This is Killing me Go 520 wifi — TomTom Community

This is Killing me Go 520 wifi

YIsThisAlwaysSoHardYIsThisAlwaysSoHard Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
I bought the Go 520 wifi world but only the USMEXCA map is loaded. I need the Europe zone 5 map. I went into MyDrive Connect to add it to my devices to see if I need to upload it from there.

I click on Add a device and then I'm prompted to connect to my computer. Once plugged in, a screen pops up Update the easy way (YEAH Right!)

From here I'm screwed. I've followed the wifi instructions all the way to the Oops we're having trouble accessing tomtom services. (I know the feeling.)

I followed the instructions plugging into the computer then going to settings>Update & New Items to the smiley face telling me I'm all up to date.

Two questions. Should my Go 520 Wi-Fi world have been loaded with the Euro zone 5 map already and why can't I add the 520 to MyDrive connect. I have a Start 25 loaded here and it works fine.

Please help before I give up and send it back.

Best Answer

• YIsThisAlwaysSoHardYIsThisAlwaysSoHard Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    Accepted Answer
    LAURE123 wrote: »
    Hi @YIsThisAlwaysSoHard

If you can't find the EU map and your device say 'you are up to date' without new downloads, then your subscriptions may need to be activated or reactivated.

Contact TomTom customer service who can do it for you.
    Since your device is new, you will certainly have an NavCore update (internal software), it must be done alone before the maps.

🇨🇦 Canada (en)
    +1 877-757-7137
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. EST

🇨🇦 Canada (fr)
    +1 888 301 0690
    lundi-vendredi: 06h00-11h30 EDT

Regards.

Eureka!

Thank you Laure. The customer service phone number is what I needed to get things straighten out. My account did not get activated at Tomtom. The service rep spotted the issue and 5 minutes later uploading began.

Thank you everyone for your help with my problem.

Answers

• LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 14,618
    Superusers
    To load a new Map. Tap on the Satnav: Menu/settings/maps/add maps
    See:http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/gox20x/html/en-gb/index.htm#Maps-Prato.htm
    If you connect your device with MyDrive Connect and the USB cable you have to do all the operations on the navigation device.
    Sometimes "ups errors" are caused by an inserted memory card
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,209
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Y IsThisAlwaysSoHard

The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices like you’re GO 520 normally update using Wi-Fi...
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    See Option... (2) Connect over USB

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Setting --> Maps

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Updating your new NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here.....
    www.tomtom.com/getstarted
    Run MyDrive Connect.....
    Note... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar

27bxc59f2s23.png
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Setting --> Maps

ATB YFM
    Lochfrass wrote: »
    To load a new Map. Tap on the Satnav: Menu/settings/maps/add maps
    See:http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/gox20x/html/en-gb/index.htm#Maps-Prato.htm
    If you connect your device with MyDrive Connect and the USB cable you have to do all the operations on the navigation device.
    Sometimes "ups errors" are caused by an inserted memory card

Thanks. I followed that all the way to Add a map. What I see here is > Available space 5.93 GB

Is this where I should see the European zone 5 map option?
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,690
    Superuser
    Hi @Y isThiAlwaysSoHard

It is telling you that amount of spare space on your internal memory. Unless you remove the existing map there it has not got enough space for the 8gb European Map. If you insert a 16 or 32gb Micro Sd Class 10 card from a major manufacturer such as Sandisk ir Samsung then it will add the map there.

If when you do that you get to that point and it does not list the available maps then contact Customer Support to get them to sort your account out and add them to it.

Doug
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @Y isThiAlwaysSoHard

It is telling you that amount of spare space on your internal memory. Unless you remove the existing map there it has not got enough space for the 8gb European Map. If you insert a 16 or 32gb Micro Sd Class 10 card from a major manufacturer such as Sandisk ir Samsung then it will add the map there.

If when you do that you get to that point and it does not list the available maps then contact Customer Support to get them to sort your account out and add them to it.

Doug

Thanks Doug. You walked me back off the edge! I'll pick up a card and give it a try.

Superuser
    Hi again @Y IsThisAlwaysSoHard

When you get to the point of Clicking on Add a Map the list will not include Europe Zone 5 but the full European map. You might as well load that although depending on your Wifi it can take some time.

You may find that if you really only want Europe Zone 5 if you contact Customer Support they may be prepared to add that to the list of Maps available to you then when you update it it will do so quicker as it is smaller. Also if it is small enough it may fit on your internal memory although be careful that you keep a minimum of 400MB of free space on the internal memory otherwise the unit could have problems. It needs that free capacity to help it operate.

Doug
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi again @Y IsThisAlwaysSoHard

When you get to the point of Clicking on Add a Map the list will not include Europe Zone 5 but the full European map. You might as well load that although depending on your Wifi it can take some time.

You may find that if you really only want Europe Zone 5 if you contact Customer Support they may be prepared to add that to the list of Maps available to you then when you update it it will do so quicker as it is smaller. Also if it is small enough it may fit on your internal memory although be careful that you keep a minimum of 400MB of free space on the internal memory otherwise the unit could have problems. It needs that free capacity to help it operate.

Doug

I beefed up my memory to 31GB but I still can't find the European maps. Time to get support to sort this out.
    Now finding the right place to contact support may be as hard as finding my maps! :)
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,632
    Superuser
    Hi @YIsThisAlwaysSoHard

If you can't find the EU map and your device say 'you are up to date' without new downloads, then your subscriptions may need to be activated or reactivated.

Since your device is new, you will certainly have an NavCore update (internal software), it must be done alone before the maps.

🇨🇦 Canada (en)
    +1 877-757-7137

🇨🇦 Canada (fr)
    +1 888 301 0690

Regards.
    Accepted Answer
    LAURE123 wrote: »
    Hi @YIsThisAlwaysSoHard

🇨🇦 Canada (en)
    +1 877-757-7137

🇨🇦 Canada (fr)
    +1 888 301 0690

Regards.

Eureka!

Thank you Laure. The customer service phone number is what I needed to get things straighten out. My account did not get activated at Tomtom. The service rep spotted the issue and 5 minutes later uploading began.

Thank you everyone for your help with my problem.
    Superuser
    Hi @YIsThisAlwaysSoHard

Glad to hear it.

Maybe time to contact Tomtom Support again and ask them to change your Account name to

YisthisnotquitesohardasIthoughtitwas.

=)=)

Doug
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,632
    Superuser
    @YIsThisAlwaysSoHard

Glad for you and thanks for your feedback. :)

Regards.