Rider 500 not asking how I want to travel. — TomTom Community

Rider 500 not asking how I want to travel.

Billie_2Billie_2 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
Hello there, I have a new 500 and think it's easy enough to set up and use. However, in my route plan settings I have it set to always ask so I can choose.
I search for a destination, select it, get the ride symbol (bike) and the address, I click the ride symbol and it goes to, "lets go".
Should it not ask how I want to travel, i.e. fastest, windy etc?

Answers

• WillmchWillmch Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I don't think it will ask you that every time because that gets selected depending on what you have chosen under route planning settings of your device.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,934 Superuser
    edited April 23
    Hi @Billie_2

I have not got the Rider but on my TT unit in Route Planning the only place the Option to Ask me so I can Choose is under the Heading of When a Faster route is Possible.

There is no Option under the Heading Always Plan this Type of Route that says Ask me so I can Choose.

So can I suggest that you check what heading your option is.under.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,974 Superusers
    edited April 23
    Hi
    @Billie_2
    @Willmch

The NAV2/3 method of asking what kind of route to take, happening on a route by route basis during planning, is NOT available on the latest NAV4/5 (Wi-Fi) devices

On NAV4/5 (Wi-Fi) devices you Plan and Calculate the route
    The vast majority of the time I want the 'Fastest route' (Job Done)

But If say I want to 'Avoid Motorways'...
    After Planning and Calculating the route
    I Tap the 4Dot (....) Menu --> Current Route --> Change route type... Choose Route Type required 'Like' (Avoid Motorways) the device recalculates the route avoiding Motorways

Note... This change only applies to the current route
    For the next route, the device will default back to the 'Route Type' you have chosen in the Settings menus i.e... For me the 'Fastest route'

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    To me, if I simply search for an address it should ask, not assume I want fastest every time.
    I now know how to get round this, but it means a few unnecessary taps.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,974 Superusers
    edited April 23
    Hi
    @yoozy
    The 1st Section of the Route planning Menu Screen applies when you have already planned a route and you are driving the Route
    On the Live Tomtom Devices 'When a faster route become available' the device will....
    Option... (1) = Don't ask me... Always take the Fastest route
    Option... (2) = Always ask me... Before taking the Fastest route
    Option... (3) = Don't Ask me at all... Stick to the planned Route

Route planning screen... Section (1)
    kxgfxxwo4v6x.jpg
    The 2nd Section of the Route planning Menu is the default Route planning type for ALL Route planning
    Option... (1) = Fastest route
    Option... (2) = Shortest route
    Option... (3) = Most eco-friendly route
    Etc... Etc...

Route planning screen... Section (2)
    2xefqogbgcgx.jpg
    yoozy wrote: »
    To me, if I simply search for an address it should ask, not assume I want fastest every time.... I now know how to get round this, but it means a few unnecessary taps
    The earlier Devices required me to enter my Route type every time, but at least 95% of my journeys I would choose the Fastest Route

The earlier NAV2/3 devices are Menu focused
    Asking all of the questions and button pushing at the start... Then device planned the route

The Latest NAV4/5 (Wi-Fi) devices are Map Centric (Tomtom Speak)
    The Route planning has the highest priority (95% of the time I want the Fastest Route... Job Done)
    On the odd occasions I want something different, say I want to 'Avoid Motorways'...
    After Planning and Calculating the route
    I Tap the 4Dot (....) Menu --> Current Route --> Change route type... Choose Route Type required 'Like' (Avoid Motorways) the device recalculates the route avoiding Motorways

ATB YFM

Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

So, if its set to windy and always ask. A faster route will be available and it’ll ask me?
    If it’s set to fastest and always ask, it won’t?

So if I’m on the bike I’ll more than likely plan a thrill 90% of the time. If I need to get somewhere quicker I can use the search and keep the route planner on fastest.

I’ll get there 👍🏿