Hi, I have lifetime maps on my Go5000 — TomTom Community

Hi, I have lifetime maps on my Go5000

T J DANES RESCUET J DANES RESCUE Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
Unfortunately I can't install the new update as the file size of 6690Mb is bigger than the internal memory space. even when I remove everything there is still 524Mb left on. The internal memory is only 7000Mb. How do I remove the extra 524Mb left behind please?

Best Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,769
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    HI @T J DANES RESCUE

If you have a current map on your unit and it is installed on the internal memory and the Update for it is to big for it to fit on the internal memory then you need to fit a Micro SD Class 10 memory card in the Extra memory slot. 16gb or Max 32Gb is recommended.

Once this is done during the update the old map will be deleted from the internal memory and the new map will be on the external memory. The plus side is the unit may perform better with a lot of free internal memory. The downside is the absence of a map on the internal memory is the unit will not boot up fully. The solution to the latter is to contact Customer Support and ask them to add a small map, it doesn't matter which one, to your account to help you avoid the no map situation. You then load this map and it will be added to the internal map. It is an idea to get the small map and load it before you do the update so if there is a problem during the update you will be able to recover the situation easier.

Doug
  • T J DANES RESCUET J DANES RESCUE Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Accepted Answer
    Thank you DougLap, how do I contact customer support in order to get a small map please. Does my satnav need to beconnected to my Mac when i request it? Or will they load it to my account. thank You for all your help. TJ.
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @T J DANES RESCUE

Hopefully @VikramK will be able to add a small map for you.

It should appear on your account to install.

Doug
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,651 Moderator
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @T J DANES RESCUE

Smaller map of UK and ROI has been added.

Regards
    Vikram
    Accepted Answer
    Thank you.

Answers

Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    HI @T J DANES RESCUE

If you have a current map on your unit and it is installed on the internal memory and the Update for it is to big for it to fit on the internal memory then you need to fit a Micro SD Class 10 memory card in the Extra memory slot. 16gb or Max 32Gb is recommended.

Once this is done during the update the old map will be deleted from the internal memory and the new map will be on the external memory. The plus side is the unit may perform better with a lot of free internal memory. The downside is the absence of a map on the internal memory is the unit will not boot up fully. The solution to the latter is to contact Customer Support and ask them to add a small map, it doesn't matter which one, to your account to help you avoid the no map situation. You then load this map and it will be added to the internal map. It is an idea to get the small map and load it before you do the update so if there is a problem during the update you will be able to recover the situation easier.

Doug
    Accepted Answer
    Thank you DougLap, how do I contact customer support in order to get a small map please. Does my satnav need to beconnected to my Mac when i request it? Or will they load it to my account. thank You for all your help. TJ.
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @T J DANES RESCUE

Hopefully @VikramK will be able to add a small map for you.

It should appear on your account to install.

Doug
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,651 Moderator
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @T J DANES RESCUE

Smaller map of UK and ROI has been added.

Regards
    Vikram
    Accepted Answer
    Thank you.