Trying to update my maps but for some reason the update needs more space than i have free — TomTom Community

Trying to update my maps but for some reason the update needs more space than i have free

michaelcoventry27michaelcoventry27 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
edited March 2019 in Map installation
even if I delete everything off my device it still too big for me to install new updated maps
Tagged:

Answers

• LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 12,912
    Superusers
    You can insert a micro SD card. Then you can load the cards again.
    Cards up to 32Gb are supported.

Slots you can find here
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,423
    Superuser
    Hi @michaelcoventry27

Further to Lochfrass I would suggest a minimum 16gb Micro SD card Class 10 as 8Gb will not take the full European Map. 32gb is max unit will take.

Works for me.

Doug
  • AmmarNooriAmmarNoori Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi there,
    I am having the same trouble. I have a micro SD card with 32 gb but it is still failing to download the maps that can be fit for my device. I emailed the customer services but no answer yet. This is ridiculous service!
  • valerimavalerima Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I have same problem with SD card which I have formatted to Fat 32 format in Windows. Device (TT) should reformat card by himself as I do guess. However I cannot go to menu in my device and check. Without maps it is not available for me.
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,624
    Superuser
    Hi @AmmarNoori and @valerima

You can try this, I hope will help you:

1/ For MyDrive Connect.
    If you have a corrupted map, you must delete it.
    - Open the submenu of the map, in "My content" go down in "My Maps", click on the map picture, not on the button and choose "Uninstall".
    - Empty cache folder, close MDC window and right-click the MDC icon in the taskbar next to the clock.
    ==> choose "Settings"/"Downloads" tab/ "Empty download folder" button/"Save settings".
    - Right-click on the MDC icon in the taskbar next to the clock
    ==> Choose "Quit".

2/ For the microSD card, class 10 of minimum 16GB (max 32GB)
    TomTom uses a proprietary formatting mode performed by your device.
    - Put the microSD card in the TomTom device, previously formatted in FAT32 with your PC.
    - Reset your device: Press and hold the Power button for about 30 seconds until you hear a drum sound, then release the button.
    The formatting starts automatically after the Reset, on the screen choose the option "Map".

3/ Install EU full map on the micro SD card. Because of its size 8553MB, MyDrive Connect will put it directly on the micro SD card.
    - In MDC, open the submenu of the map, in "My content" go down in "My Maps", click on the map picture, not on the button and choose "Install Full Map With Buildings".

Regards.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,770
    Superusers
    edited March 2019
    Hi
    @valerima

No Maps Installed Error....
    If you have on of the first edition NAV4 devices, they have 8GB onboard Memory (Minus the space used for the operating system and minus a further 400MB Minimum of free working space)
    The latest NAV4 Full Europe Map is 8.533GB... You will need to install a branded 16GB or 32GB Class10 Micro SDHC Memory card....
    But you now have a problem the Micro SDHC Memory card need to be first Formatted Fat32 on your PC, then Formatted in the Tomtom device with a propriety Tomtom Format... But You are effectively locked out of the system with a 'No Maps Installed' Error, you can't Format the Micro SDHC card....

You have a couple of options
    Option... (1) If you or a friend have another NAV4 or NAV5 (Wi-Fi) Device you can format the Memory Card on that device
    When Formatting is complete Remove the Memory Card and insert the Memory Card into the Device showing 'No Maps Installed'
    My Drive Connect should now recognize the Memory Card and allow you to install of the Full Europe Map to the Memory card
    Note... As soon a Map is installed on the Memory Card, the Map and Memory Card are locked by the Serial number to the Device that installed the Map, in other words you can't swap Memory cards with installed Maps between devices

Option... (2) Tomtom Support or the Site Moderators should be able to allocate a small map to your Account, for you to install to the devices internal memory, in order for you to pass the ''No Maps Installed' Error message and allow the install of the Full Europe Map
    Note... I would leave the small Map installed on the internal memory as a 'Keeper' to prevent a 'No Maps Installed' Error, in case you ever want to swap out Memory cards for "Say" Route/s Transfer

The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices have 16GB onboard Memory and World Maps, so much less likely to have the above problems

ATB YFM
  • Stephen 888Stephen 888 Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I thought I was reasonably IT savvy. I have the same problem, On my GO 520 have USA Maps updated, Cameras and Europe which I can' t update due to lack of space. Purchased a 32GB micro Sd inserted. Tom Tom doesn't recognise card. I can't figure out how to format on my Windows 10 PC. Seriously unimpressed. I will try phoning support on Monday.
    Superuser
    edited March 2019
    Hi @Stephen 888

On a Windows PC go onto File Explorer, Right Click on the Card and select Format. You need to format it to Fat32, not anything else, and do a full Format not a Quick format.

Doug

Thanks for the help Doug. Did the formatting (a full format) inserted SD into unit turned it on. Message came up saying do you want to format so pressed yes and this completed. Tried update again but unit still says not enough memory. MicroSd is 32Gb update is 8GB. Unit is still not recognising the microsd card. Any thoughts?
  • nabunabu Posts: 14,648
    Superusers
    edited March 2019
    mini sd card to put cards get formatted live on the gps
    parameter / system / format memory card
    so after talking with support deleted existing Europe map and loaded update and that worked.
  • nabunabu Posts: 14,648
    Superusers
    Bravo 👍
    Superuser
  • HatchHatch Posts: 11 [Master Explorer]
    Yes I normally have to delete all my maps to get any update to work. If I update without I either get not enough space, or if there is enough space, I get a corrupted map.

I live in hope that one day TomTom will improve its update experience but the past four years have seen no change for me and I'm yet to get a map update that works first time.