Can't connect to computer - or do anything at all.

dbwavell
dbwavell Registered Users Posts: 8
Apprentice Traveler
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
I bought a GO 5200 wifi in May 2017, from TomTom.com. I did learn how to work it. But since June 2018 I always get a 'disconnected' screen. Following instructions to reset etc does not work. Wiser minds than mine have been trying for many months. After spending extra money on this expensive device, how could I just give up and buy another?

Answers

• dhn
    dhn Posts: 33,382
    Superuser
    You should be able to get updates using WiFi on that model. You CAN use the computer with the usb cable and MyDriveConnect running BUT minimized.
  • dbwavell
    Apprentice Traveler
    But I don't get any normal screens on the device, after the initial world map. So there are no menus or anything.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,827
    Superuser
    edited March 2019
    Hi @dbwavell

When you say you have tried reset what do you mean. A Soft Reset which involves holding the ON/OFF button down for about 20 seconds or a Full Reset via the Systems menu icon.

As @dhn says the recommended method for updating , unless you have no or poor Wifi download, is to connect the GO5200 directly to the Wifi . When you start the GO5200 it should tell you if there are any updates unless it has not been setup to log into your Tomtom account.

Can you give more information re the Disconnected screen you refer to. Is this on the GO5200 or have you opened up the MyDrive Connect Software and getting it there.

Doug
  • dbwavell
    Apprentice Traveler
    j5azdp5krpqf.jpg
    Are you saying the device can be connected to the Wifi router through a USB cable? I can't see any facility for that.
    Sorry to seem dim. But thanks for the quick answers anyway.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    edited March 2019
    Hi @dbwavell

When you turn your GO5200 on if youTap Menu do you see a Wifi icon top Right and is it Bold with some solid bars to show strength of connection and not Greyed out thus showing that is connected to your Wifi.

If it is okay Tap Settings
    Tap Updates and New Items and you should see any updates to be loaded. If there are any do them 1 at a time with any Operation Software updates being the first one you do.

Doug
  • dbwavell
    Apprentice Traveler
    There is no word MENU, or Settings either. Just the world map and TOMTOM - followed by the screen whose image I have sent you.
  • dbwavell
    Apprentice Traveler
    In the last few minutes my PC has entered our conversation, by saying that the HD on Device E cannot be used without reformatting.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    edited March 2019
    Hi @dbwavell

The screen shot you are showing suggests the GO 5200 is trying to go into Recovery mode which means it wants you to it connect via USB and then go through the Recovery Process as here.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034277/how-to-recover-your-device/p1?new=1

If it is this the 3 tap timing is the tricky bit.

Doug
  • dbwavell
    Apprentice Traveler
    Thanks.
    My PC has now joined the conversation, and is saying HD on device E cannot be used without reformatting.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    edited March 2019
    Hi @dbwavell

Don't reformat it. Can you follow the Video.

Doug
  • dbwavell
    Apprentice Traveler
    I have already tried that three times. I do get the white text - but no whirling symbol. I tried hitting the button three times - but no effect. It just goes back to the old diagram, and stays there.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    edited March 2019
    Lets see if @lampard from TT has any ideas to resolve this as you look to be stuck in the middle of a restoration..

Keep looking here.

Doug
  • LAURE123
    LAURE123 Posts: 1,632
    Superuser
    edited March 2019
    Hi all

@dbwavell

Warning! Don't format your GO5200, it would be completely unusable.

I think while an update of the NavCore, the internal software of the device, there was a problem (internet connection cut/connection too weak/maps downloaded at the same time)

Your GO5200 wifi need to reinstall its NavCore, it is already in Recovery Mode.
    For this, you must use the MyDrive Connect software installed on a computer and your cable.
    Follow this FAQ for Wifi devices:
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23176/related/1

- You don't need to do the procedure of 3 successive presses.
    - First you need to install the MyDrive Connect software on your PC and log in with your email and password.
    - Connect the cable directly to your computer USB port (no hub) and your GO5200.
    - The PC download and reinstall the NavCore, the internal software, around 350 Mb. Your device will restart during the process, wait and leave it connected to the PC until it has a normal display.

I hope it will work for you, If not contact TomTom Customer Service for more help:
    🇬🇧 United Kingdom
    02079 490 132
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Regards.
  • dbwavell
    Apprentice Traveler
    Many thanks for your help.
    I have not reformatted the device, fortunately.
    I followed the stages you outline, and MyDrive Connect did say it was restoring my device, giving a sequence of percentages of the job that had been done. After it got to 100%, the GO5200 rebooted and seemed to be getting somewhere. However, in the last stage, with the world map on the screen, the white progress indicator on the bottom of the screen only moved across about 10% and stopped. Following which, the black 'restoring' graphic reappeared on the screen.
    If I leave it connected up, parts of this cycle seem to repeat - but with no good outcome.
    I do hope someone is able to solve the problem!
    Derek Wavell
  • LAURE123
    LAURE123 Posts: 1,632
    Superuser
    edited March 2019
    @dbwavell

You have successfully performed the 'Recovery mode' process but your device can't restart properly. Sorry for you. 😟

You can try again, but before, charge the battery of your GO5200 with a main charger (smartphone/Iphone/Tablet 1 or 2A) at least 2 hours. 'Recovery Mode' need a full battery.

After, all that remain is TomTom customer service to help you unlock your device.
    If you bought your device in May 2017 it's still under warranty.
    🇬🇧 United Kingdom
    02079 490 132
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 to 17:30

Regards.