Tom Tom Go 40 Problem with the voice not working

OldNicki
OldNicki Registered Users Posts: 4
Apprentice Traveler
Since updating my Tom Tom the voice isn't working. All the parts of the usual instructions are missing but it says" "then" from time-tao-time. What do i need to do to fix this?

Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,871
    Superuser
    Hi @OldNicki

When you tap Menu does the Speaker icon on the left end of the Volume Bar and/or does the Voice Icon at the Right hand end of the Volume Bar havet a line through them. If so Tap and remove the Line. Also is the Volume bar set to aa required Volume.

Doug
  • OldNicki
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi Doug - thanks for your reply. Volume bar is set to the correct level and neither speaker icon nor the voice icon have bars through them.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @OldNicki

Try a Soft Reset. Turn the unit on then Hold the ON/OFF button down for about 20 seconds until you hear the Drumroll sound.

Can you also check the memory situation on your unit. With the GO40 attached to the PC and MDC open look at the amount of memory used and the free space available. There is a possibility if you have not added some Extra memory via the SD slot that your unit may have less than 400mb of free memory which it needs for operational purposes. If the Internal memory is very full it is recommended that you fit a Micro SD class 10 memory card so that future updates loads the map there.

Doug
  • OldNicki
    Apprentice Traveler
    Thanks Doug - I've tried the soft reset without any change and checked the memory. I did add a chip to extend this and have loads of free space so that doesn't appear to be the problem.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    HI @OldNicki

If you have checked that the Voice is a UK Computer voice like Serena, which gives more directional information, or a UK Recorded voice like Jane then check the Sounds and Warnings settings and Language and Units settings. The Warnings setting should be Read Aloud if Serena selected or Sounds not Visual and English UK and UK in Language. If you have changed any setting turn the unit Off and On afterwards.

If that fails then the next option is the Reset the Device option in Systems. This will delete all your data such as My Places , Poi and Route files you have saved on the unit or added via My Drive. If you open MyDrive you can check to see that your MyPlaces ,poi and Route files are saved there. If they are when you do the Reset then they will be resented back to your unit when you connect it to your PC after it is Set up again.

If this fails then a call to Tomtom support is the next step I think . find the contact details here.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/988105/customer-support-phone-numbers/p1

All the best.

Doug
  • OldNicki
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi Doug - sorry to take so long to reply. I performed the system reset after all else failed and foud that worked. Thanks so much for your help.

Nick
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    edited April 2019
    Hi @OldNicki

Glad you are okay now.

Doug