GO 6200 Professional V TOMTOM Camper — TomTom Community

GO 6200 Professional V TOMTOM Camper

Ian4220Ian4220 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
Hi,
I have been using a Garmin Camper 760 sat nav for my motor home. The routing has been a dissapointment and its a sod to update. I am looking to change as the GO 6200 I recently purchased is proving to be a winner in the car.
Question is in two parts.

1 Is the Go 6200 Professional and the Go Camper the same but just badged differently or is there differences. I have look at the spec for both and they look more or less the same.?

2 I can see that when i am planning a route useing My Drive I can select a large vehicle profile and put the dimension in. Is this the same as the Go6200 pro / Camper if so is there any benefit from buying a professional of camper model?

Any comments would be appreciated
Thanks

Best Answers

Answers

• Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 231 [Exalted Navigator]
    Hi @Ian4220

Another option is that you can purchase the "Europe Camper map" and install it on your current Go 6200 and which will then allow you to set vehicle dimensions etc.

The disadvantage is that you will have to renew the map subscription versus the Free updates if you buy another device - I did this on my Go 6200 and was lucky this time last year as Tomtom discounted the map purchase. :)
  • LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 13,677
    Superusers
    Lost_Soul wrote: »
    Hi @Ian4220

Another option is that you can purchase the "Europe Camper map" and install it on your current Go 6200 and which will then allow you to set vehicle dimensions etc.

..... - I did this on my Go 6200 and was lucky this time last year as Tomtom discounted the map purchase. :)
    @Lost_Soul Oh. Thats new for me. Does the Camper map realy work on the go6200?
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,897
    Superuser
    Hi @Lost_Soul

When you use the Camper Map on your GO6200 does it display the Extra Camper Poi's on the Map with the same icons as the GO Camper does as can be seen onthe model images on the Tomtom site.

Doug
    @Lochfrass

Yes it really does work on the 6200 :):)

For example if there is a road which is narrower than the Vehicle width dimensions it will avoid the road and show the road coloured as "purple " on the map.

However the map is not without its flaws (I believe the Go Camper also suffers the same) as I have an outstanding query with Customer Services of being sent down very Narrow Roads that were 'just about the width of the vehicle' with no room to pass another vehicle coming the opposite way without one vehicle having to reverse several hundred yards or more.

For example on the above scenario I had to reverse my car a hundred yards or more as an oncoming vehicle was blocking my ingress – this would have been very difficult if not impossible to do the same with a Caravan in tow. The Go 6200 was set to a Van Vehicle Type.

@DougLap
    It does show Camping Sites etc ( but the standard car maps also do that !) but I would imagine that the dedicated Go Camper device will have more additional and relevant POI's, as the 'Europe Camper Map' has the same 9 million blurb re POI's as the standard Europe Map. ;)
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,897
    Superuser
    edited March 2019
    Hi @Lost_Soul

On the GO Camper there 5 POI files which are Listed in MyPaces and are the additional POI files and you can set them to Display on the Map and they have their own specific Icon, not one of the 5 optional Icons.

They are ANWB, ADAC and Campercontact POI files. Can you see them..

Doug
    Hi @DougLap

Sadly I do not have the Camper POI's :'( only the standard 5 Icons........

I guess it must be a marketing strategy on Tomtoms part to entice you to buy the Go Camper device to include the additional Camper type POI's . :)