Via 53. I cannot hear verbal directions. Using latest update.

HaggisForBrains
HaggisForBrains Registered Users Posts: 14
Legendary Explorer
With the "read aloud arrival time" switched on, it will tell me the predicted time, but no directions. I have set the voice to "Ben", but the predicted arrival time is spoken in a standard British female voice. I've tried setting different voices. but none works. I've tried a drumroll reset several times to no avail.

The verbal directions were working until I downloaded a New Zealand map, and used the TomTom there. I initially assumed that there was something wrong with the NZ map, but now that I've returned to the UK, and am using the Europe map, the verbal directions aren't working at all. When I try changing the voices, I can hear a sample of each voice. If I switch on voice instructions (which I don't use), I can here the female English voice ask me where to go.

The speaker is set to maximum volume, and no, I haven't switched it off by mistake. Can anyone offer any suggestions to cure this problem? My unit is still in guarantee - should I return it?

Best Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,833
    Superuser
    edited April 2019 Answer ✓
    Hi @HaggisForBrains

The one thing that I would ask is if you would change the Voice to a UK recorded voice like Jane or Tim and make sure the Icon Right of the Volume bar has not got a line through it. If you have not got the voices I mention please advise.

If you have to make a warrantee claim then you need to refer it back to the place you bought it from. If for example it was Tomtom then contact customer support or if it was Amazon then contact them .

Doug
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @HaggisForBrains

The right side Icon is not for Voice control it is to turn On or OFF Directions.. To turn On Voice Control you firstly need a Computer Voice like Serena selected and then you::-

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap Voice Control
    Select Start Voice Control when I say "Hell Tomtom"

Doug

Answers

• DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @HaggisForBrains

When you Tap Menu are the Speaker sign to the Left hand end of the Volume bar and/or the Voice Icon, the first circled ico , to the Right Hand end of it got a cross through them.

Doug
  • HaggisForBrains
    Legendary Explorer
    Hi Doug,

The left hand speaker sign is definitely on, as I said. The right hand voice control is switched off, as I prefer it that way, and can't see that it would affect the verbal directions. However, I just tried switching it on, and there was no improvement.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @HaggisForBrains

Turning the Right hand Icon Off, ie has a line through it, turns Verbal Instructions Off.

What particular Verbal directions are you missing.

What settings have you got in Voices including Voice selected

What Settingshave you in Sounds and Warnings

What settings have you in Language and Units

Doug
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,800
    Superuser
    edited March 2019
    HI
    @
    With the "read aloud arrival time" switched on, it will tell me the predicted time, but no directions. I have set the voice to "Ben", but the predicted arrival time is spoken in a standard British female voice
    For spoken instructions and and spoken road names you need a Computer Voice TTS (Text to Speech) Here in the UK its Serena or Malcolm
    Scroll up the list of voices as well as down, some voices may hidden off the top of the screen

ATB YFM

• HaggisForBrains
    Legendary Explorer
    Hi Doug,

I'm missing the type that says, eg, "In 200 yards turn right", followed by, "Turn right now", then, "You have reached your destination". This worked when I bought the Via 53 last August. I'm not looking to hear the street names.

I have currently selected Ben in the voices, but have tried others. I have it set to "Read aloud arrival time", and "Read aloud early instructions".

Sounds & Warnings settings: all on except Blackspots, Danger zones, Risk zones, and When speeding.

Language & Units: English (UK), United Kingdom, UK keyboard, Miles/yards, 31/12/32013.

Thanks for your time,

Colin.
  • HaggisForBrains
    Legendary Explorer
    Hi YFM,

I don't want/need spoken road names, just spoken instructions. When I bought the Via 53 last August they were working using Ben (New Zealand) voice, and it is currently set to Ben. Now they don't work at all, but curiously the female English voice (Serena, I think) tells me my arrival time when I set the navigation.

Cheers,

Colin.
  • HaggisForBrains
    Legendary Explorer
    Hi YFM,

We just crossed in the post! I'll check that out and get back to you, thanks.

Cheers,

Colin.
  • HaggisForBrains
    Legendary Explorer
    Hi YFM, I see you were drawing my attention to your earlier post :) .

Colin.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    edited April 2019
    Hi @HaggisForBrains

If the advice from YFM does not work have you tried a Full Factory Reset. You will find the option in System in Settings. This will delete all your Data including MyPlaces, Poi and Route files you have on the unit. These should be listed in your Account on MyDrive website and if so should be synced back onto the Via 53 when you have completed the reset.

Doug

• HaggisForBrains
    Legendary Explorer
    Hi Doug,

I was hoping to avoid that! However, having tried everything else, I just did a factory reset, then reset everything in settings to where they were before, as detailed above.

I'm just back from a short test run, and sadly, no change. Serena tells me the time to my destination, but nothing from Ben (or anyone else) about when a junction is approaching, etc.

I guess I'm running out of options now. How do I go about making a warranty claim :'( !

Cheers,

Colin.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @HaggisForBrains

The one thing that I would ask is if you would change the Voice to a UK recorded voice like Jane or Tim and make sure the Icon Right of the Volume bar has not got a line through it. If you have not got the voices I mention please advise.

If you have to make a warrantee claim then you need to refer it back to the place you bought it from. If for example it was Tomtom then contact customer support or if it was Amazon then contact them .

Doug
  • HaggisForBrains
    Legendary Explorer
    Hi Doug,

Yes, switching on Voice Control has enabled spoken directions! Many thanks :) . It seems illogical to me, and I don't want to use voice control, but as long as I can get spoken road instructions I'm happy. Incidentally, it works with my favourite voice, Ben, as well.

I still don't understand how that works, and would never have tried it on my own, so once again, many thanks.

Cheers,

Colin
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @HaggisForBrains

The right side Icon is not for Voice control it is to turn On or OFF Directions.. To turn On Voice Control you firstly need a Computer Voice like Serena selected and then you::-

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap Voice Control
    Select Start Voice Control when I say "Hell Tomtom"

Doug
  • HaggisForBrains
    Legendary Explorer
    Hi Doug,

OK, I think I understand now. Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,

Colin.