Lost voice again! — TomTom Community

Lost voice again!

My Tomtom app keeps losing the voice...Tomtom support answered my email enquiry with some stock answers, which did not help. The voice came back of its own accord and today disappeared again.

I know it's only £14.99 for the year, but I need a satnav that I trust and have always relied on Tomtom standalones....this app is useless as it is.

I have been using Tomtom for years....might have to change to Copilot if it can't be made to work properly.

Comments

• AsprinAsprin Posts: 271 [Supreme Pioneer]
    @riverchet,

I have done this many times turned off voice or made it so low you could not hear it.

Turn on TomTom and go to menu

2JyUwxJ.jpg

Next thing you do with out knowing it you turned off the sound.

cRAcFFR.jpg

The sound button is in the wrong place and you can very easily turn it off and not know you did that.

Sometimes there is no voice info with out doing anything wrong.

I just turn off TomTom and back on again and the voice info is back.

It seems to be with a problem with Bluetooth.

Sometimes I have to turn it off Bluetooth also to get voice back again.

But you know right away you have a problem so you stop and check.

As to it being a TomTom problem hard to say.

I have never had voice go out after a while driving you know right away if you have a problem.

• riverchetriverchet Posts: 8 [Master Traveler]
    Your reply reminded me of this issue, of the volume control being in the wrong place, having checked the volume appeared to be high. I will take it out for a short trip later and see what's what.
    It's amazing how quickly you forget simple things like possibly turning off the volume without realising it. Not so sure this is going to solve it, but thanks very much for taking the time to reply.
  • riverchetriverchet Posts: 8 [Master Traveler]
    Asprin

Well...I have tried everything and it still does not work. I took great care with the volume control under the menu button and ensured it is on. TomTom support told me to do a system reset, after which I took it out for a short trip around a couple of local junctions and it worked perfectly. Today I had a 30 mile journey to do and ...no voice.

Most times I try to start a new journey, I get the voice giving me the ETA...then nothing.

I have asked for a refund( though I doubt I will get one)...as we are off to Scotland in a few weeks and will need a satnav.

Thank you for giving it a go!

• Nevz1Nevz1 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have just uninstalled Go from my cars GPS head unit, because of the broken up voice guidance problems. Will this latest version be any better?????? Thanks
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 6,407
    Community Manager
    @Nevz1 The app is for smartphones and has not been tested on head units.
  • Nevz1Nevz1 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks for the comment, but I'm disappointed. Have used Tom Tom navigation for years and enjoyed the simplicity of it, and now with the availability of these head units i think it would be in the interest of the company to invest some time in sorting out these sound problems. I have read other earlier comments on this problem and it still persists. The map directions work fine, Samanthas computerized voice works fine, but when downloading other voices they turn to rubbish. Regards.
  • Per5678Per5678 Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    Jürgen wrote: »

Maybe not, but I doubt you are able to test the app on every phone in existence either. You should instead focus on supporting each individual OS-release. Android head-units offer the exact same functionality as a phone running the same version of Android. Any difference in hardware-components is handled by drivers in the operating-system. The app should be fine if only the head-unit has online access (for example tethering via a phone), working storage for map data, a working GPS, a touchscreen and is running a supported version of Android.
  • tgoldtgold Posts: 2,187 [Revered Voyager]
    Per5678 wrote: »
    Jürgen wrote: »

Android head-units offer the exact same functionality as a phone running the same version of Android. Any difference in hardware-components is handled by drivers in the operating-system. The app should be fine if only the head-unit has online access (for example tethering via a phone), working storage for map data, a working GPS, a touchscreen and is running a supported version of Android.
    If that was true then GO Mobile would be working well with all Head Units. The fact that people have problems suggests that your claim of "the exact same functionality" is not accurate.
  • SinglePointSafetySinglePointSafety Posts: 55 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    riverchet, is your phone's bluetooth on? If so, it will probably output the ETA, but once the phone is 'properly connected' to the car via BT, you will not hear any sound from the phone's speakers - this BT issue has been discussed in many threads and no sign of TT fixing it any time soon.
  • AsprinAsprin Posts: 271 [Supreme Pioneer]
    One thing I have found is when I have send messages to my smartwatch via Bluetooth.
    Whatsapp,Messanger, Email, etc, etc then get in my car and the phone connects to my car radio via Bluetooth for hand free calling.

I start TomTomGo and setup to a location no voice comes out.

When I go into my smartwatch setting on my smartphone and turn off receiving any announcement TomTomGo voice works again.

I tested again and turned on announcement over my smartwatch no voice on TomtomGO.

The same with other GPS app I have tested.

Announcement over my smartwatch via Bluetooth no voice with TomTomGo or any other GPS app.

Maybe this will help TomTom run down the problem or it is a problem with any smartwatch receiving announcement via Bluetooth.

PS:

There is no problems getting phone call that has always worked over the radio via Bluetooth with or with out my smartwatch getting announcement.