TOMTOM HOME does not recognize the device — TomTom Community

TOMTOM HOME does not recognize the device

I received this navi as a gift in Dec 2018. My friends stated they bought it from TOMTOM in November 2018. After several months of use, I got a msg saying the map needed updating. As I have free lifetime maps I proceeded to try. I downloaded the HOME software and it suggested several updates, which I installed. Software said install was successful. When I restarted the device, a TOMTOM START whose SN first 2 are GZ, it showed two maps, Europe and USA/Canada/Mexico. The device then said it could not use those maps on this device. I then tried backup/delete of Europe map. After that was done, the device would still not allow me to use the remaining map. I then lost the USA/Canada/Mexico map. Now the HOME software does not recognize that the Navi is even connected to the computer, a Mac. The computer sees the TOMTOM as a removable HD named TOMTOM. Tech support have told me, after 2 weeks of back and forth, that my drive is a legacy device and they cannot help me further. Their last suggestion was trying the FAQ. I did try simply placing the backup files inside the HD icon on the desktop but that accomplished nothing as I thought it would do just that. Anybody got any ideas?

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,967 Superuser
    edited March 20
    Hi @networking

Which Start.Model do you have..Current Tomtom Models do not use Home software but Software called MyDrive Connect which you get from the Tomtom website.

Doug
  • networkingnetworking Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thx for comment. I was told to use TOMTOM HOME as I was told my device is a 'legacy' device despite its recent purchase. I did however try loading/using the Connect software. Just like HOME software, it will not recognize that the navi is connected to the computer. The computer knows a removable HD is connected. Knows it is named TOMTOM. I don't get it. I also don't un derstand why TOMTOM is not honoring their warranty.
    Hi @networking

I had assumed that as it was a gift it was a recent model. there are current Start models which will us MyDrive Connect software.

Can you advise the First 2 characters of the Serial Number. Not the whole number.

Doug
    Hi DougLap. First two of the SN are GZ.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,152 Superusers
    GZ=START 50 (2012) / 55, 4GB, TomTom HOME
    HI @networking

This does not look good. As you can see from @dhn it is a 7 year old model and that raises 2 questions in my mind.

You said it was bought from Tomtom in 2018 well I was not aware that Tomtom sold old units especially that age. Is there any chance that they have bought it via one of the websites spoofing as Tomtom. Did it come with a guarantee it was bought only 4/5 months ago.

Regarding Tomtom support saying they no longer supported GZ is not listed as Obsolete here.where they are listed in the first Post by @VikramK

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1031975/end-of-life-for-tomtom-devices/p1

I can only suggest that you reload TomTom HOME to make sure you have the latest. You need that to restore the Backup files you have. Then it is back to Customer Support. I am afraid unless someone else comes on here and has a solution for you.

All the best

Doug
    Hello DougLap and dhn thanks for your fast responses. I will have to double check with the people who gave me the TOMTOM, re: purchase date and where purchased. I have reloaded HOME several times, I am sure I have the latest copy of that. However since the software does not even recognize that the navi is connected to the computer there is not much I can do to restore anything. Thanks again, more info later.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,152 Superusers
    Thx for the response dhn, I will look. I downloaded Connect again just to try something but of course that software does not see the device either. The Mac does. etiaws2necn5.png
    See the attached image.