successful failed update?

update failed for speed cameras (the 5200 has a lifetime subscription). Then it shows as updates complete.
I use a wifi connection with power via the USB, My Drive not running - what happens now?
Tagged:

Answers

• LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 9,074 Superuser
    edited March 19
    Hi
    In german part of this Forum some Users report the same. Sometimes the Updates work fine and somtime the updates fail.
    Today on my two devices the updates fail too but the Sat Nav tells mi all is fine.
    When i plan a rout the Speedcams was shown in the Routbar.
    greetings from germany
  • OpenpaddlerOpenpaddler Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    It may be something that has happened before but how do I tell if an update has been successful if I am getting a fail message and a success message.
    Lochfrass - I would expect Speedcams to be shown on a Route as this is only an update, showing Speedcams is not proof that the update has been successful
  • LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 9,074 Superuser
    Lochfrass - I would expect Speedcams to be shown on a Route as this is only an update, showing Speedcams is not proof that the update has been successful

Thats right Openpaddler.
    But not too long ago there was an error with the Speedcams with the updates and some users didn't show the Speedcams onder only partially.
    So it might help to isolate the error.
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 131 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    The last few times I have updated my TomTom Go 6200 for Speed cameras / Community updates; the 6200 stops at say 71% or some other %age downloaded…………………………….

Tuesday it froze at this level for almost an hour as I left the update running while I went back inside to have a cup of coffee etc. :)

I then did a Drum Roll Reset and it quickly got back to the 71% screen; after 2-3 more minutes it finished downloading then it was Updating………………. Yawn…………. Why do these small updates take so long???

Then it reported the update had failed…………………. :)

But on checking for the update to start over again I was informed the 6200 was up to date and checking again on Wednesday there are no more updates to install ☺

So why the Failed Update notice when in fact it had “apparently” completed the update or had it completed the update.............?

Which notification is correct??? :/

Based in UK - Tomtom Go 6200 (random ALG displayed )
    As Jack Nicholson would say: Is this as good as it gets??
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,797 Superuser
    Hi @Lost_Soul

It is a known issue they are aware of. Hope will be sorted.

Doug
    Hi @DougLap

Thanks for the confirmation it is a "known" issue; I had called Customer Services and got the normal platitude that it "had" to be something wrong at my end ............ wireless connection, anti-virus conflict etc etc. It would be ever so nice if all these known issues could be made public in some form - we can only dream ............ :)

Thanks.
    Hi @Lost_Soul

It has been reported by a number of people that the Speed cameras and map share updates are reporting as failed but when you click Ok it says Unit is up to date. It has happened to me on a couple of occasions.

They are aware

Doug
  • CJOCJO Posts: 16 [Outstanding Explorer]

It did not happen with today's speed camera update - it does appear to be a bit hit and miss.
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,012 TomTom Moderator
    edited March 22
    Hi @Lost_Soul

I've made some changes in the back-end to remove the existing speed camera's on your device and to apply these changes, follow the steps below:
    • Disconnect device from computer.
    • Soft Reset: Press and hold the On/Off button until you hear the drum sounds and the device restarts. This can take 30 seconds or more. Quit MD Connect application.
    • Click the MyDrive Connect icon in the Windows notification area or Apple menu bar> Settings>Downloads>Click 'Empty Download Folder'( If it's grayed out, just click on Save settings)
    • Open MyDrive connect.When your device is turned on, connect device to the computer.
    • On MyDrive Connect in right bottom corner, it will says ‘updating’.
    • Once complete then Check for the updates.
    Let us know how it goes!

Cheers, lampard
    Help others find useful content by clicking the like button and selecting the best answer to your question! You can check out our Knowledge Base and find the best comments on the Community here.
    Most important of all, have fun and be kind to one another!

• OpenpaddlerOpenpaddler Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    lampard - I didn't try your method as the update worked fine this morning - however I see some flaws in your suggestion the most significant being that the Go 5200 only updates via WiFi and not through a connection via My Drive Connect.
    If you open My Drive Connect and highlight my Go 5200 it shows me that updates are only via wifi and the USB only appears to be power and not data so the PC cannot 'see' the device.
    I have yet to discover a means of finding out the file list on the device.
    Hi @lampard

I followed your instructions several times, but did not notice MyDrive Connect in the
    right bottom corner, saying ‘updating’.

I did get a few Tomtom servers are busy right now please try again. :)

I checked for updates and 'believe' I had an outstanding Speed Camera update (5.27mb) from yesterday which completed updating without any error messages............... :)

I would assume if you are attempting to reload all speed cameras on my device the update would have been of a larger size?

Can you see from your end if the correction update has gone through on my device??

Thanks.
    Hi @Openpaddler

When you connect your device to MD connect via a USB cable it will disconnect your Wi-fi connection on the device.

Confusingly MD connect does say that updates are obtained via Wi-fi ..........

You still have to control the update process from the device through Settings / Updates etc on the device but it will update via the USB connection.
    Hi @Lost_Soul

Yay! The camera updates were successfully downloaded on your device. However, I still don't know what's causing this but good to know that it worked.

@Openpaddler As I mentioned above, this issue seems really random and we're still collecting the information to raise the priority.

Cheers, lampard
    Help others find useful content by clicking the like button and selecting the best answer to your question! You can check out our Knowledge Base and find the best comments on the Community here.

Hi @Lost_Soul

Regarding you surprise that the file is not bigger. If you are loading POI files onto a GO6200 there is a Limit of 2mb. There are a very large number of Poi 's in a File much smaller than 2mb. The Cameras file has been circa 5.2 mb for a while and must hold thousands of site details if it I that size.

Doug.
    Hi @lampard

Thank You - the updating message must have been brief :) - but glad it is showing your end as having worked....... Will let you know if I get a repetition of events next week.

Hi @DougLap Thinking about it that now makes sense. :) I had always assumed that the ~ 5mb speed camera updates were incremental; but as you say you can get many thousands of locations in a file that size - Thank you.
    Hi @lampard

Just to let you know I updated my TT Speed camera database today without any incidents or error messages, but the update process "definitely" does seem to have slowed down.............and wondered if TT have introduced an error checking procedure in to the download process?? But whatever has happenned; it worked OK. :)

Now maybe you can apply your magic touch to get the random ALG issue sorted or at least an update on when it is likely to be resolved please? =) =)

See here for details
    Hi @lampard

The last few updates have installed correctly without incident. but my Go 6200 on Wednesday advised me there was a speed camera update plus a community update and I said to update both................

After downloading / installing it then it reported the update had failed…………………. :s )

But on checking for the update to start over again I was informed the 6200 was up to date and checking again there were no more updates to install, so would appear we are back to square one again with the erroneous error messages................

The next time there are 2 updates I will try installing them one at a time to see if that makes any difference.
  • ShellbyGriffShellbyGriff Posts: 14 [Legendary Explorer]
    This has happened with the last two updates on my device.
    edited April 12
    Hi @Lost_Soul

The speed camera updates on your device were successfully updated yesterday as I can see. Whenever more than 1 updates are offered by MyDrive, then please update these 1 at a time, not all together. Best order to update 1 by 1: (if offered)
    • QuickGPSfix / Navcore
    • Map
    • Speed Cameras
    • Voices
    • Mapshare update (recommended to update last)

Thanks, lampard

• CrystalbarnCrystalbarn Posts: 60 [Legendary Explorer]
    I am having these same issues with failed updates on all 3 of my devices! Additionally since latest mydrive update, mydrive keeps saying no internet when internet connection is fine, it will then only connect to internet when a device is connected to PC.

The entire updating process and mydrive itself are hopelessly unstable and I'm finding myself wasting hours of my life being frustrated while attempting to update my devices!
  • CJOCJO Posts: 16 [Outstanding Explorer]

I updated the speed cameras this morning and got a update failure message, this has not occurred for a few weeks
    Hello @lampard

Just to let you know I have been seeing a repeat of the odd erroneous messages on all 4 of my devices this week; similar to what we discussed back in April.

I have been following your guidance of doing updates one at a time and in the order you suggested.

But today I was updating my Go Premium X and initially it told me that there was one update, but on selecting the update menu I was told the device was up to date. :/

This was repeated twice and then the update (Speed camera) commenced to download. I saw it was updating (slowly and stayed at~40% for some time) but after completing the update it commenced to update yet again.

Never seen a Speed camera update cycle comprise of Download - Update - Update.

Finally after completing this cycle, the device reported the update had failed…………………. :)

But on checking for the update to start over again I was informed the 6200 was up to date and checking again there are no more updates to install.

I am sure that all the updates have been completed but wanted to let you know as I know you are still collecting information to raise the priority to resolve this issue.

ps: I have also noticed that following a Speed Camera update that If I forget to do a Drum Roll Reset that all Speed Cameras are often missing on the Go Premium X requiring sometimes 2 Drum Roll resets to restore them.
    edited August 9
    Hello @Lost_Soul

I see that speed camera downloads for your Go Premium X has failed. Can you please try to update these again today and see if it's successful?

Regards, lampard

Hello @lampard

I tried the Go Premium X as requested and it said the device was up to date.

Did a Drum Roll Reset and tried again but still the Go Premium X is reporting it is up to date.

So nothing to update ?

Are you seeing the downloads have failed on your TT system for the Go Premium X ?
  • D-StreamD-Stream Posts: 129 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    @lampard its does this regularly tbh no matter what you do it will not sort itself till the next update cycle.

So Tuesdays failed you can reboot to your hearts content nothing sorts it till the next speed camera update in the week.