Getting TomTom traffic paired between the TomTom 620 and my iphone SE — TomTom Community

Getting TomTom traffic paired between the TomTom 620 and my iphone SE

Can anyone help me?
I have had the TomTom 620 for a few months now, and have found it impossible to get my iPhone SE MyDrive app to bluetooth traffic data to the TomTom. No problems with bluetooth connectivity for handsfree phonecalls, or incoming txts.

When the TomTom is connected to the WiFi network, it gets TomTom traffic updates just fine, but this is lost once I drive beyond WiFi range. In the iphone settings, it shows mobile data is on and MyDrive app is clearly getting traffic updates ok. I have asked TomTom support, but they havent provided any solution yet. Any ideas?
Does TomTom support bluetooth to somewhat older iphones?

Best Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,138
    Superuser
    edited July 2019 Accepted Answer
    Hi @mark_the_kiwi

Just on the off chance where did you buy the Go620. If you bought it in Europe Traffic will not work. If you did please advise here.

If you do a factory reset and reset the unit up but do not input the WiFi details but set up your phones Bluetooth as usual and with MyDrive app on in background does Traffic work then by chance.

When RoadRider says BT it stands for Bluetooth.

Doug
  • mark_the_kiwimark_the_kiwi Posts: 14 [Legendary Explorer]
    Accepted Answer
    HI Doug,

Yay, found the solution, and you were on the right track. Today, after 4 months, we have both the iphone and my partner's Android paired now to the 620 unit with Bluetooth traffic working.

The problem is that the unit's bluetooth pairing, at least for traffic data, will not work if the unit is listening for traffic data from your WiFi. So, simply turn the WiFi off and pair your phone, or go for a drive, and pair phones away from the WiFi. This tip should be in the TomTom instructions, but is kinda intuitive when you think about it. At last I can see where the sheep mobs are blocking the road ahead, yes that happens, and yep the TomTom detects it.

Answers

• RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 551 [Revered Pioneer]
    TomTom uses Bluetooth low energy (BLE) on the newer devices.
    You need the MyDrive App on your phone ta set this up with the QR code on the device.

On older Phones BLE can be a problem in that case you can revert to Bluetooth Tethering.

To set this up first Remove he MyDrive App from your your phone. Remove the phone from BT settings in your TomTom and the TomTom from BT settings in your Phone.
    and follow the instructions in this link https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/content/name/Connect/page/3
    Thanks RoadRider, I forgot to mention that I am in NZ and we dont have BT here, but that's not a biggie. I tried setting up a hotspot which didn't work for some reason, and I'm not keen on that. After a quick search, it would seem the iPhone SE does support Bluetooth 4.2 which is BLE I understand. I would simply go to a TomTom tech, but they don't bother providing physical presence in NZ.
    still unresolved issue of not getting bluetooth traffic services, I might see if I can get my money back.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,138
    Superuser
    edited July 2019 Accepted Answer
    Hi @mark_the_kiwi

Just on the off chance where did you buy the Go620. If you bought it in Europe Traffic will not work. If you did please advise here.

If you do a factory reset and reset the unit up but do not input the WiFi details but set up your phones Bluetooth as usual and with MyDrive app on in background does Traffic work then by chance.

When RoadRider says BT it stands for Bluetooth.

Doug
    Accepted Answer
    HI Doug,

Yay, found the solution, and you were on the right track. Today, after 4 months, we have both the iphone and my partner's Android paired now to the 620 unit with Bluetooth traffic working.

The problem is that the unit's bluetooth pairing, at least for traffic data, will not work if the unit is listening for traffic data from your WiFi. So, simply turn the WiFi off and pair your phone, or go for a drive, and pair phones away from the WiFi. This tip should be in the TomTom instructions, but is kinda intuitive when you think about it. At last I can see where the sheep mobs are blocking the road ahead, yes that happens, and yep the TomTom detects it.
  • jatco12345jatco12345 Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I'm still having a hell of a time Pairing.. all too often.
    I have 2 - TT GO 620 listed on my Iphone. 1 says not connected, the says it is connected ...while other devices are swirling...
    On my TT, Hands free call ar connect but still unable to connect to Data for Traffic and Smartphone messages..
    I still dont get it after all this time. --
    On my Iphone, I use a different sign in, than I do on my personal Android. I turn off my Android during the day while on my Iphone. I know have turned off WiFi on my Iphone.. to just link via data...and still can not connect. -
    Most frustrating....
    Of late, while on the road, I'm using Google Maps on my iphone ...at least that works..
    Hells Bells..!!!
    ugh.
  • NB1945NB1945 Posts: 3 [New Traveler]
    Thomas , it’s insane but read and try this.....
    I’m Using iPhone 6s with go 620. Latest problem after reset of both phone and Tom Tom advised by Tom Tom is.... using phone hotspot and Bluetooth and MyDrive installed - I have no traffic or MyDrive ( unit says not available- app says device not in range! ) I deleted app and reinstalled but did not sign in, I now have TRAFFIC/MYDRIVE & BLUETOOTH showing connected but wi-fi not!!? All works and phone shows a device connected to hotspot but the 620 still says not. If I then sign into MYDRIVE, I then lose traffic and MyDrive says not connected!! Confused , I am , and going round in circles with support who don’t seem to understand my problem and just keep suggesting resetting everything constantly. So for now it works but not how it should if I follow the rules of connecting.