Upgrade recommendations

Gellerbing
Gellerbing Registered Users Posts: 10
Master Traveler
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
I currently own a start XL and looking to upgrade due to it been no longer supported. I've been looking at the GO BASIC as it's currently on offer at halfords (£119), just wondered if its any good? Or is there any better ones for a similar price.

Answers

• miketorcy
    miketorcy Posts: 3,557
    Superuser
    Try to find a go520.
  • Gellerbing
    Master Traveler
    That ones over £200 😮. Looking for something around £150 or lower as on tight budget
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,831
    Superuser
    Hi @Gellerbing

The basic is a good unit the only other similar unit I have seen which is on Amazon for similar price is the Via52 which is inclusive of the handsfree facility. Both units only have a limited period of 3 months before the Camera updates will require renewal at a cost. The Maps and Traffic updates are Free with the latter requiring you to link a Smart Phone to the Unit whilst you are using it so will use a little of your data allowance.

The one thing to be aware of are the Start 42/52/62 which you may see similarly priced or even less. There is a Problem with these units as they do not have the option to choose Quick Search as you search method. This is a recommended option in the UK as otherwise with the Step By Step search method which is on the Start units you will have difficulties with some Postcodes particularly in more rural areas.

Hope that helps

Doug

• Gellerbing
    Master Traveler
    Thanks, my current one is a start XL and i found it difficult to find some small places too, which was pretty annoying at times.
    I'll do some research on the via 52 and compare it with the go basic, they both sound fine to me but need to think if i would need the handsfree.
    Thank you