When will the next device with G3/4 be out

iwest
iwest Registered Users Posts: 15
Outstanding Explorer
Hi, I`ve got the TT5000, ready to upgrade now but have read the 5002 traffic only works on 2G that will soon be switched off in the UK.

Is this correct? If so will TT be making a new version on the new 3/4G?

Thanks Guys

Comments

• dmulv
    dmulv Posts: 675
    Superuser
    I'm not aware of any plans to switch off 2G in the UK any time soon.

They tried to a few years ago, but too many devices still rely on it.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,862
    Superuser
    edited April 2019
    Hi @iwest

In addition to @dmulv's comment I have seen comments to the effect that 3G could be turned off before 2G as there are a number of Non Phone uses for 2G.

Regarding the GO5200, which is what I assume you meant, the unit also connects to your smartphone via Bluetooth, iOS or Android, and enables you to receive and make phone calls.. One of the options when you have connected by Bluetooth is that you can enable the Bluetooth connection to receive data, ie Traffic , this way as well. In fact you can use the Bluetooth facility to just do Data and not do the Phone. When 2G is shut down this means that the Traffic data can still be obtained via your Phone as it is done on the GO520 and earlier units. The monthly data required for Traffic is small.

I have had the situation where the Tomtom Inbuilt Sim was not working for a short period owing to a problem with the TT servers. I happen to have a Mifi and I logged my GO6200 into that Wifi source and instantly had the traffic data. This was extremely helpful as where I was at the time there were major road works and problems made even worse by a Premier league match due to start within two hours so traffic was diabolical. The TT helped get me around the difficulties very well. The next morning the Inbuilt sim facility was up and running again .

Doug
  • iwest
    iwest Registered Users Posts: 15
    Outstanding Explorer
    Thanks to both of you.

I didn`t realise you could receive data via mobile, Thanks again.

What's the next TT out going to be like then, anyone know?
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,862
    Superuser
    Hi @iwest

They have just announced the Premium and Premium X models which have some additional software facilities like IFTTT integration.

Doug