TomTom Start 40 not working — TomTom Community

TomTom Start 40 not working

I bought the TOMTOM 40 with S/N VN**75K***24 2-3 years ago in England and legally using the device with life time map update. That was fine. Last week Tom Tom I hooked up on my car as usual but not coneecting to my car. Today I came back from holiday and hooked up to my computer. Not connecting to computer either. The TomTom Drive connect try several bouts to restore my TOMTOM to no avail. Please help me. Where is the service man. My TOMTOM is perfect but not working.

Mod edit: Please don't post private or personal information on a public forum.Thanks!
Tagged:

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,186
    Superuser
    edited March 2019
    Hi @ywin

Can you give us a little more information.

Does the unit Boot up and work.?

Can you connect USB cable it to an Apple or Android phone charger and see if it is charging up.?

Have you tried another USB cable to see if the cable is faulty?.

Doug.
  • ywinywin Posts: 15 [Master Traveler]
    Thanks Douglap.
    The TOMTOM unit boot up and TOM TOM drive on computer laptop ( main user for this tomtom) try to retore my tom tom about 10 times now. no avails. I use the original TOMTOM uSB cable.
    I tried the another USB cable but it still not working though.
    My lap top is hP computer.
    Superuser
    edited March 2019
    HI @ywin

Have you got the latest MyDrive Connect software on your PC.

Here

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/getstarted/p/3908

Mine is window 10 latest 64 bit.
    Superuser
    edited March 2019

The current Tomtom MyDrive Connect software is 4.2.4.3704.
    Mine is 4.2.4.3691
    Dear DougLap,
    I click the link you gave me to download my Drive but only dowload 4.2.4.3691. My TOMTOM is still not connecting to computer yet.
    Superuser
    Hi

Then use the link to get the latest version.

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/getstarted/p/3908

May not cure but best to have latest.
    The third time i download the software given by your link. It is only 4.2.4.369. I remove the version of the same from my computer before I download it. Not connected to my device. It is still problem.
    TOMTOM myDrive connect software doing the same thing. Restore my device to no avail. No effect at all. What can I do?
    Superuser
    Hi @ywin

My apologise that is the 3691 latest for a Windows PC.

When you connect the Start 40 can the MyDrive software see it ie does it say connected.

Doug

It said not conected.on device crossed sign shown between computer and device.
    Superuser
    Hi @ywin

Customer Support if we can't sort it

United Kingdom 02079 490 132

Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
    My drive software see my device though.
    Superuser
    edited March 2019
    Hi @ywin

You have been using the Phrase Restore . Is that what you are trying to do.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034277/how-to-recover-your-device/p1?new=1

Doug
    Thanks. I will contact them to get the new TOM TOM device. Many thanks.
    Superuser
    edited March 2019
    Hi @ywin

If you are thinking of getting a new one when you speak to Customer Services see if they will give discount seeing as you have a problem with your current one.

I would draw your attention to the fact that the Current Start Units have a problem with Post Codes in the UK because they don't have the Quick Search facility on other units. Go for a GO or Via unit that meets your needs and set it to Quick Search. Otherwise they are fine.

Doug
  • VoucherVoucher Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have the same device TOMTOM START 40, but I see it is not supported any more. Is it possible to upgrade it?
    Superuser
    Hi @Voucher

What are the first 2 letters of your units serial number. Not all Start 40 units are obsolete.

Units cannot be upgraded. once they are declared obsolete that is it.

Doug
    It is VN.
    I was using it perfect and it all problems as I stated here.
    Thanks
    Superuser
    Hi @ywin

Your Start model is not on the Obsolete lis. It has 8gb of internal memory and has a a Slot for extra memory. I would Add a Micro SD Class 10 memory card, 16gb or the maximum acceptable size of 32gb, and then if the the mapping becomes too big to fit on the internal memory the larger map will be installed on the extra memory. When that time comes you could try contacting Customer Support and see if they will add a small map, it doesn't have to be one you need, so that it will fit on the internal memory and stay there.. This can help you avoid a problem you can have if you have no map on the unit and the SD card is lost or fails for any reason.

Doug
    My problem is not the memmory problem.
    I bought the TOMTOM 40 with S/N VN**75K***24 2-3 years ago in England and legally using the device with life time map update. That was fine. Last week Tom Tom I hooked up on my car as usual but not coneecting to my car. Today I came back from holiday and hooked up to my computer. Not connecting to computer either. The TomTom Drive connect try several bouts to restore my TOMTOM to no avail. Please help me. Where is the service man. My TOMTOM is perfect but not working. This is what I posted on 18th March. Finally the service at TomTom said they would charge me euro 75 to fix my problem amd ask me to agree. I will never agree. I used Google map freely to drive very happily now and other free staffs.
    Superuser
    Hi @ywin

Sorry I was asking @voucher for the serial number not you.as he said his Start was no longer supported.

I misread your answer as from him.

Doug