GO 5100 free memory — TomTom Community

GO 5100 free memory

As I try to update my device (5100) there is not enough memory to update the latest map (600+MB) I tried to free memory but that wasn't enough. So I tried to delete the map that is present on the device because it's out of date. In Mydrive I selected the map en press delete. In the list it's goon but as I try to install the new Map there is still not enough memory and as I look into the list again the old map is in the list again.
Does the device need the old map to update to the new one? I would think the old map will be deleted after installation of a newer vesion?

Henk

Best Answer

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,218 Superuser
    edited March 25
    Hi @aniwhy

If all mapping yo have is on the internal memory, which is 8gb then that is probably the reason. when the internal memory becomes full or the map update you want o input is to big for the available space then you need to install a Micro Sd Class 10 card in the Extra memory slot on the bottom of the unit.

It is recommended that you install a 16gb card or Max a 32gb card. The try the update. If the update makes the map too big for the internal memory it will load the map on the extra memory and the old map will be deleted.

Hope the helps.

Doug
  • aniwhyaniwhy Posts: 23 [Master Explorer]
    Thanks all.
    I knew there was a slot for a SD card. I just thought, If you put an update with roughly the same size as the old map on the device, why not delete the old map and put the new one in its place. You don't need two maps do you? But oké, I installed a SD and got the update.

Regards Henk.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,107 Superusers
    edited March 26
    Hi
    @aniwhy

Your Go 5100 has 8GB of onboard memory... the devices operating system uses some of the 8GB onboard memory + the operating system need a further minimum of 400KB free working space ( The more working space the better the performance of the device)
    The Latest Europe Map is near as dammit 9GB, you cant put a quart into a pint pot

If your GO 5100 still has the original Map installed on the onboard memory, maybe @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators will allocate a smaller Map to your Account
    Then you could delete the original Map from the onboard memory and replace it with the smaller Map
    The advantage would be plenty of working space and the smaller map will act as a 'Keeper' to enable the device to keep running on the smaller Map (Avoid the No Maps Found Error) if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formating a Micro SDHC Card

ATB YFM
    Hi Y.
    I had a 8GB SD card handy. So I used it for the update. If I understand you correctly, the next time I will run into the same problem. If I look into the info, it says there is 6,63GB of internal space left and on the SD memorycard there is 863MB left. So I presume the update is on the external SD memorycard and on the internal memory the europemap is deleted. You think that is correct? If I would copy the data on the 8GB SD to a mutch larger SD would it still work or do I have to update to the new SD? Is there a limit to the size of the SD?
    To be honest I could do fine with a smaller map. Most of the time I don't use it out of Holland. But oké. There isn't one available just for Holland. Would be very handy to have a few maps available on your computer and switch maps when needed. I think the majority is using there device like me, in one country. Maybe on hollydays they are in need of a different map. So it seems we all drive around with a huge amount of data that is in fact slowing down the performance if the device if I understood your answer correctly. It's the only thing that drives me crazy. You need to start it long before you start you trip. It's extremely slow. I own a old NAVMAN and the thing is very fast. My children prefere it over the TT. And it still navigates 90% correct. Never updated it.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 8,159 TomTom Moderator
    edited March 27
    Hi @aniwhy

I have activated the Benelux map on your account(smaller size). This should easily get installed on the internal memory of the device.( Since you mention that you mostly travel in Holland)

But when you travel requirements change its recommended that you use a 16Gig memory card to install larger maps.

btw the copying of data from one memory card to another will not help..The device will not recognise it.

Regards
    Vikram
    Hi Vikram.
    Thanks for sending me the Benelux version.
    I will remove the 8Gig SD and install it on the internal memory. Will this map be update like the Europe version?

Regards Henk
    edited March 27
    Hi Aniwhy

You mean how to install it?

Yes, it will be offered for download in MyDrive Connect..

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13838/

Thanks
    Vikram
    Hi Vikram
    It worked. The beneluxmap is on the internal memory and there is alot of space left. There is 1 map listed in the system. If I put in the SD card in it's slot there are 2 Maps listed and that was what I wanted. I keep the SD card handy and if I want to travell outside the Benelux I put in the SD card. Of course I have to update bouth maps now and again.

Regards Henk.
  • MatsHMatsH Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I have 0 bytes free. After deleting a voice of 816 kB, I cannot update community info -740 bytes, because memory is still full- 0 bytes free! How come?
    And why no maps without buildings? Why no Western Europe map without Russia and Turkey?
    Hi @MatsH

You need a micro SD Class 10 memory card either 16gb or maximum 32gb fitted in the extra memory slot and formatted in the unit for maps. Recommend Sandisk, Samsung or similar major make as some more obscure makes have had some problems. Also get the card from a reliable source to avoid possible fakes.

You has 8gb of internal memory on your unit and the current full European Map with Buildings is 9gb + hence will not fit and have the operating software on there as well.

You could go into My Drive Connect and click on My Contents then click on the map and change it to a smaller one that will fit on the internal memory and leave at last 400mb that the unit wants for operating purposes. The best thing is to add the extra memory. as then you can load the full European Map with buildings etc as it will be put on the Extra memory card and free up a lot of space on the internal memory.

One tip for you is when you have sorted out a map then go into the World Maps and Select Venezuela or Iraq and load it on your unit. This will ensure that you have 2 maps on it which means that if you have a problem during your major map update and lose the map you have a map still on the unit to be able to start it and reinstall the lost map. The 2 maps are very small indeed and take up little room on your internal memory and should be left there as your safety net.

All the best

Doug.
    Thanks for tip, but I still can't understand why I haven't got 816 kB free after removing the extra voice? I did try once with a proper 16 GB card but found that it didn't make proper contact as if it wobbled. Will try it again.
    edited July 31
    Hi @MatsH

When you put the card in I suggest that you gently push it in as far as you can with your finger then use something thin that you then very gently continue to push it in until you feel/hear a Click. When you have felt/heard the click and stopped pushing you will see the card come out ever so slightly although it is properly installed.. To get the card out you will again need the pusher to gently Push the card in until it clicks then it will pop out far enough for you to be able to remove with your fingers.

Doug
    Could I please get a small map for the memory card? (Would it be safer to have one on the main unit as well?)
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,107 Superusers
    edited September 2
    Hi
    @MatsH

The small map on the built-in Memory is essential, it far more important than being installed on the memory Card....
    The NAV4 & NAV5 devices need at least one Map installed onto the devices on-board memory before the device will even start-up... The small Map on the NAV4 devices (Like Your GO 510)... Will avoid the Catch22 situation... No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a 16GB or 32GB Micro SDHC memory card
    The small Map will also act as a 'Keeper'... This will enable the device to keep running on the smaller Map if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formatting a new/replacement Micro SDHC Card, the Keeper Map will allow the device to keep running and to give access to the Micro SDHC Card Format Option

Maybe @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators will allocate a smaller Map to the account of your NAV4 GO 510

If you wish to just stick with using the internal memory Instead of using a Micro USB Card
    Tomtom have released the Europe map in different Map Cuts (Map zones)... Will any of these new Maps suit your travel requirements ???
    More information Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1660206/#Comment_1660206

ATB YFM
    Hi @MatsH

A smaller map has been activated for your device. It should be offered for download in MyDrive Connect.

Regards
    Vikram