Runner 3 & VO2 Max information — TomTom Community

Runner 3 & VO2 Max information

GaryKwokGaryKwok Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
Hello tomtom users, Have just replaced my old tomtom multi sport cardio with runner 3 for 10 days. Did several long runs of 32 km but still no display of VO2 Max information in both apps or website even though I have updated the Android apps and followed the instructions. Any guru could help? Thanks a lot.

Answers

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,319
    Superusers
    edited April 2019
    GaryKwok wrote: »
    Hello tomtom users, Have just replaced my old tomtom multi sport cardio with runner 3 for 10 days. Did several long runs of 32 km but still no display of VO2 Max information in both apps or website even though I have updated the Android apps and followed the instructions. Any guru could help? Thanks a lot.

Are you using Run mode and not freestyle? Are you working out in Zone 3 or higher? Are you looking on the progress tab on MySports?

Quite frankly, I would not worry about it, it is completely wrong anyway. Mine has been clinically tested numerous times and the watch is off by about 15 points. I honestly don't feel you can make any judgments from what it is telling you in terms of VO2Max, fitness points or fitness age. It only uses runs or cycles to calculate points and while it does refine its readings over time, but it seems to be a random, capricious measure that ties to very little. It uses your calculated VO2Max (which will be wrong as no watch can compute this) to calculate points. It is not the amount of exercise that matters, it is the intensity. Unless you are in Z3 or higher for a substantial part of your workout it will not change anything. If your workouts are walks or jogs or anything that is not intense, it will have no impact on the age and points. It is based on whatever algorithm TT came up with, which is different than what Garmin uses or Strava uses, or anyone else. Ultimately, I don't expect a watch to be able to tell me how fit I am.

If you just got the watch I would take care with your buying decision considering TomTom left the wearables business 18 months ago and is just selling out their inventory. All production and development has stopped and there will be no new features or changes to the existing features in the future. There is no longer support by email or phone and replacement straps are near impossible to find. If you are able, you may want to consider returning the device and going with another brand that is active in the sports watch market and intends to continue producing and supporting devices.
  • GaryKwokGaryKwok Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    tfarabaugh wrote: »
    GaryKwok wrote: »

Are you using Run mode and not freestyle? Are you working out in Zone 3 or higher? Are you looking on the progress tab on MySports?

Quite frankly, I would not worry about it, it is completely wrong anyway. Mine has been clinically tested numerous times and the watch is off by about 15 points. I honestly don't feel you can make any judgments from what it is telling you in terms of VO2Max, fitness points or fitness age. It only uses runs or cycles to calculate points and while it does refine its readings over time, but it seems to be a random, capricious measure that ties to very little. It uses your calculated VO2Max (which will be wrong as no watch can compute this) to calculate points. It is not the amount of exercise that matters, it is the intensity. Unless you are in Z3 or higher for a substantial part of your workout it will not change anything. If your workouts are walks or jogs or anything that is not intense, it will have no impact on the age and points. It is based on whatever algorithm TT came up with, which is different than what Garmin uses or Strava uses, or anyone else. Ultimately, I don't expect a watch to be able to tell me how fit I am.

If you just got the watch I would take care with your buying decision considering TomTom left the wearables business 18 months ago and is just selling out their inventory. All production and development has stopped and there will be no new features or changes to the existing features in the future. There is no longer support by email or phone and replacement straps are near impossible to find. If you are able, you may want to consider returning the device and going with another brand that is active in the sports watch market and intends to continue producing and supporting devices.

Thank you for your insight. Even if your response cannot help fix my problem I will take your words and find another sport watch.