Route Planning for another country

Stuart Webster
Stuart Webster Registered Users Posts: 5
Apprentice Seeker
I live in Australia am travelling to the UK this June. I have downloaded the latest UK map to my device.
The questions I have are:
1) How can I be 100% certain the map will work when I arrive in the UK?

2) I have a hectic itinerary so I want to plan & enter in all of my destinations now before I get there . How do I do this.

Any guidence will be most appreciated
Regards
Stuart

Best Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,828
    Superuser
    edited March 2019 Answer ✓
    Hi @Stuart Webster

Regarding will it work when you are here all I can say is when I visited the US my TT worked just like it would in Europe

Regarding sorting out destinations this is what I would do .

If you have your Usual Australia Map chosen when you go to MyPlaces you see the Favourites you have saved on the unit with any 3rd Party POI files listed underneath.

Now Go to Maps in Settings and select the UK map. If you now Tap Menu you will see that the Drive Home Icon now says Add Home. If you Tap Add Home you can now set a Home Destination in the UK.

Now if you Tap the MyPlaces Icon you can see a Home icon at the top, if you have set one, but there are No other MyPlaces favourites listed but any 3rd Party Poi files you have loaded are there even if they do not include any UK POI positions in the files.

So now you have got the UK map selected you can locate places you want to Save and they will be displayed in MyPlaces as your Favourites.

If you now Tap MyRoutes you will see any Saved Routes you have at the moment but they are Greyed Out. If, with the UK map selected, you now Add a Route either from one created on the Go Essential or Imported they will be listed at the top.of the MyRoutes List. In order to import Routes for the UK map you will have to move the UK Map to the Internal memory if its not there at the moment.

One thing to be aware of is that Traffic will not work here in the UK. This is because Traffic only works on a Tomtom unit within the Area that the Unit was bought in.

Hope that answers your question.

Doug

Answers

• Lochfrass
    Lochfrass Posts: 17,718
    Superuser
    Hi
    Wich Go Device did you own?
  • Stuart Webster
    Apprentice Seeker
    Its a Tom Tom Go essential.
    Thank you
    Kind regards
    Stuart
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,828
    Superuser
    edited March 2019 Answer ✓
    Hi @Stuart Webster

Regarding will it work when you are here all I can say is when I visited the US my TT worked just like it would in Europe

Regarding sorting out destinations this is what I would do .

If you have your Usual Australia Map chosen when you go to MyPlaces you see the Favourites you have saved on the unit with any 3rd Party POI files listed underneath.

Now Go to Maps in Settings and select the UK map. If you now Tap Menu you will see that the Drive Home Icon now says Add Home. If you Tap Add Home you can now set a Home Destination in the UK.

Now if you Tap the MyPlaces Icon you can see a Home icon at the top, if you have set one, but there are No other MyPlaces favourites listed but any 3rd Party Poi files you have loaded are there even if they do not include any UK POI positions in the files.

So now you have got the UK map selected you can locate places you want to Save and they will be displayed in MyPlaces as your Favourites.

If you now Tap MyRoutes you will see any Saved Routes you have at the moment but they are Greyed Out. If, with the UK map selected, you now Add a Route either from one created on the Go Essential or Imported they will be listed at the top.of the MyRoutes List. In order to import Routes for the UK map you will have to move the UK Map to the Internal memory if its not there at the moment.

One thing to be aware of is that Traffic will not work here in the UK. This is because Traffic only works on a Tomtom unit within the Area that the Unit was bought in.

Hope that answers your question.

Doug
  • Stuart Webster
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thank you all so much. I will do as you have mentioned here and let you know !!
    Cheers
    Stuart
  • Stuart Webster
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi again, thank you. I think I have added the places correctly. Just another question, can I also add places/points of interest by using the Latitude and longitude coordinates?? If so, how can I do this

Thanks again
    Stuart
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,790
    Superuser
    edited April 2021
    Hi
    @Stuart Webster

Coordinates.....
    Tap on the four dot Icon (....) (Bottom left screen)
    Tap Search Icon
    Tap (Top right on screen) Tap Whole map
    Note…… On some units (I think) it says Installed Maps
    Scroll down
    Tap Latitude Longitude Icon

By the way... When the device has a "GPS Satellite lock"
    The Latitude and Longitude shown on the screen as an example is....
    Live for your location

When inputting coordinates using DMS format, you can't enter seconds as a decimal point
    Example N 50° 31' 10.62'' W 4° 1' 55.95''
    But If you simply round up or down the second's entry in the example
    I.e... The North decimal point to 11" and the West decimal point to 56"
    It gives B3212 Sampford Spiney UK
    If you tap the offered Sampford Spiney UK
    The Map will open at the location
    Tap the blue "Drive Steering Wheel" icon to drive there
    Or
    Tap the 3Dot Icon and the Quick Menu will open with more options ie...
    "Add to MyPlaces"
    "Use as a starting Point"
    "Search Near Here"
    Note... If you already have a route planned and want to add a coordinate location to the route, the 3Dot Icon Quick Menu will have an extra option...
    "Add to Route"

Also.....
    Example inputting coordinates using GPS format, for example, If you enter N 52 23.488 W 2 12.501 it's a field in Worcestershire UK
    In the text, the New GO range will display the coordinate location and underneath, offer the nearest road location as a destination, in this case, an (Unnamed location) Hurcott UK

021fa32a-9e95-483a-a598-114e5cae63e8.jpg(1)... Tapping the Black Pennant Icon opens the "(Unnamed location) Hurcott UK" Tap the blue "Drive Steering Wheel" icon to drive there
    Or
    Tap the 3Dot Quick menu for more options... See the above "Sampford Spinney" example for more info

(2)... Tapping the Globe coordinate Icon only zooms the map into the Globe Icon (Tapping the Globe Icon on the Map does nothing)... Pinch zoom the map down until the Black Pennant Icon is in view... Go to bullet point (1)...

If you Tap the dual function Icon (3Lines & 2Circles

2ytgzd26585n.jpg

You can toggle between a Map and List view or tap the Keyboard Icon to return to the Coordinates menu screen

If you pinch-zoom the map screen, it will show the coordinate location on the Map

The GO will give you the coordinate location and will show it on the map, but can only plan a route to the nearest road access point

ATB YFM
  • Stuart Webster
    Apprentice Seeker
    thank you again! I will give it a go

Cheers
    Stuart