Sold lifetime mas — TomTom Community

Sold lifetime mas

Kerri7425Kerri7425 Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
Why have I just been sold lifetime map updates, when I asked for help on map updates. I said I didn't really want to buy updates because my device was so old I was looking to buy a new one that would be better for use in my motor home, I was told even if I buy new I would still need to buy updates and that I could use the map updates for any device. So I purchased lifetime maps for £99.99. I have look at new satnavs and find they come with free map updates so I am not very pleased. How do I stop the payment, the phone number on the email to say I could cansel the direct debit is not working. Can I get some help please.

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,929 Superuser
    edited April 9
    Hi @Kerri7425

This sounds really odd. Sorry to say this but it has been commented on here that there is at least one Fake Tomtom website. Can you find in your history the website you contacted and any telephone numbers.

Doug

@VikramK
    Hi @Kerri7425

This has been flagged to Tomtom to look at in the meantime what is the Tomtom unit you are talking about as I don't recognise the Tomtom unit you list in your Profile.

Doug

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,925 TomTom Moderator
    edited April 11
    Hi @Kerri7425

We don't sell Lifetime maps...

I don't find an order on your account as well.

Which website did you visit for support.??

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.
  • Kerri7425Kerri7425 Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I was on the tomtom site trying to update maps and couldn't, a chat box opened offering me help & I explained the prob, I then got a phone call back from tech support,
    My tomtom is a VIA120.

I was told lifetime updates was £119.99 & have been sent a message from GPS update centre uk to tell me that £143.99 will be taken from my account on 15/04/29I have phoned twice on 0121 364 4080 and been told that accounts dept would call me back.
    Regards
    Payment ref CAS-601665

Kerri
    edited April 10
    Hi @Kerri7425

This looks odd. Does your Vis 120 start with the 2 letters here.

VIA 120 (LIVE) (AN/AU/FM)

If it does they are obsolete and Tomtom have stopped supporting them.

A search for the telephone number shows some odd results.

Can you cut and paste the Website address here please.

Time to speak to the Bank I think. Flagged this to Vikram at Tomtom
    I have be onto my bank and cancelled the payment, but it's still a bit of a worry that I thought I was on your site and how easy it is to be fooled.
  • justmebrowsingjustmebrowsing Posts: 389 [Supreme Pioneer]
    I'm sorry Kerri but it certainly sounds like you've been scammed/robbed. Never heard of a pop-up chatbox or chance to buy lifetime maps or a company calling themselves GPS Update Centre UK either

For sure, contact your bank/paypal or however you paid ASAP and get the payment stopped/reversed. Worst case, contact the police!
    edited April 11
    Hi @Kerri7425

I do not work for Tomtom. I am a customer like you . VikramK is a Tomtom Employee and he has been flagged that you have come back with more information.

Can you cut and Paste the Website address please this will help Tomtom as they do try to take down fake sites.

You are not the only one who can get caught. I keep getting calls to say that my Broadband is stopping within 24 Hours . I have started complaining to them when they ring because I am still waiting for them to doi It. =) =)

Was this the site

https://www.mygpsnavigation.com/gps_device_update_form.php

Doug
    Thank you for your help, I wouldn't have look into who I was paying if I hadn't had the comments.

thank you.
    Kerri
    mailto:[email protected]
    This is what comes up when I copy & paste the link.
    Kerri
    HI @Kerri7425

Thank you for that. Hopefully you have stopped it in time.. I will pass this on .
    Let us know if anything more happens. Funny that comes up looking a bit like the website I gave yo a link too and is the second I have seen with a North Devon Address.

Doug
    DougLap wrote: »

TT really should close this cowboy down immediately as it's blatantly a scam site!
    Hi @justmebrowsing

The one that @Kerri7425 has indicated is similar by the looks of it and Tomtom know about another site which was spotted the other week which had a similar layout and was also showing an address in same North Devon.Town but not the same one.. In fact all 3 webpages could have been done by the same people by the look of them.

Doug
    Until TT close these down (and even afterwards perhaps), shouldn't there be a prominent warning banner right across all these forums reminding people not to fall for this BS?
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,925 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @Kerri7425

Thanks for coming back..

I hope you got the payments cancelled and settled through your bank.

I have forwarded this report to our team, they will be looking into it...

If at all you are able to remember the website you landed on, or was it the same which Doug and Justmebrowsing mentioned above?

Thank you,
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.
    Hi, I have had a message from Microsofsaying new sign-in detected.
    IP address 52.138.141.24
    Date 09/04/2019 at 11.45 GMT
    I dont know if this will help you find the site so you can stop someone else being conned.
    Regards.
    Kerri.
    Hi @Kerri7425

Thank you for the info. Flagged @VikramK for you.

Doug