My Drive on Windows 10 Computer will not go past the device selection screen. — TomTom Community

My Drive on Windows 10 Computer will not go past the device selection screen.

Tried restarts and repeated uninstalls and downloads.

Best Answer

Answers

• LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,595
    Superuser
    edited April 2019
    Hi @eriskay

Your GO5200 is a Wifi device for your updates you have 2 possibilities:

- directly with Wifi without using your computer.
    or
    - with your computer only for the internet connection by installing before the software MyDrive Connect (MDC).

In both solutions, all the management and the launching of the updates are done in the device
    ==> Main Menu 4Dots..../Settings/Updates and New Items

To connect to your TomTom account and register your new device, it's also in your device.
    ==> Main Menu (4Dots....)/Settings/My Drive/ your email and passworld

For updates, don't do them all at the same time. The NaVCore first alone, then the map alone, then the speed cameras, etc...
    During the download if you use Wifi, connect your device to a power source, a main charger (2A smartphone) or a PC only for power (with MDC not active)

For more information see this FAQ and video:
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22781
    And
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/getstarted/p/4303

Regards.
  • eriskayeriskay Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    It is not possible to get the computer Route Planning pages as it will not go beyond the Manage your device even tho the device is already shown and not plugged in.
    Oddly, I can get to the page directly via Google Chrome and on signing in all is well. It is my computer based version that will not work.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,452
    Superusers
    edited May 2019
    Hi
    @eriskay

The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices like you’re GO 5200 normally update using Wi-Fi...
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    See Option... (2) Connect over USB

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    Updating your new NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here.....
    www.tomtom.com/getstarted
    Run MyDrive Connect.....
    Note... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

Note... MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar

27bxc59f2s23.png
    ATB YFM
  • SantaFeTomSantaFeTom Posts: 24 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    There is a gotcha with WIFI and MyDrive Connect, at least for my Go 620 WIFI. You cannot connect to Wifi if the Go is plugged into the computer via USB (e.g. for charging). Plugging it in establishes a connection via MyDrive Connect and any wifi connection is dropped. If you try to connect to wifi, it goes through the steps of connecting and then drops the connection. Watching my internet router during this, I can see the authorization step, the connection gets established and immediately the Go deauthorizes to drop the connection. Obviously it would be better for the Go to simply tell me that it can't connect to wifi if connected via MyDrive Connect since it isn't obvious to most people what is going wrong when they try to connect to wifi.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,131
    Superuser
    Hi @SantaFeTom

If your Wifi was not fast enough for the GO 620 wifi to satisfactorily manage updates then the alternative is to use a computer with MyDrive Connect on it.

You start MDC and when running connect the GO 620 via the USB at which point you will get the Flash screen re doing updates via Wifi. You ignore this and you can then continue running MDC in the background. You now use the Menu options on the GO620 to manage the update process whilst the GO620 uses the Computers wifi connection as its connection to the Tomtom servers.

Doug
    Superusers
    edited May 2019
    Hi
    @SantaFeTom
    SantaFeTom wrote: »
    There is a gotcha with WIFI and MyDrive Connect, at least for my Go 620 WIFI. You cannot connect to Wifi if the Go is plugged into the computer via USB (e.g. for charging). Plugging it in establishes a connection via MyDrive Connect and any wifi connection is dropped(Snip)
    You must ALSO have had MyDrive Connect running in the background on your PC
    See the Quote below, from the post above your post...
    That how Option...(2) The connecting over USB Works
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    (Snip)Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    Updating your new NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here.....
    www.tomtom.com/getstarted
    Run MyDrive Connect.....
    Note... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...

Note... MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar

27bxc59f2s23.png
    ATB YFM
    Superusers
    edited May 2019
    Hi
    @SantaFeTom
    SantaFeTom wrote: »
    There is a gotcha with WIFI and MyDrive Connect, at least for my Go 620 WIFI. You cannot connect to Wifi if the Go is plugged into the computer via USB (e.g. for charging). Plugging it in establishes a connection via MyDrive Connect and any wifi connection is dropped(Snip)
    Also, be aware... Connecting over Wi-Fi, drops the GPRS SIM Card Connection (But you will receive the 'Live Traffic' Info as usual but over the Wi-Fi Connection)
    See... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> System --> About... Scroll down to 'Data Connection'

ATB YFM