App crashing on Android 9

patpalloonpatpalloon Posts: 105 [Master Explorer]
App still keeps crashing all the time since my phone updated to android 9. Have tried all the fixes but not working. TomTom have been useless. App obviously needs a bug fix .

Best Answer

• patpalloonpatpalloon Posts: 105 [Master Explorer]
    Accepted Answer
    At last, there is a solution to this problem of constant crashing. First delete the tt folder on your phone. That's it. You don't need to do a factory reset or unpair the watch or Uninstall the app. Secondly - do not look at your activity on the app. Just use the app for uploading your activities and update the quickGPS only. To view your activities go to the mysports website. It's when you view your activity on the app that causes it to crash.

Thanks to forum user quickrunner for solving this.

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,807 Superuser
    edited March 14
    HI @patpalloon

Have you tried completely deleted the App from your phone including all data then re loaded the App.

Doug
    Yes tried that unfortunately no good. I haven't done a factory reset of the watch itself yet but can't do that until I get back.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,807 Superuser
    Hi @patpalloon

Had not thought you might be talking about a watch App.

@tfarabaugh is your man and hopefully he will see this and be able to help.

Doug.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,717 Superusers
    I think it is simply incompatibility with Android 9. They will theoretically update it some day but I would not hold my breath. Did you do a full reset of the entire system?

Reset the connection following these steps. You first need to remove the watch from the phone's BT menu (in iOS you have it forget the device) after you reset or try pairing again and remove the TomTom_MySports folder from the internal storage of the watch (plug it into a computer and you will see it as a hard drive and can delete it there). The steps are: uninstall the app, remove or forget the watch from the phone's BT menu, factory reset the watch, reinstall the app, select Pair New on the app, select Pair New on watch (press down from the clock and select Phone>Pair New, not Sync) and follow the prompts on the phone. You should not be pairing the watch first through the phone's BT menu; it is all done through the app and you must have the phone forget the watch in the BT menu before re-pairing.
    Thanks - this worked. The only problem I found was that my phone did not forget the device - when I reinstalled the app it had still remembered it - so I unpaired it from the app and then re-paired and was OK.

The only other thing is I notice that on the app the icon for waiting for watch/preparing to synch is now PURPLE and I'm sure when the app was working fine it was GREEN. Don't know if this is a problem - seems to be working fine for now.
    Update - this was only a temporary fix. If you delete the data from the app and start again it works for a period of time and then keeps crashing. All the steps suggested - factory reset of watch etc make no difference. Obviously a patch is needed for Android 9
    Getting really fed up with this. I have reported this problem to TT several times, the first time being over 2 months now and nothing has been done. It's a shame as the watch itself is a great piece of hardware let down by rubbish software and non existent support.
  • Amberman24Amberman24 Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    I have totally given up on the mobile app because I cant get it to do anything, I have Android 9 and as someone else has noted I think it is incompatible.
    I have now downloaded the sports app on my PC and everything works well on there including the pairing and syncing from my watch,
    I have got it linked to strava from the app which I can get on my phone no problem.
    That's fine if you are at home and have access to a PC. But it's no good if you are travelling and reliant on the mobile app.
  • Amberman24Amberman24 Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    patpalloon wrote: »
    That's fine if you are at home and have access to a PC. But it's no good if you are travelling and reliant on the mobile app.

I know what your saying but it is an option if you've been pulling your hair out like me and want to access the app after a day's activity.
    When I go away on holiday it WILL be a problem though.
    I hope a fix can be found.
    I wouldn't hold my breath. Support now is non existent. The people in India have been fobbing me off for 2 months. They even told me to update the Go Mobile app - which is a sat nav app, nothing to do with the watch.

I'm at the point where I really want some sort of compensation from TomTom, because the watch is now unusable and I feel my only option is to buy an alternative.

And it seems to be getting worse. Now it won't even run once after a reset without crashing. 😥
    I hope they can fix it 😥 because apart from this problem, I love the watch. I've had it 3 years and it does everything I need it to do. Afaik it was the first GPS watch with a heart monitor to have music built in. I love being able to just head out on a run with only the watch and headphones with no need to carry a phone.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,717 Superusers
    patpalloon wrote: »
    I hope they can fix it 😥 because apart from this problem, I love the watch. I've had it 3 years and it does everything I need it to do. Afaik it was the first GPS watch with a heart monitor to have music built in. I love being able to just head out on a run with only the watch and headphones with no need to carry a phone.

I highly doubt it is going to be fixed. They leid off the entire division 18 months ago,
    Accepted Answer
    At last, there is a solution to this problem of constant crashing. First delete the tt folder on your phone. That's it. You don't need to do a factory reset or unpair the watch or Uninstall the app. Secondly - do not look at your activity on the app. Just use the app for uploading your activities and update the quickGPS only. To view your activities go to the mysports website. It's when you view your activity on the app that causes it to crash.

Thanks to forum user quickrunner for solving this.
    After a few weeks of the app working fine it is back to constantly crashing again. I can't get the watch to forget the phone it says you need to do it via the app which is of course impossible. I'll try a factory reset again.

TomTom say they are going to release a bug fix because apparently they had enough users report this fault. But I will believe this when I see it.
  • TeiTei Posts: 43 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I have the same problem; the app started crashing on my phone again after working fine for a long time, before that it kept crashing for a while. I have android version 9. The only way I can upload the activities from the watch is to uninstall the app, reinstall it, and pair my watch anew. The second time I try to open the app, it crashes.
    It's a known bug with android 9. If you can get the app to run then once you have closed it, go in to your phone's memory and delete the TomTom folder. Do not use the app to look at activities, just for uploading activities and updating the quickGPS.

Also, if you could report it here using live chat https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/contact
    Customer service say they are working on a fix but it's been several months already so not holding my breath. But the more people report it the better.
    They've just released an update of the app for android! It doesn't specifically say what the update is for but fingers crossed.
    Unfortunately this problem has returned and seems worse than ever. App constantly crashing. Only solution seems to be to clear all data, start the app again and log in but this seems to only work a couple of times before it starts crashing again. No response from TT.