Saved route and alternatives error? — TomTom Community

Saved route and alternatives error?

TaMPererTaMPerer Posts: 12 [Master Traveler]
Here's what I found, anyone else see this too?
Design a route from A to B, save it to my routes
retrieve it from my routes
search for alternatives
select another alternative to the original
press ride
the navigator goes back to the original..

I have no extra waypoints on the route etc..
All software, firmware and maps are updated. Map is Europe 1025

Regards,

M from Finland
Tagged:

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,923
    Superuser
    Hi @TaMPerer

Just replicated your situation. Maybe because the TT is set to fastest Route and when you ask it to do another it Reverts to your setting of fastest Route.

if the Route was calculated in MyDrive and synced to a unit as a Track when I select Current Track I do not get an option to seek alternatives.

Interesting to see @YamFazMan's comment on this .

Doug
  • TaMPererTaMPerer Posts: 12 [Master Traveler]
    Thanks for a quick answer, Doug.
    Let's see if anyone else has an opinion.
    How do I report this officially to TomTom, or is this forum it?
    Superuser
    Hi @TaMPerer

It will get picked up here.by @VikramK or @lampard

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,473
    Superusers
    Hi
    @TaMPerer

How are you calculating the original A to B Route ???
    On the Device or using the MyDrive Web Route Planner and Save & Sync routes

ATB YFM
    Hi @YamFazMan

Only on the Device. Have not tried others.

Regards,

M
    Superusers
    edited March 2019
    Hi
    @TaMPerer

I have planned an A to B route where A is Home
    Saved the route to MyRoutes
    Cleared the route
    Reloaded the route
    Changed the route to an alternate route
    The device calculates the alternate route and is ready to use all 'OK'

A to B an route where A is not Home
    The device calculates the alternate route all 'OK'
    But now you need to Drive to the Start of your route
    Tap on The Drive Icon or use the Settings Menus 'Drive to route'
    Then 'Yes the whole route is re-calculated to the 'Fastest route'

When you save a route on the Device it saves the route as a .ITN route
    The .ITN route is a series of Stops/Waypoints that the device must visit in order that they were planned... With the device planning the route between the Stops/Waypoints using the choice made in the 'Always plan this type of route' in the setting Menus

If you use the the MyDrive Web Route Planner and Save & Sync routes....
    Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com
    Plan a route... Choose one of the alternate routes... Save & Sync the .GPX Track to MyRoutes on the device... You have saved a .GPX Track
    Open the .GPX Track --> Current Track --> Drive to track all 'OK'

ATB YFM
    Superuser
    edited March 2019
    Hi @YamFazMan

Hi Len. I have @TaMPerer's problem.

I have created a route from home to Watford and saved it to My Routes. I then cancel the route on the unit and reload the route from MyRoutes and then ask for alternatives and it offers me the 3 options. When I select the longest timewise which in my case is straight through London, it accepts my wish however when I tap Drive it suddenly switches and the screen shows the original recommended route around the M25 with the need to click Drive again..

When you did your test did you click on Drive?

Doug

Thanks @YamFazMan and @DougLap for your answers.

Yes, exactly like Doug explains. Device calculates the alternatives correctly, I can select any of them but when I want to actually "Ride" it goes back to the original.
    Superusers
    edited March 2019
    HI
    @TaMPerer
    @DougLap

This works for me....
    (1)... I created a route from Home to Watford
    (2)... Save it to MyRoutes
    (3)... Cancel the route on the device
    (4)... Reload the route from MyRoutes
    (5)... When the Route has reloaded
    (6)... Tap Run... You Must Tap Tap Run at this stage
    The device recalculates the route and the '( Run )' Icon changes to '( Lets Go )'
    (7)... Tap 4Dot (....) Menu --> Current Route --> Find Alternative
    (8)... Change the route to an alternate route... I'm offered 3 options
    (9)... Select the Northern route around Birmingham
    The Northern route around Birmingham is displayed with the '( Lets Go )' Icon
    (10)... Tap the '( Lets Go )' Icon
    (11)... The route is now live using the Northern route around Birmingham

Note... The device needs a GPS Satellite fix before the '( Lets Go )' Icon is available

ATB YFM

Superuser
    edited March 2019
    Hi @YamFazMan @TaMPerer

TaMPerer. I have assumed all along that you referring to a Rider410 as that is in your profile.

Yamfazman. I have not got a Rider model but have been testing this on my GO Camper which is a GO6200 based unit. Could you try the same on a GO6200 if you have one.

I have now tested it on my Go5000 and the problem does not occur and it happily starts to direct me along the selected Alternative Route.

On the GO Camper I do not have the Run icon to tap you refer to. When I select the on the GO Camper created Route it opens as normal, calculates the route and offers me the Drive Icon when it is ready.

It calculates the Alternatives when I ask it and when I select one it calculates it and finishes with it shown on the map with a Drive Icon. When I press Drive it hesitates for a split second then reverts to the original route shown on the map with a Drive Icon. which if I press directs me along the Originally calculated route around the M25 not through London as offered as an alternative.

Doug

@DougLap @YamFazMan

I only have the Rider410. (well, I do also have an old TT One v.3 somewhere..;-)

I think the problem is somewhere in the saving a route and the settings perhaps.

1. Create a route and save it and use it, try alternatives - only original route possible.
    2. Create route and try alternatives, works as it should.

Maybe I'll do a video of this on YT.
    Superusers
    edited May 2020
    HI
    @TaMPerer
    @DougLap
    TaMPerer wrote: »
    (Snip)I think the problem is somewhere in the saving a route and the settings perhaps.
    1. Create a route and save it and use it, try alternatives - only original route possible.
    2. Create route and try alternatives, works as it should(Snip)
    When you save a route on the Device it saves the route as a .ITN route
    The .ITN route can be just a single Stop (Your Destination) or series of Stops that the device must visit in order that they were planned to your Destination... The device plans the route between the Stops using the choice made in the 'Always plan this type of route' in the setting Menus (I use the Fastest Route option)
    Therefor irrespective of what you see on the screen when you save the A to B Route that starts from Home, you are in fact ONLY saving your Destination
    When you load the Saved route... the device knows your present location (The device needs a GPS Satellite fix)
    The .ITN route you loaded Knows your Destination, the device plans the route between the Start and End point

If you use the the MyDrive Web Route Planner
    Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com
    Plan a route... Choose one of the alternate routes... use the option Save & Sync to save the .GPX Track to MyRoutes on the device... You have saved a .GPX Track
    Load the .GPX Track the device will follow the .GPX Track

On the Device in MyRoutes a .ITN file is displayed with a Solid Arrow
    A .GPX Track is is displayed with a Dotted Arrow

uknohtwyd2p4.jpg

Today I Setup My GO 6200, GO 5000 & Rider 400 as follows
    This works for me....
    (1)... I created a route from Home to Watford
    (1.1)... Selected an alternate route
    (2)... Saved the Northern route around Birmingham to MyRoutes on all three devices
    (3)... Cancel the route on the device
    (4)... Reload the route from MyRoutes
    (5)... When the Route has reloaded
    (6)... Tap Run... You Must Tap Run at this stage
    The device recalculates the route and the '( Run ) or ( Ride )' Icon changes to '( Lets Go )'
    (7)... Tap 4Dot (....) Menu --> Current Route --> Find Alternative
    (8)... Change the route to an alternate route... I'm offered 3 options
    (9)... Select the Northern route around Birmingham
    The Northern route around Birmingham is displayed with the '( Lets Go )' Icon
    (10)... Tap the '( Lets Go )' Icon
    (11)... The route is now live using the Northern route around Birmingham
    Note... The device needs a GPS Satellite fix before the '( Lets Go )' Icon is available

ATB YFM

Superuser
    Hi @YamFazMan @TaMPerer

I think I am there.

If you have saved a route (ITN Type) created on the TT unit and then call up the Alternative Route option it does not work properly unless you have started using the route ie Pressed Drive and Lets Go and then before you do anything you can then use the Alternative Route facility perfectly okay.

If you Create a Track and then select Current route you do not get an option to select an Alternative route so you have to Start using the Saved Track before that option becomes available and works .

So really when selecting a On the Device created route the option to select an Alternative Route should, like with Tracks, not appear until you have Pressed Lets Go. Anyone seeing the Option for Alternative Routes at that early Stage would assume that it is a workable facility and not have to start using the Route first..

Doug
    Perhaps I'll just accept the option that once you retrieve a saved route, the device goes for the quickest route (as I have selected it in the settings). If I want a different route, I must save points on the way, to make it so.

I'll look in to this more later.

I've only played with this on the livingroom sofa, riding season is not yet here..(and originally I picked this 'error' from a local dventure riding forum, I didn't discover this)

regards, M
    Here's two quick videos. Sorry, in Finnish, but you get the idea.

link1

link2

Regards, M
    Superusers
    edited March 2019
    Hi
    @TaMPerer

I have just watched the video... link1
    In the Video when your hand shades the reflection on the screen, I can see the Aaa.itn file (Solid Arrow)
    After you have selected the Aaa.itn and the device has calculated the initial route and is displaying the ( Aja )/( Ride ) Icon... (Displayed at 2minutes 28 seconds into the video)
    Instead of selecting the alternate route like you do in the video
    Now Tap the ( Aja )/( Ride ) Icon
    The device will recalculate the route and make the route live/Active
    The ( Ride ) will change to ( Lets Go )
    Now Tap 4Dot (....) Icon --> Current route --> select your chosen alternate route
    The chosen Alternate route should display
    If you have a GPS Satellite lock
    The device will display the ( Lets Go ) Icon
    Tap the ( Lets Go ) Icon the device should ready to drive the chosen Alternate Route

Note... Before the ( Lets Go ) Icon is available you must have a GPS Satellite lock
    If there is NO GPS Satellite lock the device displays a small Satellite Dish Icon on the Traffic bar
    b6x4d9tgvcw6.jpg
    ATB YFM