TomTom Go 5100 insufficient room for maps

stephen.aston99stephen.aston99 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
I use a seperate Micro card for USA but having trouble with UK/Europe map on internal memory as it's too large now. Can I use a 32gb card instead and load both maps onto it? Do I have to upload the maps back to TomTom before changing the card, or can I just remove existing card, insert new one and download both again?

Best Answer

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 1,094 Superuser
    edited April 9 Accepted Answer
    HI @stephen.aston99

Your GO5100 only has 8GB internal memory. Do not delete all the maps from your unit

Keep the UK/Europe map on the unit for now and get a 32gb card which is the max they use. Install the card then Reload the USA map which should be shown in MyDrive Connect as allocated to the unit. Having reloaded that map on the New Card then do the update on the Europe Map. That will then load itself on the card as well and delete the old one from the internal memory which will then be available space for any further smaller maps you require as they load on the internal memory by default if there is enough space..

Doug

Answers

edited April 9 Accepted Answer
    HI @stephen.aston99

Your GO5100 only has 8GB internal memory. Do not delete all the maps from your unit

Keep the UK/Europe map on the unit for now and get a 32gb card which is the max they use. Install the card then Reload the USA map which should be shown in MyDrive Connect as allocated to the unit. Having reloaded that map on the New Card then do the update on the Europe Map. That will then load itself on the card as well and delete the old one from the internal memory which will then be available space for any further smaller maps you require as they load on the internal memory by default if there is enough space..

Doug
  • giomangioman Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Hi, I just purchased the Tomtom go520 wifi.
    In reading these posts I understand that the internal memory for the go520wifi will not support the data required to keep all maps loaded on it; I am fine with that and I am fine with having to purchase an additional mini sd card to load whatever other maps I choose. However, I am concerned that although the go520 wifi is advertised to have "lifetime maps of the world", I may have to pay for additional maps. For example, when I turned on the unit, it automatically gave me a choice to select Canada, USA or Mexico only (I purchased this unit for the US market). It had no other world map choices. So my question is: I will be travelling to Italy this summer, and I would like to know if, by purchasing an additional sd card, will I be able to download the maps of Italy for free, or will I have to purchase them separately? Thanks.
    Hi @gioman

You should get a 32gb Micro SD Class 10 card, Sandisk or Samsung or a major maker, from a Reputable source. to avoid fakes. There have been instances of lesser known makes not working.

When you go to Maps and Add a Map there should be a list. If there is not a list or any map you want is missing then call Customer Support to sort the Maps out for you . You should not have to pay for any Map.and I would do that now. By the way when you are out of your region as in Italy the Traffic function will not work. traffic is limited to the region where the unit is purchased.

One thing you should not do is delete all the maps as the unit needs a map to boot up properly. You should not have a problem with this as you have 16GB of internal memory and any map you try to load will check first if it will fit on the Internal Memory.

Doug
  • John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 582 [Exalted Navigator]
    Hi, @gioman ,

I also have a GO520 & basically I can confirm what @DougLap advises! The internal memory is 16GB, however, if this is insufficient install a proprietary 32GB MicroSD Card.

I can also confirm that (when I go to "Menu", "Maps", "Add a Map") I get the full list of Worldwide Maps. Hence, if you do NOT get this List, again I would also recommend that you follow @DougLap's advice & contact Customer Support!

Regards,

John-Jay