regarding lifetime updates

Stanleysteamer
Stanleysteamer Registered Users Posts: 17
Master Explorer
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
My wife picked up her new GO Basic today. She bought it for the lifetime updates. On the box it says "Lifetime updates" but on her phone she has an email from TOmTon transactional which tells her "thans for connecting your device" it then offers her a map update service for one year only. Why is this?

Best Answer

Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,844
    Superuser
    Hi @Stanleysteamer

Because the emails wrong. If your updates suddenly stop contact Customer Support and get them to sort your account out.

All the updating and new items are loaded directly to the unit when it is connected to your Wifi. If your Wifi is slowish then you may need to use a PC but you only load the MyDrive Connect software from the Tomtom site and then connect the unit with MDC running in the background and still manage the operation using the GO Basic menu's.

One tip, if you are in the UK then in settings set the Search Option to Quick Search not Step by Step. The Quick Search method resolves the problem with Postcodes especially in rural areas..

Doug
  • Stanleysteamer
    Master Explorer
    The thing is still doing what I assume is its first update. I know from experience with my own TomTom that an update takes for ever. Once it has updated maybe we will know more Has to be said mine updates fine, and it is a different model but with lifetime updates too. do you know if it is possible to put two or even more devices on one account? Thanks for your info by the way.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,844
    Superuser
    edited April 2019
    Hi @Stanleysteamer

When doing Updates it is a good idea to do updates 1 item at a time not all together. If you have done that now don't stop it let it finish the job. Also if an update offered is a software update do that one first. When you have finished updating then it is suggested that you do a Soft Reset. With the unit on and working hold the ON/OFF button down for about 20 seconds until you hear the drumroll sound . It will boot up again with the files tidied up.

Yes you can put more than one unit on the same account. There is one potential problem with this however.

One of the features of the new units is that you can go onto the MyDrive webpage or the MyDrive App on your Phone or tablet and create a Route and send it to your device. However It sends it to all devices on the account so if you are at home and the other unit is being used their device will also change to the new sent route even if they are in mid journey. The solution for this is to opt out of your account on the Units and only log them into the account when you want to check and log update and Maps etc.. It does not send new updates to both devices at the same time it is just the routes you create. Logging out on the unit does not affect traffic etc.

Also you can use the MyDrive website to add 3rd Party POI files to your units and create and save routes you want in the future and send them to be stored on the units . All the modern units on the account will be loaded with the same POI and Route Files and if you delete from one it will delete from the other.

Doug
  • Stanleysteamer
    Master Explorer
    Doug, thanks for this really long answer. I have waded through it but I don't think my wife and I use POIs or even Routes. All we ever do is store destinations. So we are probably OK with that bit. I am glad that it appears we can use the laptop for both devices, which I think you are calling "units".
    My wife is currently going straight through our Wifi so it will take the time it takes. She doesn't want to get involved with my TomTom account on my laptop which is what I always use.
    So I suppose my next dumb question is still, how do I get more than one device/unit onto my account? Once I have done that how do I opt out of the account on the unit? Didn't think that was possible.
  • Stanleysteamer
    Master Explorer
    Hi Doug, I think, once her unit is all updates and ready to go we will be able to do what you have said, which is pretty clear. I am going top save this converstion if I can so i can return to it later on. thanks ever so much. Stan