WNRO on 6 April 2019 - ONE-TIME UPDATE FOR YOUR DEVICE

I own a TomTom Live XL which is no longer supported but got this e-mail:

"While we no longer offer content and service updates for your device, we have made an update available that addresses the GPS Week Number Rollover (WNRO). TO UPDATE: Connect your device to your computer. Click the ‘update now’ button for instructions on how to update your device. As this is an external issue related to GPS WNRO, we are offering a software update"

Connected the TomTom as they say to my computer and there is no WNRO update. Tried ringing TomTom, never get through, e-mail TomTom customer services who have the cheek to reply your device is no longer support ( which is a lie as in their own e-mail they say this a one off update as its an external issue ) so spend £280 on a new TomTom due to the WNRO issue.

is TomTom this incompetent ?

I want my update and they refuse to tell me how to get it apart from spend near on £300 with them

Tagged:

Answers

• justmebrowsingjustmebrowsing Posts: 389 [Supreme Pioneer]
    edited April 4
    I assume you DID connect via TTHome & "update my device" as you mentioned trying to use MyDrive which is not for your device in another post?
  • sjs7sjs7 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have an old Tom Tom XXL540S that needs the WNRO update but is no longer supported. I tried to update the fix from Home but at 24.6MB, I don't have enough space on my device (-1.2Mb) according to the failed attempt reply. Any ideas for a novice computer person on how to make it fit so that the GPS can still be used?
  • eltolloeltollo Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Same for me (TomTomXL): the TomTom application is too big (not enough for space on device). I cannot unselect it. Therefore the one-time update was not downloaded.

Extremely disappointed, never a TomTom again.
  • kimcsabakimcsaba Posts: 23 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I assume you DID connect via TTHome & "update my device" as you mentioned trying to use MyDrive which is not for your device in another post?

Yes I did, when I click on updates none available, only the quick GPS fixes appear every now and again which I update but this WNRO one is not there and does not exist.
  • lkrauslkraus Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    sjs7 wrote: »
    I have an old Tom Tom XXL540S that needs the WNRO update but is no longer supported. I tried to update the fix from Home but at 24.6MB, I don't have enough space on my device (-1.2Mb) according to the failed attempt reply. Any ideas for a novice computer person on how to make it fit so that the GPS can still be used?

I had a similar problem with the WNRO update on my GO 730. I needed 430Mb free, only had 159 MB free and the only thing I could delete that was big enough was the irreplaceable map.

What worked for me was I finally took a chance and used my file manager to move the map folder (\Internal\North_America_2GB) to my PC temporarily, ran the update, and moved the map folder back to the 730. No errors reported during the update, and the GO is reporting the new version number. In my case, the installed size of the updated application is a bit bigger, using an additional 39MB of free space.

It would have been nice if TomTom had provided some instruction on how to safely deal with the limited available memory.
  • terrortotterrortot Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I received this same email offering to "fix" my ancient (but still used) Start 20. I was asked to download Mydrive Connect Windows XP version!! I don;t know anybody who still uses this. Anyway, It did seem to load on Windows 7 but when trying to connect to the computer the program showed my device was "Not connected" while the TomTom screen displayed "Connecting to your computer" without any progress.
    Contacting anyone at TomTom seems impossible and "No longer Supported" seems to be the only help other than suggesting a purchase a new one with their "generous" discount.
    Is there a fix, or are TomTom deliberately making it difficult in the hope of selling more product?
    terrortot wrote: »
    I received this same email offering to "fix" my ancient (but still used) Start 20. I was asked to download Mydrive Connect Windows XP version!! I don;t know anybody who still uses this. Anyway, It did seem to load on Windows 7 but when trying to connect to the computer the program showed my device was "Not connected" while the TomTom screen displayed "Connecting to your computer" without any progress.
    Contacting anyone at TomTom seems impossible and "No longer Supported" seems to be the only help other than suggesting a purchase a new one with their "generous" discount.
    Is there a fix, or are TomTom deliberately making it difficult in the hope of selling more product?

TomTom are clearly incompetent, this is why you should not buy a new one from them, they have no idea what they are doing or what they are telling their customers to do. Utter useless, but this is not a new thing for TomTom, they have never been able to write software that is glitch free. If you really want to have a dedicated sat nav switch to a used Garmin nuvi with life time maps, or just buy a second hand smart phone and put google maps on that, that will update forever for free, never cost you a penny and will never have an EOL senario. I will never buy TomTom again, I was duped thinking as they are a dedicated sat nav creators that they know what they are doing but they dont, and never have.
    lkraus wrote: »
    sjs7 wrote: »

I had a similar problem with the WNRO update on my GO 730. I needed 430Mb free, only had 159 MB free and the only thing I could delete that was big enough was the irreplaceable map.

What worked for me was I finally took a chance and used my file manager to move the map folder (\Internal\North_America_2GB) to my PC temporarily, ran the update, and moved the map folder back to the 730. No errors reported during the update, and the GO is reporting the new version number. In my case, the installed size of the updated application is a bit bigger, using an additional 39MB of free space.

It would have been nice if TomTom had provided some instruction on how to safely deal with the limited available memory.

When you any TomTom on this is what it says: "LEGAL NOTICE TomTom does not guarantee the error-free operation of your product nor the completeness or accuracy of the service or any content" So basically they are saying we can make a device with glitchy software ( which is what they do anyway ), and there is no guarantee that it will ever work properly. Say good bye and switch to another manufacturer. As with all TomTom updates, they are beyond incompetent and do not deserve your money or time wasted - WNRO is such a small issue and they cant even get that right.
    I think the e-mails they sent out were a scoping exercise into trying to panic everyone into buying a new TomTom sat nav if you like me had an EOL one. The 6th April has arrived, I have a TomTom XL Live device which I purchased from TomTom in 2014 ( so its 5 years old and according to TomTom no longer supported as they want me to waste my money buying a new one ) and it works perfectly fine. The time is correct, it shows the time of journeys correctly, it re estimates the journey times just as before. This was all a con. I note that GARMIN say that even their EOL units wont be effected. So TomTom were just trying to scam us.
  • DriverdelDriverdel Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I tried to update my TomTom XXL with that so called 'WNRO' update but the 'TomTom for ONE and ONE New edtion' option never appeared, just 2 postcode downloads :angry:

I've emailed them and wait to see what they say :anguished:

Regards

Derek
  • justmebrowsingjustmebrowsing Posts: 389 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Driverdel wrote: »
    I tried to update my TomTom XXL with that so called 'WNRO' update but the 'TomTom for ONE and ONE New edtion' option never appeared, just 2 postcode downloads :angry:

Regards

Derek

After a FULL WINDOWS backup you could try downloading this direct & copy/paste/overwrite http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/9.541.2-2042-CAB-navcore-LE.cab
    It was all a big con and trading standards should be involved. WNRO never effected my EOL 2014 model TomTom even though their e-mail said it would and I should buy a new one from them for £280
  • wrinxwrinx Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Driverdel wrote: »

Regards

Derek

After a FULL WINDOWS backup you could try downloading this direct & copy/paste/overwrite http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/9.541.2-2042-CAB-navcore-LE.cab

Hi...I'm also having problems downloading the WNRO update for my old XL (4ET03 model) using TT Home, apparently it's a server error because I'm not authorised!

Could you confirm if there's direct download for my unit please, thanks.

Thanks.
  • tiljestiljes Posts: 188 [Revered Navigator]
    kimcsaba wrote: »
    It was all a big con and trading standards should be involved. WNRO never effected my EOL 2014 model TomTom even though their e-mail said it would and I should buy a new one from them for £280

Can't be. My EOL model from 2013 was listed as having no problems at all, but now the time is wrong and everything that uses time (day/night switching, arrival time, iQ routes).
    That is strange, have you plugged it in to your computer and updated the GPS fixes, just because its EOL you can still log onto TomTom Home and install the GPS fixes that appear every 7 days.
    Why is that strange? Something in the software fails and leads to resetting the time. It does get a perfectly fine satellite fix, so it already got the latest GPS fix.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,797 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @tiljes

The problem with the RIDER devices(Timer reset 00:00), serial number starting- K4 is something we are investigating.

We hope to have a fix for this soon.

Sorry about the inconvenience caused.

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.
    tiljes wrote: »
    Why is that strange? Something in the software fails and leads to resetting the time. It does get a perfectly fine satellite fix, so it already got the latest GPS fix.

Should never fail, I have a cheap 10 year old Chinese sat nav that you can update with free shareware software and maps and that has never failed. TomTom are a device dedicated "expert" who seem to have loads of issues in their products and software and also pushing out these EOL updates, just like APPLE does so you are forced to buy a new device.
    @kimcsaba but then y tell me it would be fine if it was all a big con? Y does my 14 year old Go700 continue to work? I am just saying your allegations are wrong. There is no big con.
  • wrinxwrinx Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Received a reply from Tom Tom support telling me to update my software...not being able to do this was the reason I contacted them! Clearly useless.

Out of interest I booted it up and put a journey in to find it's working fine so I plan to leave it alone for now, the official download appears to sometimes brick units which I'm not keen on for obvious reasons.

If there's a direct download available I'd still appreciate having the option if needed though :)

wrinx

edited April 15
    VikramK wrote: »
    Hi @tiljes

The problem with the RIDER devices(Timer reset 00:00), serial number starting- K4 is something we are investigating.

We hope to have a fix for this soon.

Sorry about the inconvenience caused.

Regards
    Vikram

They are investigating after the 6th April deadline, so what happens if you are on a motorcycle road trip across Europe right now, what do you do?
  • mczenkomczenko Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    I am very disappointed with the way TomTom approached the WNRO problem. Nobody would believe that a company of which core business is navigation did not know that WNRO is going to occur. When I was buying my TomTom Rider (version 2013) nobody told me that the device will stop working in 2019. They had to know, or they are totally incompetent, which no court would believe. So, in other words, TomTom was selling units that were bound to fail and KNOWING it. Now offering the customers 20% discount to buy a new version of the navigation feels to me really arrogant. Replacing navigation on a motorbike is not just plug-out, plug-in. You may need to change the holder, the enclosure to attach it to the bike, and wiring may also need to be adjusted in some cases. I would not be surprised that some riders will not be willing to update even if you offer a new device for free. The fact that they have done nothing to fix this in the last 6 years shows their strategy was to mislead the customer and to make them into buying another version of device. I hope someone in US will sue them, and as I am living in the Netherlands, I would like to see if there's going to be some group lawsuit following which I can join. Even if TomTom fixes the device by providing firmware update, the way they handle this case reveals dishonest practices in this business. Even though I do think TomTom makes best navigation, maybe it is time to reconsider.
    @mczenko At least you CAN change the device. Some people with Mercedes cars from ~2006-2010 are suffering since Oct 2018 (the satnav of those cars apparently couldn't handle the switch from week number 999 to 1000). Subarus models as new as 2015 seem to be also affected. Not to forget about the Honeywell-GPS in some Chinese and one Dutch Boeing 777/787, which also reverted back in time to 1999. And of course the failure of many surveillance systems in NYC which relied on GPS as time service.

Yeah, it's almost a tragedy. All those systems were developed by teams dedicated to GPS. They must have all been aware of this issue. Some mitigated it by using internal reference dates. So those devices are still about to fail in a couple of years, and you won't know when (well, some manufacturers were open about it, I think some Nissans will face it only in 2021). I can't imagine that all those devs just thought it's gonna work out. Or a future update will resolve it. Or devices won't live that long anyways.

Maybe they were under pressure and implemented a simple fix for the time being, and then never went back to fix it properly. Even the last rollover in 1999 caused some unrest, military, cost guard etc. When asking the officials what to do, they said their devices will work properly, but also said that 3rd party device manufacturers will have to find their own solutions, therefor admitting a somewhat flawed design. Considering this, it's baffling that Garmin, which was around already during the 1st WNRO, still has some post-1999 devices that encountered problems.

All the same, I agree that programmers must have been aware of the issue and that this issue is so present, that they should've been more open about the limitations that devices will face in the future. I'd be happy to see a lawsuit. However, since it works in some devices but not others from the same manufacturer, I think they might have made some mistakes during implementation, and therefor can't really be hold against them more than any other software problems.
  • WoodseyWoodsey Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Well I'm amazed at how many TomTom users have problems. I too have problems in fact to the degree that my XL-One just will not find a GPS signal. Ever since we purchased this product it has always frozen and yes you guessed always when you least need it to. I have a paper clip in my car to reset the device which can occur 4 or 5 times a day or even on a single journey. I had a signal 2 weeks ago now no matter what I try (including all the processes within these recent blogs) nothing seems to work to allow the XL-one to pick up a GPS signal. When I connect to my laptop (which is a relatively a new HP) I get there a message stating "There are no updates" Other messages include; "You have a problem with your F"-Drive" scan and fix your F Drive. I do not have any problem with the PC drives but certainly do with the TomTom. I have even done a scan and fix the F Drive and my PC message manager informs me scan complete and successful, the were zero faults found. I have connected to TomTom Home and My Drive Connect but neither works. I do get Apps appear when using Tom Tom Home to connect but everyone except a couple do nothing with the exception of a message telling me "Your product is out of date and no longer supported click here to upgrade and receive a 30% discount voucher as a loyal customer" which is as useful as a chocolate fire hose in a blazing inferno. I when to one APP that said "Back-up and Restore" which connected via the PC and TomTom but when it finished the download it has made no difference. For sure TomTom are hoping customers will upgrade and I will not. To make matters worse I did upgrade to a TomTom one and when I was told that was no longer supported I purchased a model 25 which developed a connection fault around the mini USB, when I got in touch with Tom Tom they said you must have caused this and in truth were quite terse in the attitude. so I picked up the original XL-one and yep although it keeps freezing at least it worked, well that is until 2 weeks ago and although it switches on like before it just cannot find a GPS signal. Has anyone else encountered this problem? and if so, how can I get my XL-one functioning again with a GPS signal. For all I know it might be more than the GPS signal but although it switches on it constantly looks for a GPS signal which reports "No GPS Signal as the timer climbs up every 5 seconds. Help me Please from a frustrated non functioning Tom Tom owner. Finally when using the Home software and try to "Update" it simply states "There are no Updates" I have never seen a message about WNRO even though TomTom sent me an email saying in one hand that I will still be able to use my satnav but no future upgrades are supported, then in another email telling me my satnav cannot accept any upgrades as it's out of date so we will offer you a discount to upgrade to a newer model. This certainly feels like deception and unfair trading practices if not illegal trading practices.
    Regards Woodsey.
    Throw them in the bin, walk away once and for all, buy a cheap chinese sat nav off ebay shop for £25, update forever and have no regrets. We were all suckers for thinking they were better because they only make sat navs, we were so wrong.