar is missing. The biggest advantage of the bar was to see without touching anithyng how far the nearest tank station is on the route if the tank was empty. The app does not show up notifications during a call. Waze and Google do. Current speed is missing. Voice command sound quality is much better than the others. I love it anyway.
    Hi @DougLap
    In your response to @PrivateerUK , really good summary of what the new app features.
    It really looks stunning on my iPhone, everything I want is there, I don’t want to see different colour roads, icons showing me the nearest cash machine or fast food outlets just simple route navigation to tell me which turn to take next and traffic on my route. However, what I was really hoping for was a decent interface to CarPlay. At the moment there is no traffic bar so you can’t see anything on your route which to me is a big disadvantage. Now to be fair it’s only been a few hours since it was released and I’m not able to assess how the CarPlay version will handle traffic and reroute as appropriate. I think it’s a major flaw not to have that traffic bar but I know have a months free trial to assess. I’m going to be resurrecting my GO5000 updating the software and running them in tandem before I decide whether or not to subscribe
    edited June 3
    Hi @Palferman

One new thing in the App is Mapcodes Work. In the UK if you type DH.FX in search you are taken to the middle gate at Buckingham palace.

You can Copy a Mapcode from the Mapcode App to the Search Page in Tomtom Navigator App.

Doug
  • daveday1daveday1 Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    So v.2 still doesn’t support My Routes which is a real shame. Does anyone know if the new version has URL Scheme support?
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online33

Bembo
Bembo
BJH2020
BJH2020
Elchdoktor
Elchdoktor
Invisibly
Invisibly
johnsondvr
johnsondvr