Issue ON XXL device when updated GIS WNRP — TomTom Community

Issue ON XXL device when updated GIS WNRP

Hi VikramK or any other moderator, r anyone who can help.

I have an XXL purchased in USA during a holiday there in 2011, I have updated as requested by TT 3 days ago for the GIS update but now after updating, the device has stopped working despite there being spare memory etc.

I’m desperate to get it working again as we leave for the USA in 2 weeks again. How can I fix this? Happy to have any help on this. It turns on but freezes on the start up screen after the drum roll.

Update: I have removed all but one voice and removed USA maps and then the New Zealand maps (left one set of maps on at any one time). I have reset every thing I can think of and reset the device (holding on/off button down for 30 seconds or more) . Tried updating it again and still not working. Loads of memory left now I have removed USA maps, only used 10% as NZ maps are small file size.
It still remains on the start up screen. I wish I had never updated it.

Can anyone help? Very disappointed TomTom initiated this update with me but don’t help.

Tagged:

Answers

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,902 Moderator
    edited April 2019
    Hi @Razzlla

Welcome to the community!

Maps have been reactivated on your account and I would recommend that you try the steps here:

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12412

(UNDER- I have a map to download on my account)

Regards
    Vikram :)
  • RazzllaRazzlla Posts: 12 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi Vikram, I uninstalled the application as per the video from both device and pc using TomTom home, and reinstalled it. The XXL device still just shows the start up screen when not connected to pc and does not work. It worked perfectly before I did the gis update earlier this week. It is totally unresponsive and I can only connect to pc by holding the on/off button down for 30 seconds to reset it, then it recognises it’s connected to pc. Looks like it does not like the new application software? Is there another “hard boot “ to try? Happy to go back to factory settings and remove everything Inc voices etc as long as I have USA and New Zealand maps to use. Going to USA in 13 days so really want to fix this please.
    Ps I tried 3 times to uninstall and reinstall the application with same result in a frozen start up screen . I removed all the software on the device including the start up screen logo in case there was glitch there with the new software update but that still did not fix it. I deleted the NZ maps and tried again but still not fixed. I have kept a copy on my pc of both USA and NZ maps and tried the device with one or non of these loaded, still no fix. Any ideas? I’m out of them!
    @Razzlla

I don't see any video under this: I have a map to download on my account

It looks you tried the steps under- I don't have a map to download

Regards
    Vikram
    Hi Vikram, thanks for the reply. Much appreciated

Yes I had used the wrong option, but now I have followed all the steps to download from my account and re formatted the device etc as instructed, and it still freezes on start up screen.
    As soon as I had downloaded from pc it disconnected from TomTom home and just displays the Tom Tom logo. Won’t turn off either, so have to hold button down for 30 seconds to power off. In this state TomTom home on the pc does not see the device either, I have to hold button down for 30s reset while it is connected up to pc, then TomTom home sees the device. It was working perfectly before the gis update earlier this week. Any ideas? Is there an internal reset switch on an XXL?
    Ps initially only downloaded NZ map after downloading other files to make sure memory was not a problem, but it did not work, so downloaded the USA maps too. Can’t understand it as device is not that old and we primarily use it when on hol in USA. Looking like I will have to buy a new one, but might not be a Tom Tom after this experience! Hopefully you will think of a solution. Thanks.
  • JokeHHJokeHH Posts: 7 [Master Traveler]
    Hi VikramK,

I have the same issue, anyway you could help me out? Need the device late today when i travel to Germany.

Regards
    joke
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,966
    Superuser
    edited April 2019
    Hi @JokeHH

Bit late in the day for @Vikram to respond. It will be Monday now I suspect.

Have flagged him that probably want an answer to this topic .

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1636392#Comment_1636392

Doug
    Hi @DougLap
    thanks, so you know if someone else could help me out? Any other moderator? Need the device to work when i ravel to Germany tomorrow morning :(

Again thanks for tagging @VikramK and mentioning the other topic.

Joke
    Thanks, couldn't find the number on the website. Now I see they just closed :( do you know if the web supports has longer openings hours?
    Superuser
    Hi @JokeHH

Sorry No.

Doug
    Thanks for your support, I will have to wait.
    Hi @DougLap and @JokeHH , looks like it’s definitely a software problem, I was beginning to think it was a hardware issue with my unit.
    Hopefully someone at TT (VikramK?) will be able to help but not in time for your Germany Trip JokeHH. I am travelling to USA in 12 days time and need a sat nav so looking at getting a really cheap one from Walmart if TomTom can’t fix this in time. The other option for you is to buy a German SIM card with some data on it and use google maps with your phone plugged into cigarette socket and physically fixed to the hire car dashboard using blue tack. Shame we have to resort to this sort of thing when we have bought a device with adequate maps on from TomTom in good faith. Good luck with the trip and hope it gets resolved soon for both of us!
    Superuser
    edited April 2019
    Hi @Razzlla

Be aware that if yo buy a unit in the US that depending on which model Traffic will not work in your area when you return. I am aware the after a gentle conversation with Customer Support they may change the Traffic Area settings for you if possible.

Doug.
    Hi again @VikramK ,
    Any suggestions on how to fix this update software problem affecting at least 2 devices now? (See message train above) I’m travelling to USA next week and need a gps device. If you or anyone at TomTom can’t help, I will have to buy a new gps, due to an update TomTom asked me to perform. Not very good from my perspective, I’m sure you will agree. Any ideas? As I have previously stated the XXL550 was working perfectly with USA and NZ maps loaded prior to attempting the gps update you initiated.

Peter
    Hi @vikram or any other modarater, or anyone else who can help.

I have tried re loading the operating system and maps as advised by @Vikram but after updating the XXL550 device for GIS changes as requested by TomTom , the device has just stopped working and freezes on start up. It worked great before for both USA and NZ maps.
    I’M GETTING DESPERATE AS GOING TO USA IN 4 DAYS.
    I NEED A SAT NAV FOR THE 3 WEEK HOLIDAY.

Is there anyway I can return the sat nav to original settings? It all worked great before the update. I can live without the eta info available etc.

Only used this USA bought sat nav for holidays etc so it’s not been used every day and is in excellent condition.
    It appears I’m not the only one with this problem, see above train of posts detailing the issue with mine and others devices.

If I can’t fix this, due to the TomTom initiated update, I will have to buy another sat nav when I land in USA next week. If I can’t get this problem fixed It won’t be a TomTom device I purchase, as I have understandably begun lose faith in TomTom following them initiating this problem.

Please can someone help with a solution?
    edited April 2019
    Hi @Razzlla

I understand your concern here.

Unfortunately, there is nothing more left for me to advise after the restore process. :(

I can only recommend that you try it again. Format - restore - Download the map which has been activated on your account.

Regards
    Vikram
    Hi Vikram,
    Thanks for the reply. I have re formatted twice more with the same result. when I look at contents of the XXL using explorer there are files there say "Recovered File Fragments", these MUST be from the TomTom download as the device has been formatted and wiped clean. is the problem the software download from TomTom? the device worked perfectly until I updated it.
    See attached screenshot of the tomtom xxl device files. This happens every time I reformat and download.
    there seems a lot more people with same problem, too many for it to be an individual soft or hardware issue.
    regards

Razzlla

mk5td6h4yhjt.jpg
    hcqtsme1rsnh.docx