Can I get a refund as the software never got out of beta, and now the camera is almost obsolete?

C10BC10B Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
The bandit was an expensive treat for myself, and I've been waiting and waiting for improvements to the software (and for it to get out of beta). And what have I been left with? A camera that is out of production, and software that is very poor and never to be updated. These cameras aren't trivially priced, and to move to an alternative is not an option for some time - unless tomtom are happy to refund me for knowingly selling me a product that was soon to become obsolete.

Answers

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,717 Superusers
    Good luck with that. The software was out of beta, even if you feel it was not up to standard (and companies are allowed to even sell beta software). The product was discontinued several years ago so any opportunity to file a claim would have needed to be done within the warranty period. They did not knowingly sell you a product that was soon to become obsolete. The camera works as advertised and just because you did not get the features you wanted does not make it unfit for purpose. They made a business decision based on several years of underwhelming sales that the product was not a success and stopped making it. They are not going to continue to spend money on software improvements for a device they are no longer even selling, that would be throwing good money after bad. That is the way business works, whether we like it or not. I have plenty of items I bought that did not work as I had hoped and were eventually discontinued but I have no grounds for a refund.
  • C10BC10B Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I purchased the camera less than 1 year ago. There was no indication then that it was old stock being shifted.
    The bandit windows app still says BETA on it.
    The date of the windows app is 2015.
    As you rightly point out, the product was designated as obsolete prior to me purchasing it - and I was not warned in any way. That's why I deserve a refund - I've been tricked.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,717 Superusers
    Give it a shot, it can't hurt to ask. You will need to contact Support to get the process started.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,765 Superusers
    Hi
    @C10B

Unless you purchased the device directly from Tomtom
    Your claim is against the Retailer

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'