TomTom GO for cars: Needs a separate battery for inputting destinations — TomTom Community

TomTom GO for cars: Needs a separate battery for inputting destinations

To enter a new destination - the device charger is awkwardly placed and /or sunlight obscures the screen. I need to take it out of the holder to enter new addresses. The main battery empties in seconds. It needs a separate battery that is dedicated to these entries - that will last 30 minutes or so when off the charger.
Tagged:

Answers

• LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,403 Superuser
    Hi @Noel Hodson

For your battery problem that no longer holds the charge:

Depending on the model of your device, you can change the internal battery yourself. Other users are more qualified than me to explain that. It will be at your own risk.
    Look at this message from @dhn :
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1213310/#Comment_1213310

Or a workaround, connect a 'power bank' as it exists for smartphones, tablets etc ... A small one would be enough for your use "enter addresses/routes". You may have one already at home.
    ybku0urx753r.png

Regards.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,103 Superusers
    edited April 21
    To enter a new destination - the device charger is awkwardly placed and /or sunlight obscures the screen. I need to take it out of the holder to enter new addresses. The main battery empties in seconds. It needs a separate battery that is dedicated to these entries - that will last 30 minutes or so when off the charger.
    Hi
    @Noel Hodson

Charge the device for a Minimum of 2 hours preferably 3 hours
    You should get about 1 Hour autonomous use with a fully charged internal Battery

The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 WiFi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power

When the device is In use they are designed to be always connected to a power supply
    The Tomtom supplied Power Adapter is rated at 5Volts 1.2Amps
    Even after you have recharged the device externally via a mains charger, when in use in the vehicle, they will still require being connected to a Tomtom supplied Power Adapter (Or a proven suitable 3rd party Power adapter)

(1)... Do NOT attach them to a dashboard USB port in your vehicle as they normally only supply 500mAmp (0.5Amp) and are for data transfer and not supplying power: See... Note (1) & (2)

(2)... Using a NONE Tomtom 3rd party underpowered or a mismatched cigarette lighter charger can cause the device to go into Power Saving Mode: See... Note (1)

(3)... On the Models with a built-in SIM, the reduction of power to the SIM can cause the dropping of the traffic info: Note (3)

Note (1)... At an (Undisclosed) percentage of battery discharge, the device will try to save its power requirements by dimming the screen and eventually powers off the device... Devices with a built-in SIM Card may also lose Live Traffic services
    Note (2)... A dashboard USB port can also fool a NAV4 Device into entering 'Updating Mode' and display the Connected to your Computer splash screen
    Note (3)... I tried connecting my Tomtom GO 6200 to my Cars USB port, checked the connection status it reports 'Connected over USB' --> 'GPRS (SIM) Disconnected'

As a test...
    Try using the Tomtom supplied cable and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter

The Charger Adaptor and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom WILL run and charge the device at the same time

Many 3rd party Mismatched Charger Adaptors won't run and charge the device at the same time
    See... It's not simply a power thing.....
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1182024/#Comment_1182024

ATB YFM