Carminat TomTom, Renault Scenic 2011 — TomTom Community

Carminat TomTom, Renault Scenic 2011

AngryCustomer1AngryCustomer1 Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
I did the software update and purchased maps & speed cameras at the same time on my laptop for the Carminat TomTom (Renault Scenic 2011), I inserted the SD card back into the car following the correct instructions. When inserting the SD card back into the car I got an egg timer, then a green screen with picture of a sat nat with a red cross with a hand and an arrow to remove the SD card. I have done all the trouble shooting and still does not work. Wednesday (27/03/19) I took the car to the Renault dealership for a diagnostics (£108.00) to be told I need a new Sat Nav (£778.28+ VAT) and a new SD Card ((£122.04+ VAT) and then on top of that would also be labour. TomTom will not take responsibility and Renault case handler will not take my calls. Has anyone else had this very expensive problem from the free update?

Answers

• CarminatCarminat Posts: 989 [Revered Pioneer]
    Wait for @VikramK to come along and sort it out for you.

Just in passing, this sort of thing happens when people don't follow ALL the correct instructions, because sometimes the 'correct' instructions are not good enough.

If you finish up with only the dealership ridiculous suggestions, tell them to shove it and go buy yourself a satnav to stick on the windscreen (TomTom are currently flogging off their top of the range GO6200 fairly cheaply, it's nowhere near as good as the Carminat, but at least it won't be £1000).
  • AngryCustomer1AngryCustomer1 Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    Hi, I followed the updates to the letter, I work in IT so I know what Im doing. Updates went onto the SD card great, I inserted into the car and then everything went wrong. I put the SD card back into the laptop, It was not recognised and it stated no device connected to TomTom Home. It also had wiped all the info off the card and TomTom home. I did all the trouble shooting without success. Only option left was to take to the dealership who kept my car for 2.5 days, to be told that I had to replace the unit and SD card at a stupid cost.
    The instructions were written by somebody who doesn't know how to write instructions. Result is that sometimes people get it right by chance, others don't do simple things like removing SD card safely from vehicle - I'm not saying that's you, just giving one simple example.

You're lucky with your dealer - mine had my van for three months with a similar problem. They don't know beans about satnavs in the garage - do you use spanners, screwdrivers and oil cans in your computer?
    edited March 2019
    I work in IT so I know what Im doing.

It's a pity you didn't think to take the simple precaution of doing a backup before any messing about. I did that as soon as I got my new vehicle home, before I even started to think how I wanted it configured. I don't have a Carminat any longer, but it was simple enough and after three years, I had so many backups on my hard disk I could (and had done frequently) restore my SD card at the drop of a hat and had at least two spare copies in my glove box for whenever it crashed. I don't have much IT ability, but I have managed to copy my Renault R-Link (TomTom) SD card for backup - it's not easy because it's proprietary software, but I do now have a copy which I work with and keep my original in a safe place.
  • wrinklet1wrinklet1 Posts: 1 [Novice Seeker]
    I updated my carminat and followed the instructions to the letter and my map shows somewhere completely different to what it should do.