Apprentice Traveler
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
How can I get lat long data from marked locations in My Places

Best Answer

• Whatsisname
    Whatsisname Registered Users Posts: 9
    Apprentice Traveler
    Answer ✓
    Just looked at some other threads for other satnavs, The secret is the "example" for entering a latlong position is your actual position. tried and tested.

Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,871
    Superuser
    edited April 2019
    HI @Whatsisname

You can only find out the Long/Lat of your current position on the GO 5200 not that for any specific place.

You might consider if you would get any benefit from downloading the Mapcode app to your smart Phone. Mapcodes only work with Tomtom Units.

When you open the app you can search using an address, Long and Lat, a UK Post code or a Mapcode. If you use the Hybrid map in the app, which is like the Sat view in Google Earth, then you can pinpoint an exact spot. When you have got the spot you are given the Long/Lat for it as well as a Mapcode and an address for it.

If you are in the UK and put the Mapcode DH.FX where you would type in a search then select the first result of the search you are taken to the middle gate at the front of Buck House. If you are not in the UK put GBR in front of the map code..

Mapcodes are worldwide and accurate enough to pick a parking bay in a car park.

Doug
  • Whatsisname
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi DougLap,
    Thank you for getting back. I noted your comment about only finding lat long from currant location.
    I tried and couldn't seem to find where I currantly am (in back garden). could you run me through what buttons I should be tapping? I am looking to find the lat long of a particular position I am stood at on occasion.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,871
    Superuser
    edited April 2019
    HI @Whatsisname

Tap Menu
    Tap Search or Drive to
    Tap Whole Map top right of the screen
    Scroll down to Long/Lat
    Select . `The 3 examples of the formats the GO6200 accepts are the figures for your current position.

If you are in the UK then if your unit offers Drive To when you tap Menu then you have the Search method set as Step by Step.. If so I recommend that in System you change the Search method to Quick Search.as this solves a problem with UK Postcodes.in rural areas.

Doug
  • Whatsisname
    Apprentice Traveler
    Answer ✓
    Just looked at some other threads for other satnavs, The secret is the "example" for entering a latlong position is your actual position. tried and tested.