Apple carplay integration — TomTom Community

Apple carplay integration

AndyMcIAndyMcI Posts: 2 [New Traveler]
I have read through everything I can relating to the subject on here, and there are just no answers.
I have been using Tomtom since it first appeared on Dell PDA,s, back in the day when you could actually call telephone support, and speak to the most helpful people around.
The once leader of the Nav pack seems happy to slide backwards in the ratings, whilst refusing to communicate with loyal customers of what must be over 15 years.
I now use a garmin on my pushbike, a garmin on my motorcycle and google maps on my iphone on apple car play. If tomtom dont keep us in the loop, my long time love affair with Tomtom will end with my next subscription renewal, and that is a sad way for things to end.

Comments

• PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 378 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Hi AndyMcI,

Welcome to the forum.

You're saying the same as other TomTom users have been saying in this TomTom forum ever since TomTom Go Mobile for iOS was first released and especially after TomTom killed off the better predecessor TomTom iOS app.

Unfortunately, TomTom doesn't listen here, nor does the CEO take any notice of emails sent directly to him.

The way that TomTom acts is that it doesn't want to be in the SatNav arena any more and it certainly doesn't want to make use of its customers' opinions and requests for free research. TomTom seems to only wants to sell very basic SatNavs to the undemanding general public and not feature rich units to road warriors and enthusiasts.

This forum is very quiet compared to its heyday, I suspect that many former TomTom users have now moved to Garmin or other of TomTom's competitors.
  • AndyMcIAndyMcI Posts: 2 [New Traveler]
    I don't understand the ongoing silence from Tomtom.

As users, we can only conclude that as the software has been released in beta to favourable reviews, that a fundamental flaw has been uncovered, or that Tomtom have taken the strategic commercial decision to step away from CarPlay. Either way, out of respect to a loyal customer base, they should keep us in the loop.

Bigger companies than Tomtom have collapsed when they get their customer service so badly wrong.
  • hvdledenhvdleden Posts: 2 [Novice Seeker]
    Guys , is it possible to import my gpx routes to my tomtom mobile app to drive them.
    I have several routes in mydrive but dont know how to access them in the Mobile app??

Please help me out
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,003
    Superuser
    HI @hvdleden

No. Only your favourites.

Doug
  • hvdledenhvdleden Posts: 2 [Novice Seeker]
    DougLap wrote: »
    HI @hvdleden

No. Only your favourites.

Doug

Ok , thats pretty stupid then , thnx for letting me know.
  • pajtest_un39pajtest_un39 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    edited May 2019
    Apple CarPlay NOW!!!!!! Several other third party applications have been available since IOS 12 was released, ALL the way back in October 2018!!! Why are you so SLOW! :s
  • knoxvilleknoxville Posts: 24 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    hvdleden wrote: »
    Guys , is it possible to import my gpx routes to my tomtom mobile app to drive them.
    I have several routes in mydrive but dont know how to access them in the Mobile app??

Please help me out

Nope because they want you to buy another TomTom device for that!! Motor drivers use this quite often. If they could do this with the Go version for mobile, all the expensive TomTom devices would be not needed anymore because everybody allready had a smartphone.

It’s easy to code for them. But it’s All strategies. Don’t expect it.
    Superuser
    Hi @knoxville

Can you explain why you can see routes on the Android App. The OIS app cannot do it. I expect there is a reason why one can't and the other can. May not be a Tomtom problem.

Doug

edited June 2019
    Hi @DougLap,

I thought that NavKit, the engine behind GO Mobile iOS app, was designed to 'sit' on the platform i.e. Android, iOS, and TomTom's own PNDs (Linux?) so that all devices could share the same navigation 'GO' code so that all devices regardless of platform would have the same abilities and functions. Therefore, GO Mobile iOS should be able to import GPX routes.

I also thought that NavKit was customisable so that third parties could write add-on apps/programs such as could be done with the old Nav2 engine.

Regards,
    Superuser
    edited June 2019
    Hi @PrivateerUK

I have the Apple Mobile Go on my phone and it does not have My Routes in its menu. If I send a Destination, Stops or Save a Route and Sync Route files from My Drive they are not received by the IOS App.

So all the Poi files and Routes that My Drive syncs with my TT units are absent from the IOS App only the Favourites (My Places) are synced across to it.

I believe that some but maybe not all these features are available on the Android version. My assumption would be that Tomtom would want the Apps to have similar capability and so something has prevented them from doing so...

It is to be hoped that some of these missing features will be available in the New Apple CarPlay version that they are seeking to issue but has been delayed. I say delayed on the basis that Tomtom historically, like many companies Ie Apple and Android etc, do not officially announce new products well in advance of their launch and so I have assumed that their announcement early this month was in anticipation of a quick follow up. We shall have to wait and see.

Doug
  • knoxvilleknoxville Posts: 24 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Like I mention, if they made all these functions available for all devices that will kill their own market. This is just a marketing strategy. The devices focused on motor driving are capable of importing GPX files . Why would somebody buy them if they can do the same job with a simple app?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,478
    Superusers
    Hi

Isn't the difference between the Tomtom GO Apps on the Apple and Android platforms, more to do with Apples locked down totally controlled Operating system and the more open Android Operating system

ATB YFM
  • Peter_Thornton10Peter_Thornton10 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    At last! Tom Tom Go is working on Apple Car Play. Just one issue, I can’t see the small strip on the right which shows what’s coming up e.g. petrol stations, cameras, delays etc. Is there any way to get this?
    Superuser
    edited June 2019
    Hi @Peter_Thornton10

No you cannot display the route bar in Carplay although it is being displayed on the App on the Phone at the same time..

The Camera Icons appear on the Road in the map and are verbally notified with what Type of camera they are if you have it set to do so.

If you want to know about any petrol stations then tap the screen and then Petrol Station on the menu page. The same applies to Parking.

I have not seen any delay information yet but there have been non whilst I was using it. Also the App on the phone will tell you if there are any faster routes and give you an option to press Yes but I don't know if that translates to the Carplay screen.

Doug
    edited June 2019
    Hi @YamFazMan and @knoxville
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi

Isn't the difference between the Tomtom GO Apps on the Apple and Android platforms, more to do with Apples locked down totally controlled Operating system and the more open Android Operating system

ATB YFM

as @YamFazMan says, the three platforms are different and iOS is locked down. However in the original iOS TomTom Navigator app you could load POIs and show them on screen, so if POIs could be utilised by iOS then surely GPX routes could be too as GPX routes are only a collection of POIs used to force a route?

But perhaps my logic is flawed! :)

Regards,