Go Essential 6" (16gb SD Memory Card Un-recongized) — TomTom Community

Go Essential 6" (16gb SD Memory Card Un-recongized)

PoggsPoggs Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
Just purchased a Go Essential 6" and inserted a 16gb SD card to transfer data to and from MyDrive on the MacBook Pro. I managed to copy across two files from MyRoutes from the device using the the SD card. However, I deleted the folders/files on the SD card and thereafter unable to transfer any files from the device as it states: 'Memory Card Un-recongized' using the memory card. Files will transfer using the USB from MyDrive to the device but the SD Card Un-recongized. I tried formatting the SD Card from the device and the MacBook and even using the 'SD Memory Card Formatter'. Even tried the drum reboot a couple of times but still no joy... Any advice would be grateful, cheers..

Answers

• dhndhn Posts: 33,326
    Superusers
    What brand card? Try a SanDisk class 10.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,893
    Superuser
    Hi @Poggs

You probably have but just to confirm if you are formatting the SD card for use in a Tomtom unit you have to format it to Fat32.

Doug

• PoggsPoggs Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    The SD Card is a 16gb Micro Londisk (u1)
    I have formatted the SD MS-dos (FAT) and ExFat. I'm using MacBook Pro... Both formats show different wording on the device when I try and share My Routes to the SD card, however, it doesn't recognise the SD card in the device... Tom Tom helpline recommended formatting in ExFat. It's been passed onto their tech dept to look into...
    Superuser
    Hi @Poggs

Sorry to have to say this that some makes of cards are not recognised by Tomtom units. As @dhn has suggested can you get a Sandisk or Samsung from a reliable source and that should sort you out. Some have had problems with Sandiisks etc from Ebay as they are Fake.

Doug
    I've tried another SD Card 16gb Micro Londisk (u1) card and it works fine. I was able to transfer to Mac. The first one worked initially But once formatted it just wouldn't transfer or recogonise thereafter... If the problem occurs then I'll go for Sandisk or Samsung as suggested, many thanks all for you suggestions....
    Just spoken to TomTom and they said any brand 16gb SD card will work in the device. We tried a factory reset, drum restart, formatted the SD card in MS-Dos & ExFAT but nothing worked. The last resort is to wait until Thursday for the next camera update. Leave the SD card in the device during the update and try to transfer the MyRoutes after the update has been installed. If no joy then TomTom will refund the cost of the device as it's still in the 14 day return policy. I can then purchase a new one or another model with the 25% discount they offer for buying a second device from Tom Tom...
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,632
    Superuser
    Hi all

@Poggs
    Poggs wrote: »
    I have formatted the SD MS-dos (FAT) and ExFat. I'm using MacBook Pro... Both formats show different wording on the device when I try and share My Routes to the SD card, however, it doesn't recognise the SD card in the device... Tom Tom helpline recommended formatting in ExFat. It's been passed onto their tech dept to look into...

An observation, I don't use microSD for the tracks (only for Maps) but this advice from the HelpLine makes me react.

To my knowledge, TomTom devices recognize only the FAT32 format for microSD cards. This is the default format for any SDHC card between 2 and 32GB.
    With 'SD Memory Card Formatter' try to format this microSD 16GB in FAT32 (Not FAT or exFAT)
    https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Then put the microSD card in the TomTom device and:
    ==> go to the main menu of your device (4Dots ....)/Settings/System/Format the memory card/choose the option "Tracks/Routes"

Or do a Soft Reset:
    - Press and hold the Power button for about 30 seconds until you hear a drum sound, then release the button.
    The formatting starts automatically after the Reset, on the screen choose the option "Tracks/Routes".

See if it brings improvement.
    Regards.

Superuser
    edited March 2019
    Hi @Poggs

As @LAURE123 says Fat32. See this page from TT which clearly confirms that.

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2634/kw/format sd card

Doug
    😊😁 Problem solved... It's really strange but here we go: I changed the name of the SD card back to 'NO NAME' and formatted it using https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ Somehow it worked and with 3 different makes and sizes of SD Cards... 😎👌👌 Thanks everyone for your suggestions it gave me the ideas to sort the problem out... 👍