My Start 20 can no longer find a valid GPS signal. — TomTom Community

My Start 20 can no longer find a valid GPS signal.

I have gone through the lengthy update process installing MyDrive and updating this and the device, but nothing seems to have changed. I understand that the product is still fully supported, but can't find any advice on what to do next. Any help gratefulyl received, thank you!
Tagged:

Best Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,511
    Superuser
    edited April 2019 Accepted Answer
    Hi @ianmcf

Here is the wording from the Start manual. Note the bit I have put in Bold. Cannot remember if you are offered a Partial Reset rather than a Full Reset, when it asks you to confirm the action,if so select Partial

The Factory Restore Button.
    Tap this button to delete all your personal settings and restore the standard factory settings to your TomTom device.
    This is not a software update and will not affect the version of the software application installed on your device.
    Important: This feature deletes all your personal settings!

If you want to keep your personal information and settings, you should perform a full backup of your device before you reset the device. You can then restore all your personal information and settings after you reset the device.

This includes items such as your Home and Favourite locations and your personal menu.

Doug
  • ianmcfianmcf Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks Doug.

Apologies for asking something in the User Manual!!

Answers

• dhndhn Posts: 33,301
    Superusers
    Is the battery fully charged?

Try a drum reset on the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds.
    Thank you.,

I have tried this a few times but unfortunately does not help, still can't find satellites :(
    Superuser
    Hi @ianmcf

Try a Factory Reset.

Doug
    Thanks very much. I will do that, but before I do can I ask will that take me back to a point where I need to reinstall all the updates again?
    Superuser
    edited April 2019 Accepted Answer
    Hi @ianmcf

Here is the wording from the Start manual. Note the bit I have put in Bold. Cannot remember if you are offered a Partial Reset rather than a Full Reset, when it asks you to confirm the action,if so select Partial

The Factory Restore Button.
    Tap this button to delete all your personal settings and restore the standard factory settings to your TomTom device.
    This is not a software update and will not affect the version of the software application installed on your device.
    Important: This feature deletes all your personal settings!

If you want to keep your personal information and settings, you should perform a full backup of your device before you reset the device. You can then restore all your personal information and settings after you reset the device.

This includes items such as your Home and Favourite locations and your personal menu.

Doug
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks Doug.

Apologies for asking something in the User Manual!!
    OK, well I was going to do the factory reset when I got home, but as I drove back it found the GPS signal, so the update must have fixed it but there was no satellite connection until I started driving around!

thanks for the support.

regards,

ian
    Superuser
    HI @ianmcf

Someone earlier to day with connection problems said that his suddenly started working when he created a route on the unit.

Doug