Problem updating ~Tomtom SD Card — TomTom Community

Problem updating ~Tomtom SD Card

pbuddenpbudden Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
Hi, I have downloaded the TomTom Home2 application as suggested to update my TomTom navigation device in my Renault Megane from this url:
http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16625/locale/en_GB
The software does not see the SD Card but my laptop does. I can access the card with no problem.
Please tell me if I am doing something incorrectly.

TIA

Paul B.

Best Answer

• pbuddenpbudden Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Accepted Answer
    Just to help you all with this type of issue, I have resolved the SD card not seen by TT Home.
    Basically you have to backup the card to your laptop, then format it to FAT32.
    When the clean card was placed into the car navigation system it indicated that it was now ready to be used in HOME.
    Sure enough, TTHome discovered the card and installed the update.
    I had to copy my maps, voices, sounds etc from my backup to the SD card after I got the message about No Maps Found.

TL:DR - Back up the card, Format, initialize in the device, download updates, update device, copy files back.

Hope this helps

Answers

• pbuddenpbudden Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Accepted Answer
    Just to help you all with this type of issue, I have resolved the SD card not seen by TT Home.
    Basically you have to backup the card to your laptop, then format it to FAT32.
    When the clean card was placed into the car navigation system it indicated that it was now ready to be used in HOME.
    Sure enough, TTHome discovered the card and installed the update.
    I had to copy my maps, voices, sounds etc from my backup to the SD card after I got the message about No Maps Found.

TL:DR - Back up the card, Format, initialize in the device, download updates, update device, copy files back.

Hope this helps
  • HikerdudieHikerdudie Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I'm unable to load the European map to my GO 5100. I can download the map to my computer but after 50% of loading to my device it fails
    Note that I am having to load to an SD card as my device memory is too small for the Europe map. Also note that I have successfully loaded smaller maps to the SD card without issues. I've just this minute loaded the Middle Eastern map to the SD card without any issues at all. TomTom customer care have attempted to sort the issue twice to no avail. An Agent is going to contact me on Monday to have another go but my problem is I need my device for the UK before then!!
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,171 Superuser
    Hi @Hikerdudie

How big is your Extra memory card. The European Map is circa 9gb and so depending what you already have on your External memory you will need a Min of 16gb or Max 32 Gb to be fitted.

If you have to change the card remember whatever you do do not delete all maps from the Unit. If you currently have no map on the internal memory then load a very small map there and leave it so that whatever happens your unit has a map on it to boot up with.

Once you have done that then add Maps as you want. They will load on the internal memory if there is enough room for them. You can delete a map from the memory to give space for another and vice versa. Click on a Map in MyDrive Connect nd select Remove if necessary.

Doug
    Thanks for your response Douglap,
    I did make the mistake of deleting all my maps but since then a TT agent helped me to load a small map which loaded without issue and as I stated in my initial post I have also loaded the Middle East map to the SD card which is quite large and currently shows 29067MB free.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,171 Superuser
    Hi @Hikerdudie

Looks like you have the max allowed 32gb card in and have enough to download the Europe map.

Doug
    Hi Doug
    Yes, more than enough free to install the Europe map so I don't understand why it fails?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,077 Superusers
    Hi
    @Hikerdudie

Maybe worth a look....
    Re "Download/installation interrupted".....
    The Computer Manufacturers appear to be setting "USB Selective Suspend" to ON as default
    Especially Laptops, maybe to improve the look of the battery life

Are your USB ports set for power saving "USB Selective Suspend"

Win7 See... http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/147369-usb-selective-suspend-turn-off.html

Win10 See… https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/73187-turn-off-usb-selective-suspend-windows-10-a.html
    Click on link and scroll down to "Turn Off USB Selective Suspend"

More... Turn off any Screen savers any other Power savers or USB port monitoring software installed

More... Is there enough free space on your Drive C: to cache the Map Download

ATB YFM
    Thanks YFM,
    I've just checked the USB setting and you were right they are set to suspend; so I've just disabled it and I'll have another go. Fingers crossed it'll work
    Waa, waa, waaaa. Didn't work.
    I will try again after uninstalling corrupt map off my device and removing the downloaded map from my computer. I'll reboot the laptop just to make sure the USB suspender has been disabled properly.
    Thanks YFM Though