How to Install Updates? — TomTom Community

How to Install Updates?

I own a TomTom Go Live 1005, and although my Europe maps are obsolete I still have a Radar detector contract going on. When trying to update the Radar option I have no problem unloadin it to my computer; neverdeless, the problem arises when trying to install it from the computer to the Go Live 1005 navigator. No action. The only thing I get is a messege "waiting for device" (esperando al dispositivo). MyDrive Connect has no problem in detecting my Go Live 1005 device, they are perfecty connected.
It looks to me as if the navigator device, although being detected and connected, is not recogniced by MyDrive Connect. Thans for your help.

Answers

• GaryGMGaryGM Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    How much space is still available on the Go LIve 100S?
  • TxotaxTxotax Posts: 8 [Apprentice Seeker]
    355 MB in all. Thanks for your quick answer.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,532
    Superuser
    HI @Txotax

I presume that you mean you only have 355 mb of spare memory left on your internal memory.in which case you you should not try to put any more on the internal memory as it is recommended that you have about 400mb spare for operational purposes.

Does you unit have a slot for extra memory and if so you should consider adding about 16gb of extra memory so that when needed the maps can be loaded there when they become too big for the internal memory.

Doug
    TomTom Go Live 1005 doesn´t carry any slot for extra memory. Is it there a way to remove part of the inside memory? Thanks
    Superuser
    Hi @Txotax

Okay. There was more than one model of 1005. There were 2gb, 3gb and 8 gb internal memory models and the latter had an additional slot. The Models with a serial number starting SF and SB are now on the obsolete list and no more Software and Maps etc updates are being offered. Any subscriptions for Traffic and cameras etc are still being honoured.. It looks like you may well have one of them.

The only way to reduce the amount of space being used internally is to remove anything that you no longer need ie Poi files. The other option may be to see if you can still download Mapzones rather than having a full map on the unit. This was a system whereby you could say download just the UK not Europe or The European map in sections. If you downloaded all the map zones to your computer then you could change which Mapzones on the unit without the computer being connected to the internet.

Doug
    The serial number of the model I own starts with SA.
    Superuser
    Hi @Txotax

Can't see it in the Obsolete list. Its got 4mb internal memory and not mentioned on the comparable memory card list. You can remove Poi files the same way you loaded them but otherwise there is not much you can do.

Doug

Assuming we´ve gotten to the end of the road with no solution to may problem, I decided to try the last three options I had in mind. First, I uninstalled and reinstalled MyDrive Connect; then I substituded the European map installed in the navigator for the less heavier one, giving more room to the internal memory of the navigator, now it has 431 MB of free space. Finally, I resetted the navigator to factory settingns. That was it, it works. Problem ended. Thanks for your help.
    One final question, Go Live 1005 came with european maps for life. Am I still entitled for free maps update? Thanks.
    Superuser
    Hi @Txotax

Tomtom have said that Lifetime Map subscriptions or Lifetime maps that come with the unit continue be honoured for those units they apply to.

There have been problems with some 1005 units which have largely because of limitations of the amounts of memory they have. Keep an eye on the amount of free memory you have on the internal memory and try and ensure you have 400mb plus of free internal memory. The units use this memory for Operational Purposes. If necessary consider whether or not you can get Map Zones which is the European map split into areas. You can change the zone you have on your unit . If you go down this route then download all the Mapzones available for your Map not just the one you want at the moment. By downloading all to your PC you can change the Mapzone on the unit using your PC but without the need of an Internet connection to the Tomtom servers.

Doug
    The map I have in my Go Live 1005 belongs to version v8.80, and the only way I can see to replace it to the actual v10,25 version is through payment. I don´t see a way to update the maps as "free live time Europe maps". Is it there a way to do it, or I´m forced to pay again to update the maps? Thank you once again.
  • John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 683 [Revered Pioneer]
    Txotax wrote: »
    The map I have in my Go Live 1005 belongs to version v8.80, and the only way I can see to replace it to the actual v10,25 version is through payment. I don´t see a way to update the maps as "free live time Europe maps". Is it there a way to do it, or I´m forced to pay again to update the maps? Thank you once again.

Would suggest that you give Customer Services a call:-

España (Spain)
    Lunes-Viernes: 09:00-17:30

When connected, do NOT offer up your Model NUmber, wehen requested - you will eventually be connected to a "Live-Operator"!

Simply point out that you have a Life-Time Map Subscription & ask to be updated!

Thanks John-Jay.
    After following your advice I finally got to talk to a person at TomTom Customer Services, whom, to my astonishing surprise, told me that my device Go Live 1005 serial number "SA…" was not ever offered with "European maps for life"; and, that the only Go Live 1005 that was offered with such option was the one that its serial number started with "ST…".
    Almost eight year from now that I bought this navigator to a dealer store that doesn't exist anymore, and to say the truth I didn't verified or questioned dealer's explanations. Well, no one to blame except me. I just realised that I've been in a "limbo" all this time. Thanks again for the contribution I got from you, fellows.