GO 620 Doesn't Auto Connect To iPhone's Personal Hotspot — TomTom Community

GO 620 Doesn't Auto Connect To iPhone's Personal Hotspot

I've connected my GPS to my iPhone to receive internet for the traffic and live updates, however, every time i leave my car, when i get back in, the GPS doesn't reconnect to the personal hotspot for internet even though it's still switch on on my iPhone. I have to manually close the Settings app on my iPhone and re-open it for the GPS to reconnect.

I've never experienced any issues with the bluetooth - it always connects and works, only issues with internet.

I have been told that it should automatically connect by itself, but this hasn't been my experience.

If anyone experienced anything similar or have any suggestions, that'd be great. Thanks.

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,990 Superuser
    edited April 2019
    Hi @AlphaHawk

Does this happen when you turn the ignition off and so the unit goes into Sleep mode or if you switch the TT Off before you leave the car or both.

Doug
  • AlphaHawkAlphaHawk Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    I let it go into sleep mode by itself and it wakes by itself when i switch the ignition on.
  • John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 679 [Revered Pioneer]
    My GO520 is often temperamental about re-connecting, as well!
    HI @AlphaHawk

Is it the same if you turn it Off when you leave the car.

You could try a Soft Reset of the Unit or Forget the Connection settings on your unit and the iPhone and then reload to see if that helps.

Does this happen in all occasions or when your Unit is within range of your Wifi at home. Ie at Home when it turns on it may see the Wifi briefly and log in then when out of range is not changing to the phone.

Doug
  • AlphaHawkAlphaHawk Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    DougLap wrote: »
    HI @AlphaHawk

Is it the same if you turn it Off when you leave the car.

You could try a Soft Reset of the Unit or Forget the Connection settings on your unit and the iPhone and then reload to see if that helps.

Does this happen in all occasions or when your Unit is within range of your Wifi at home. Ie at Home when it turns on it may see the Wifi briefly and log in then when out of range is not changing to the phone.

Doug

I have tried manually switching it off and on before, and there's no difference. It still doesn't reconnect. And yes, happens in all occasions.

HI @AlphaHawk

One other option is a Factory Reset and if that also fails to correct then Customer Support.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/988105/customer-support-phone-numbers/p1

Doug
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 641 Superuser
    I experience the same thing myself with automatically connecting to wifi. Sometimes it connects automatically, sometimes I have to manually initiate a connection, sometimes I have to initiate a connection and retype the wifi password.

Personally speaking it's not really bothered me, as the only thing wifi has over the Bluetooth/SIM connection is you can install updates over it, which I only really check for every week or so.

One (currently unproven) theory I did have is it won't connect to a wifi hotspot if it sees the device is in motion, or has a route planned - probably for safety reasons.
  • kita999999kita999999 Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    My 620 repeatedly will drop the Bluetooth sometimes when in just putting in a new destination on my galixy phone after having been connected and I'll have to repair completely but the phone never had a problem staying paired to my headset. My new Warranty replacement 620 is worse than my original !