Update downloads, but won't install

GrayknightGrayknight Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
My maps were corrupted because I had to shut down my computer while the so-called "update" was stuck for three days at 92 hours left. I've been trying to reinstall the maps for five days. MyDrive Connect says the software on my device, which it identifies as a Via 620, is up to date. In fact, it installed a small update just this morning. It also shows a check mark on the TV icon showing that the download of the update to my (Windows 7) PC was successful. I've cleared the cache and redownloaded four times. Each time the download has finished successfully. However, when I try to install the maps to my device, MyDrive Connect shows 0% with 44 minutes to go for about 20 seconds, then says "Sorry, some items weren't updated." I've been through all of the FAQs, watched all of the videos, and tried every suggestion I've come across, but the maps won't install. FWIW, the maps require more space than is available on the device, so I'm trying to install them to the freshly formatted sd card. Please, if someone has figured this out, could you post step-by-step instructions? I really don't want to have to buy another GPS -- this one was working fine before I made the mistake of trying to update it with the most recent map. Thanks. Any help gratefully appreciated.

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 1,089 Superuser
    Hi @Grayknight

When you installed the card did it ask you what you wanted it to be formatted for ie Maps or Routes..

Also there have been instances where the make if the Micro SD Card has caused problems. It is suggested that you get a Micro SD Class 10 card from Sandisk , Samsung or similar major maker and bought from a reliable source to avoid fakes .

Doug
  • GrayknightGrayknight Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    The device never asks that question. It just says the SD card has been formatted successfully. The card is a SanDisk 16 GB, which was working fine before the latest so-called "update". I tried one other thing with an odd result -- I thought maybe the card might not actually be formatted, so I removed it, inserted it into an adapter, plugged it into my PC, and tried to format it through Windows Explorer. I got an error message saying the card is write protected. Would that be normal for a card that was formatted by the device?
    Hi @Grayknight

I have taken a Card out of a Tomtom unit and put Into my PC with an Adapter and reformatted it with no problem. It is not normal for a card to say it is Write Protected because it has been formatted by a Tomtom. Has the Adapter lock been moved to lock the card.

When you put the card in and ask for it to be formatted make sure you set the format to be to Fat32 and do a Full Format not a Quick Format.

A genuine Sandisk memory card should be fine. Tomtom units can be sensitive to the memory Cards being used so if necessary try another similar make and ensure you get it from a reliable source to avoid fakes. Some lesser known makes have been known to not work. There should be an option in the Settings menu that you can select to Format any card inserted in the unit if the unit does not ask you when you put the card in.

Hope this helps.

Doug.
  • GrayknightGrayknight Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    First, thanks for your help, DougLap. I really appreciate it. I'm happy to say that the problem is solved. The SD card that was in the device must have somehow become corrupted, possibly due to the interrupted update. I replaced that card with a new SanDisk Ultra card, let the device format the new card, and the installation of the maps went off without a hitch.

One other thing, FYI. Initially, I decided to format a new microSD card using my PC before installing it. The formatting completed successfully (Fat32, Full format), but when I inserted that card into the device the window popped up that said the card had to be formatted before the device could use it. When I touched OK, the device displayed an error message saying the the card couldn't be used. Fortunately, I had bought a multi-pack of the SanDisk microSD cards, so I removed the unusable card and replaced it with a new, unformatted card. The device formatted it and the installation of the maps was successful. Hopefully, this information will help another frustrated user in the future.
    Hi @Grayknight

Thank you.

Doug