Downloaded maps have disappeared AND cannot download replacements — TomTom Community

Downloaded maps have disappeared AND cannot download replacements

Hi
I have a Go 520 with lifetime maps where I had downloaded several maps to the SD card. They were there for several months and then I reconnected the device to a PC (do not have wireless). Some updates happened to the device BUT now all of the maps on the SD card appear to have disappeared. The maps on the device are still there.
I then tried to redownload the all of UK map and it only 90% downloads before restarting the download.
Ditto for the Scandinavia map; where it gets to 91% before restarting.
Very frustrating as we leave for a UK driving holiday soon.

Best Answer

• stfraserstfraser Posts: 16 [Master Explorer]
    Accepted Answer
    Our family friend successfully downloaded the required UK map by using his in home, wi-fi network and a very fast Oz NBN network access.
    Still not sure why all of this was never possible via our Oz ADSL, PC based, data source BUT two firmware updates were also first downloaded.
    Tom Tom will never in future get to access my journeys / data because I am never going to let the device ever again connect to their site; as all of my lost maps and then new map download problems happened when the device did a firmware update.
    I am happy to have overseas road maps that are not being updated; because I now at least have maps.
    I would not recommend Tom Tom as a company at all and can readily understand why so many other users can be so frustrated with the technology, poor communication and the very poor Tom Tom sourced "help".
    This forum does try to help; but again there are too many generic suggested fixes.

Answers

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,923 Moderator
    edited April 2019
    Hi @stfraser

Welcome to the community!

I reviewed your device(GO 520) and account information. You have Lifetime maps(World) active.

The new maps should be offered for download.

Could you try the below steps:
    Remove the memory card and format it on a computer first-
    Soft reset the device
    Insert the memory card and wait for the device to format it
    Main Menu-Settings-Maps- Add a map

Regards
    Vikram :)
    hi Vikram
    I followed the advice re removing the micro SD card and attempted to format it. I could see that the card had multiple files on it; two of which should have been an earlier UK map and an all of Europe map. All formatting attempts were blocked with the statement "The disk is write protected". This is very odd is it not?
    I gather that the first thing that the TomTom map update software tries to do is to delete an earlier version of the map. This might be part of the problem if the card cannot now be partly cleaned.
    I do not think however that it is the SD card that is the root cause; as I also cannot download the UK map straight to the device.
    The fact that multiple other forum users are also suddenly having map download issues strongly indicates that it was a new software gremlin, linked to a recent TT update.
    The card as set up and device were working fine until I connected the device last week to the PC for the first time in many months (I do not have wi-fi) and the system did a operating system update and probably a map or two update. Then problems attempting to download any new maps or achieve further map updates.
    I will buy a new micro SD card tomorrow and try again.
    I bought a new Sandisk 16 GB micro SD card and formatted it in the device. I now have exactly the same map download problem ie UK map downloads to 90% then stalls and totally restarts. This applies whether I try to download that map to the new card or to the internal memory.
    It is therefore not a card problem but almost certainly linked to a device update that I foolishly allowed to happen last week.
    TT need to release a software fix.
    Still cannot download the UK map or the Scandinavia map or the Iberia map.
    Help please.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,913
    Superuser
    edited May 2019
    Hi @stfraser

Have you got somewhere where you can try and do the downloading without connecting your GO520 to your computer via usb whilst you are trying to download the maps. This will help sort out if problem with TT unit or the PC.

Doug
    Hi DougLap
    Thanks for your interest. Tom Tom's official help is 99.9% useless.
    I have spent many hours and it has now partly progressed. I deleted ALL Tom Tom software incl My Drive Connect from my PC, reinstalled it and have now been able to download some of the missing maps ie Iberia and Scandinavia to new 32 GB and formatted SD card. BUT after further multiple attempts to download at least the UK map, it still repeatedly gets to 90% and then starts downloading again.
    Oddly when I last again logged out and logged back in to My Drive Connect it now appears to no longer be listing that I have worldwide free maps. The Go 520 was only bought on 11 July 2018.
    How can we get Tom Tom to still confirm that my map access still exists?
    I will try giving the unit to a relative who has good wi-fi.
    Once I get all of my maps back, incl rest of Europe and USA, I am never connecting the device again to the web.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,913
    Superuser
    Hi @stfraser

Hopefully @VikramK can check your your account settings re World maps. Keep an eye out for his comment here.

Vikram may ask you to do a factory reset if he has to reset your account details. This does not affect the maps already downloaded.

The stopping at and restarting could be to do with a number of functions on your PC. I am not able to help you with these but there are some here who can.

I am hopeful that using your friends WiFi will sort things out. You will have to input their WiFi details so that the unit will link. Once you do that it will remember the link when you visit them again.

Doug
    Thanks again for the ongoing interest.
    I will let all know the outcome once I have the chance to get the device to my relative.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,461
    Superusers
    edited May 2019
    Hi
    @stfraser

Re "Download/Installation interrupted".....

Are your USB ports set for power saving "USB Selective Suspend"

Win7 See... http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/147369-usb-selective-suspend-turn-off.html

Win10 See… https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/73187-turn-off-usb-selective-suspend-windows-10-a.html
    Click on link and scroll down to "Turn Off USB Selective Suspend"

Also turn off any Screen savers any other Power savers or USB port monitoring software installed

ATB YFM
    USB ports are not set for power saving.
    Have turned off any Screen savers etc and there are no USB port monitoring software installed.
    The issue happened after I allowed the device to do a Tom Tom device update.
    Finally able to download Iberia and Scandinavia maps BUT the same 90% download UK map problem continues.
    I have given the device to a relative who will try his wi-fi device AND then I am never letting the device connect again to Tom Tom.
    Superusers
    edited May 2019
    Hi
    @stfraser

I use the 'SD Card Associations' dedicated Format tool
    Here...
    https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/index.html
    Note... The 'Overwrite format' option can take a long time on the larger memory cards

There's also a Mac version

ATB YFM
    Accepted Answer
    Our family friend successfully downloaded the required UK map by using his in home, wi-fi network and a very fast Oz NBN network access.
    Still not sure why all of this was never possible via our Oz ADSL, PC based, data source BUT two firmware updates were also first downloaded.
    Tom Tom will never in future get to access my journeys / data because I am never going to let the device ever again connect to their site; as all of my lost maps and then new map download problems happened when the device did a firmware update.
    I am happy to have overseas road maps that are not being updated; because I now at least have maps.
    I would not recommend Tom Tom as a company at all and can readily understand why so many other users can be so frustrated with the technology, poor communication and the very poor Tom Tom sourced "help".
    This forum does try to help; but again there are too many generic suggested fixes.
  • EvelynKiangEvelynKiang Posts: 7 [Novice Seeker]
    I tried to download the USA Map for my coming trip. The download ended with “...map update failed...please contact TomTom/Support if it fails again.” It failed 4 times right at 99% downloaded status. And I can’t locate TomTom Support Email anywhere on TomTom.com...sigh
    Superusers
    edited January 2020
    Hi
    @stfraser
    stfraser wrote: »
    Still not sure why all of this was never possible via our Oz ADSL, PC based, data source BUT two firmware updates were also first downloaded
    The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices Like your GO 520
    Normally update using Wi-Fi......See Option... (1)
    But you can update over USB... See Option... (2)

TomTom Video... Updating your navigation device using Wi-Fi®

If you have successfully connected your device to your Wi-Fi....
    To check your Connection Speed, Signal Strength & Quality
    On the Device... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on the Your Wi-fi name (The one Showing as connected)
    A new Menu Page opens

7g8gwfpx1swt.jpg
    On the left-hand side of the screen is your Wi-Fi Connection Status

Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    See Option... (2) Connect over USB

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Updating your new NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here.....
    www.tomtom.com/getstarted
    Run MyDrive Connect.....
    Note... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

Note... MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar

27bxc59f2s23.png
    ATB YFM
    Superusers
    Hi
    @stfraser
    stfraser wrote: »
    This forum does try to help; but again there are too many generic suggested fixes
    Like most commercial companies the links to the various aspects of the Website are a the bottom of the Forum Home Page....

Scroll to the bottom of this page
    From the Support Menu list
    Click 'Contact us'
    Drill down through the appropriate links
    You will eventually get to....

FAQS --- FORUMS ---- EMAIL US---- PHONE US

Or... Click Here for a direct link to 'Contact us'....
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/contact/locale/en_GB
    After Clicking on the Link
    Scroll to the bottom of the new page check your Countries flag is displayed (Screen bottom right) if incorrect click on one of the links and correct

Or... Click on the Email Direct Link...
    http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/contact_incident/c/4692/p/2986/es/0
    After Clicking on the Link
    Scroll to the bottom of the new page check your Countries flag is displayed (Screen bottom right) if incorrect click on one of the links and correct

Note... You need to be logged into the site for the Email Direct link to work
    Note... If your using Firefox, try a different browser Firefox can be problematic with the Direct Email link

There is a logic to to Drilling down through the appropriate links, if you follow the correct menu flow, it takes you to the Support pages and the comprehensive Tomtom FAQ lists where in most cases the answer can be found and problem solved :)
    This in turn reduces the demand on the Support lines and shortens the delay/response times for when only a Phone Call and Email enquiry will resolve the issue....

Phone Numbers for Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1115662/phone-numbers-to-contact-customer-support-new/p1

ATB YFM
  • janeykins22janeykins22 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    I had similar problems last June with a Go 25 and Go 6020 truck version. All my maps were wiped off both devices and I was in Devon at the time. Luckily I can read a map and got us home that way. Managed to sort it out a home but not a happy camper!