TOMTOM LAUNCHES STATE-OF-THE-ART SATNAV- THE GO PREMIUM EDITION

Comments

• miketorcymiketorcy Posts: 3,054 Superusers
    VikramK wrote: »
    @miketorcy

The NAV4 and the GO WIFI devices are fully supported so we will continue to roll out updates for them.

But I don't think we will be able to upgrade them with all the features that are available on the GO PREMIUM devices.

Thanks,
    Vikram

Hi Vikram. Thank you for your answer. It the hardware are the same, i don't understand why the premium navcore can't be installed technically on the GO5200/6200 . Now, i can understand that for commercial reason, it can be impossible at short term. We can find on shop 5200 and 6200 cheaper than premium, and if they are the same , the choice is quick done.
    GO6200
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,508 Superusers
    edited April 4
    Hi
    @kiddingguy
    The only exception being the accent colour of the rear case and screen bezel for the Premium models

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

I dit some more research and getting confused.
    The actual source of the quote of user I-res on the popular dutch tech news website you don't like us to mention seems to be TomTom's own twitter account.

this text is the answer from TomTom's official Twitter account to this question;
    Hi @TomTom, are the hardware specs of the new #GOpremium the same as the #GO6200? Same cpu, screen etc.?

https://twitter.com/TomTom/status/1111252069070110720

So I have two TomTom employees with a different story.
    You say the hardware is the same as the GO6200.
    And TomTom's official Twitter account is talking about an updated CPU.

Now I am wondering witch answer in correct.

As @RoadRider is stating... there are mixed signals coming from different TomTom employees.
    So which "truth" is to be accepted: new hardware OR the same hardware?

(What we do know is that at least there is a new software/ROM for the 2019-lineup.)
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 603 Superuser
    kiddingguy wrote: »
    new hardware OR the same hardware?
    Same hardware, different software.

And for that reason it's very unlikely the new features will find their way on to the 520/5200/620/6200, as the software is the only thing that differentiates the two model lines.
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 4,745 Community Manager
    As @RoadRider is stating... there are mixed signals coming from different TomTom employees.
    So which "truth" is to be accepted: new hardware OR the same hardware?

(What we do know is that at least there is a new software/ROM for the 2019-lineup.)
    Can you please share with us where you found that incorrect information so that we can fix that?

• kiddingguykiddingguy Posts: 23 [Outstanding Explorer]
    On TomTom's official twitter-account it's mentioned:
    "Hi, the GO Premium will be available in 5 & 6 inch screens, it has an updated CPU and has a number of exciting new features. To find out more go to: https://bit.ly/2UfKhAV Cheers, TomTom Team" ()

and @VikramK is stating in this thread "Software on the GO PREMIUM device is more advanced and upgraded but no changes to the hardware."

CPU = hardware, so when on twitter is mentioned that an updated CPU is the case, I assume it's updated hardware. However, when in this thread is mentioned that there are no changes to the hardware.... there is mixed information.

So @Jürgen what is it? Has the GO Premium updated hardware? And which hardware is updated? And, as a result thereof, which (speed)improvements are noticeable?

Jürgen wrote: »
    The Tweet is incorrect. There is no new CPU. I will try to get this corrected and make sure that the Social team no longer gives out incorrect information.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for the heads up.
    I still think TomTom can't get away with this, i.a. no hardware changes and having 2017 hardware in the current 2019-lineup.

I guess time will tell what customers do think about this. Or maybe they are just ignorant, or don’t do thorough investigation, and see “TomTom 2019” and buy the devices anyhow. Kinda misleading, but I'm sure TomTom has got this legally covered...

edited April 5
    Hi
    @kiddingguy

I guess time will tell what customers do think about this. Or maybe they are just ignorant, or don’t do thorough investigation, and see “TomTom 2019” and buy the devices anyhow. Kinda misleading, but I'm sure TomTom has got this legally covered...
    Really !!!... Are you being Serious ???
    Several posts ago, you had an official reply from Tomtom
    Now you have had a further confirmation about the CPU status and the mistake by the Social Media team

You appear to be just baiting people, is this a windup ???

Bye

How was that comment of kiddingguy a mere windup? AFAICT the confirmation of no new CPU and the error in the Tweet has confirmed and validated what he wrote. But if I am confused and factually wrong please set me straight
    First TT support told me hardware upgrades were in place. Than I learned this wasn't the case....

Just for you to know @YamFazMan ... I'm being transparent in what I knew at the time. And writing about that at that time.

Now it seems that Go Premium has launched in 2019, with 2017-lineup hardware & specs. TomTom is NOT stating this, have different statement about this, and "claiming" it to be "NEW".

That's not fair. And misleading I must add....
    Hi

User guides... GO Premium Edition & GO Premium X
    http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/TomTom_GO_PREMIUM/index.htm

ATB YFM

Hardware + software = product. One element of the equation can reasonably justify something being labelled as a new product.

The more I think about it, the more I'm feeling TomTom's strategy is reasonable to a degree, as the extra features do add value to the proposition.

What would be nice though is a software upgrade path from the 520/5200/620/6200 to a Premium. I personally would be prepared to pay a fee to purchase a licence for the Premium's NavCore OS - which would be money in TomTom's pocket that they otherwise wouldn't have. I, along with most other existing owners I suspect, couldn't justify the financial and environment cost of binning a functioning existing device for a physically identical replacement, just to get some additional software features.
  • miketorcymiketorcy Posts: 3,054 Superusers
    The only thing I look forward to for a future version of the software managing NAV4 devices is a smart management of POIs as there was on the NAV3. Displaying POIs provided by Tomtom on the map by rolling with warning sound a little before you get there.
    The possibility of launching a robot vacuum as soon as I leave home is just a joke without interest!
    We really wonder what can happen to the heads of the developers and those who give them orders!
    GO6200
  • bruceybrucey Posts: 165 [Renowned Trailblazer]

To a point I’d agree with paying for a software update especially if I can have user defined images for POI and implement warning sounds when near.

However many loyal Nav 4/5 images are waiting for improvements to existing devices which were ‘premium’ devices only a few years ago and things like a fix for ALG/disappearing buildings which has been going on for a couple of years at least.

• LC123LC123 Posts: 31 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Hi

TomTom's are just low end Android phones running Android and the TomTom app. If you can see your TomTom connected to your Wi-Fi access point it even identifies itself as android_<..something>. There is no reason why they couldn't update existing models with the new app, but of course they will like to push people to buying another device.

The TomTom hardware is pretty low end and not very high powered, given the shear number of choices they have for hardware available they could do a lot better for not much more cost, but they are built to a low price point and will be just powerful enough to work with the app with no future proofing built in. They have to keep selling TomTom devices to cover the free subscriptions offered for HD Traffic and free map updates.

They need to concentrate more on fixes though and engage more with the community. We aren't here to read PR and be told they have a better device now whilst we struggle to get the ones we have now to work as advertised. Lane guidance anyone?

• smashysmashy Posts: 234 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    will this star ship enterprise version still take you down ridiculous country lanes?.......oh allright then
  • DLBBDLBB Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Is the traffic on the new devices limited to the region where the units were purchased, or is it truly worldwide?
    dmulv wrote: »
    Hardware + software = product. One element of the equation can reasonably justify something being labelled as a new product.

The more I think about it, the more I'm feeling TomTom's strategy is reasonable to a degree, as the extra features do add value to the proposition.

(...)

I don't agree with you on this.
    In case of Apple; they do add features in iOS updates for models that are still 3-4 years old.
    Also on Android devices, like Andrioid N, O, P etc are features added which are to be implemented by vendors like Samnsun, Huawei, HTC and Google's own Nexus'.

Maybe not all the new ones (like AR/VR things) are to be implemented, due to must-have hardware changes and new chipsets , but given that in TomTom's case it's "just" a ROM-update - on the same hardware - doesn't justify 'new', 'premium' and same-price level.
    I think it's better TomTom act like players such as Apple/Google (Android) and release on the 5200-hardware these 'Premium' features for free.

For customers who like to have a faster, better, (...), experience, have new hardware (CPU, RAM, SSD-storage) in a complete new product and mark this as 'GO Premium', GO 5300, GO X, GO 2019 or whatever.

It looks like TomTom is exploiting customers with these tactics. And customers will eventually turn on TomTom for not being honest and transparent.
  • OO58RONOO58RON Posts: 34 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    I own the 5000, 5200, & 6250 models, I have just order the TOMTOM GO PREMIUM X. I recognise that TomTom really do need to be more proactive in resolving pre existing anomalies with these devices. Such as speed limit corrections, being told to exit the M6 onto the M6 rather than exit the M6 onto the A69 for example. Being told to go straight on as you pass a pull in/lay-by. Niggles like this persist but I'm familiar with the TomTom devices and will continue to purchase new models. But I really would like them to address the issues on the newest models at least.
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    (Snip)I don't agree with you on this.
    In case of Apple; they do add features in iOS updates for models that are still 3-4 years old(Snip)

I don't agree with you on this.
    My iPhone5 would not allow the latest iOS updates, Many Apps requires the latest iOS to run, I had to update my Phone before I could run the latest Tomtom Go Mobile App
    My iPad will only update to iOS 9.3.5 and feel it has been deliberately slowed like the early iPhones

ATB YFM

"The iPhone 5 supports iOS 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10." (source Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_5

So basically 5 years this hardware has been supported.
    I'm not sure which iPad you have, but I guess it's also here 4-5 years of iOS updates.

GO5200 has been released in 2017, so according to "Apple standards" GO5200 should be supported, with updates like the GO Premium, up until 2020/2021. It's 2019 now.

And like I said, some iOS need newer hardware with features that weren't even present back in the day the original device was released, like AR/VR technologies, 4G and the upcoming 5G, WiFi 4/5/6 etc etc.
    Thing is... why is TomTom using the 2017 GO5200 device/hardware and update a fancy ROM to it, label it a new device called "GO Premium" and charge the full price for it? (that is the same price as the GO5200 priced a week earlier)

If they made it more attractive a.k.a. cheaper, I would understand. But now.... no way!
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,608 Superuser
    Hi @kiddingguy

So your complaint is that you can now buy a. GO5200 with more features for the same price as you could buy it last week without them.

By changing the name it is differentiated from the GO5200 so that you know you are getting the latest version.

Doug

• bruceybrucey Posts: 165 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Anyone with the new devices care to give an update on new software functionality, feel of firmware and time to turn on/connect to traffic etc especially compared to Nav 4/5 devices