Why buy a product if it will cost you loads of money to keep it update and it does not even work!? — TomTom Community

Why buy a product if it will cost you loads of money to keep it update and it does not even work!?

landielandie Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
Okay my question, why buy a damn tom tom if it just suddenly decides to stop working because the Southern African map is expired.. and my tom tom which the amount was R999 which i paid... now i updated it(and still after update it does not wants to work i had to factory reset it) and need to pay the exact same amount for a new map... why????? then i might as well take that amount of money and go and buy me a new navigator that will be an Garmen. This is my 2nd tom tom (the previous one just stop working and i tried fixing it) and last tom tom! I will never again purchase a tom tom. Just give an update on the maps like google gives updates on their products. I feel this is day light robbery. So every few months when the roads upgrade your expecting your clients to spend R800 - R1000 for new maps? then i would rather use google maps where i can download the map and its saved and i won't be spending up to a R1000 for a damn map. This is outrages.

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,914
    Superuser
    Hi @landie

The current Tomtom units have lifetime Map updates, which occur about 4 times a year and depending on the Model you can have Lifetime traffic and camera up dates. No need to pay for a new map. Haven't bought a new map for a few years now.

The old units supplied by Tomtom and also their competitors used to be sold with a map and sometimes a period of free updates . Once that period was over then if you want to update the map then you had to pay.

So as you say if you want to use the map update cost as a contribution to the purchase of a current model with lifetime map updates which means you can include Tomtom as they also include World Maps for life.

Doug
  • landielandie Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    from my side of the desktop for a new map i must pay it costs the same as the day i bought my tom tom... the point i'm making why pay so much for a map that is expensive and costs are the same as a brand new tom tom.

and what ticks me off, when i updated my previous tom tom it just stop operating, yes i tried resetting and reinstalling firmware. so at the end of the day i went and bought a new one. now the South African map has expired and the tom tom stopped working again just to get it to operate i had to restore factory settings and yes its frustrating
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,914
    Superuser
    edited April 2019
    Hi @landie

When you bought you old unit you probably could not get lifetime updates for maps etc. whoever made the units. Now you can buy a Tomtom unit for probably not much more than you paid for your old unit and have World Maps with lifetime updates, traffic and Speed cameras. The new units have much more internal memory, circa 16gb, and the ability to add as much as 32gb of extra memory, whereas, many of the Old units only have 2gb or maybe 4gb of internal memory and many had no option to add extra memory. The European Map is now circa 9gb in size.

You also do not need a PC to update and add maps to the current units unless your Wifi is slow.. The current models either using data via your phone or where they have an inbuilt sim can get Traffic updates every 2 minutes.

Seems there have been many improvements over the years although I admit some of the old unit abilities are not replicated on the current units ie Creating and Managing POI files on the unit. You can however add POI and .GPX route files from Tomtom or elsewhere.

So you can now get map updates 4 times a year for free.

Doug