My Via keeps turning off or won't turn on

Angayo
Angayo Registered Users Posts: 4
Apprentice Seeker
Dear forum members,

The device is probably a TomTom Via 130 / 135.

Since about a year, after a (short) while of use my device has the habit of turning off. Behaviour is variable but it tends to stay on ever shorter and even starts refusing to switch on. That is the case for two cars and now my PC as well. In practice I can't count on it to bring me to my destination without exerting a lot of patience.

What can be done about that ?

Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,827
    Superuser
    edited March 2019
    Hi @Angayo

Are you using the Tomtom supplied cable with the connector for the Cig Lighter socket.

If you are plugging the USB end of the cable into a cars USB socket then there is not enough charge to run the unit whilst working and maintaining the battery which will gradually run down. If you are using a 3rd Party Cig Lighter socket plug then some have been found to regulate the charge to the tomtom and do not give the output you are expecting.. If so again not enough to charge and run unit.

Alternatively the battery may be coming to the end of its life and so a look on Youtube to see how to replace it and getting a battery from Ebay etc may be the next move.

You could also try a Factory Reset which you will find in Settings.

Doug
  • Angayo
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thank you for your response.

Yes, I use the cable that came with the device.
    No, I don't use the cars' USB sockets, but the cigar lighter sockets. I don't know the origin of the USB-to-cigar lighter-connector. On the PC I use an USB port. The device claims the battery is charged.

If the battery is failing then
    1) It is bad battery, since I have used the device only for about 100 to 150 hours in total,
    2) It is a user-unfriendly device, for it gives no indication that there is a problem with the battery.

I did a patial reset, which I took very long to do (for which the device carries no fault). Strangely enough the device did not switch off for more than an hour. I have an errant to run, so I'll test it.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,827
    Superuser
    Hi @Angayo

The original Tomtom Usb to Cig Socket will have Tomtom on it.

Doug
  • Angayo
    Apprentice Seeker
    Then it is a different socket. It worked with that socket before though.

The experiment was a failure. The device did not guide me to my destination. On the way back home I tried without connecting it to the ligter and then it worked the whole trajectory, which took about 20 minutes.

I don't know where that leaves me, since there is evidence the socket is not at fault (given the device also crashed while hanging on my PC). I'll try using it some more while not charging it and see what happens.
  • Angayo
    Apprentice Seeker
    I am rarely using the GPS device, so I didn't perform many trials.

When not charging, the device does not crash. Using it without charging causes other problems though. Yesterday, after 40 minutes, just before the leg of trajectory that I needed help with, it switched off, seemingly due to an empty battery. I arrived late.

An idea is of course to switch on the device only for that part of the journey that I need the directions for. However, a new problem has arisen that sinks that idea : the device may take a long time to find a valid GPS signal. If I just switch it on while already under way, I may have arrived (late) at my destination before it finds a signal. Yesterday for some reason, when I turned it on at departure, it found a signal within a minute.

lacking a working GPS functionality, the device still has its use as a small map.

Does anyone have ideas on how to restore GPS functionality ?

I am not a fan a of updating software as that has always been a hassle with this device and last time there was the added problem of crashes.