I have a Start 60 and a new Essentials and I can't get the Essentials to come up in My Drive. — TomTom Community

I have a Start 60 and a new Essentials and I can't get the Essentials to come up in My Drive.

StGeorge1StGeorge1 Posts: 7 [Apprentice Seeker]
I've tried several options as instructed but each time I select "Add another Device" the PC screen defaults to a note about updating by email and I can't get passed it. It says "If you want to add a device disconnect this one first " (the Essentials that is) The Start 60 is not connected at this time but shows on the PC screen

Answers

• LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,632
    Superuser
    Hi @StGeorge1

Your GO Essentail is a Wifi device for your updates you have 2 possibilities:

- directly with Wifi without using your computer.
    or
    - with your computer only for the internet connection by installing before the software MyDrive Connect (MDC).

In both solutions, all the management and the launching of the updates are done in the device
    ==> Main Menu 4Dots..../Settings/Updates and New Items

To connect to your TomTom account and register your new device, it's also in your device.
    ==> Main Menu (4Dots....)/Settings/My Drive/ your email and passworld

For updates, don't do them all at the same time. The NaVCore first alone, then the map alone, then the speed cameras, etc...
    During the download if you use Wifi, connect your device to a power source, a main charger (2A smartphone) or a PC only for power (with MDC not active)

For more information see this FAQ and video:
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22781
    And
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/getstarted/p/4746

Regards.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,397
    Superusers
    edited April 2019
    Hi
    @StGeorge1

Hi

If your GO Essential is connected to the PC/Laptop and using the USB lead as a power supply??? and if MyDrive Connect is running in the Background ???....
    The USB connection will take priority over the Wi-Fi connection
    Note... The NAV5 Wi-Fi devices require registration login over Wi-Fi
    (You can get an error "Opps something has gone wrong")
    Use a alternate power supply to power your device while logging in with your username and password or fully charge the device for 2 Hours and log in with your username and password with the device running on its own power
    You can also try...
    With your device turned off and not connected to your PC/Laptop
    Right Click on the Tomtom icon on the PC Taskbar to access the Setting menu and Click 'Quit' to exit MyDrive Connect
    Connect you device to your PC/Laptop... Turn your device (Should Auto Start)
    Tap Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Wi-Fi should be active... login with your username and password

The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices like you’re GO Essential normally update using Wi-Fi...
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    See Option... (2) Connect over USB

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Updating your new NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here.....
    www.tomtom.com/getstarted
    Run MyDrive Connect.....
    Note... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar

27bxc59f2s23.png
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

ATB YFM
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,879
    Superuser
    Hi @StGeorge1

When I got my GO6200 based Tomtom, a Go Camper, I did not have to Add the device in MDC it just appeared there which I assume happens when you input your account details in the unit on setup and I did the initial update.

I assume that you are getting the Email request because if I connect my GO6200 unit to the PC I get a splash screen and can't see the units details in MDC I assume the same happens or you if you want to update via the Computer instead of Wifi.. Maybe this is the reason you have to email the details to Tomtom Customer support and get them to add the unit to the account if it hasn't just appeared like mine.

Doug
  • StGeorge1StGeorge1 Posts: 7 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thanks guys I’ll have another go tomorrow with a fresh approach I've had enough for today!