Can't Reset my Device — TomTom Community

Can't Reset my Device

My device is locked on the OS Data screen (small white text on black background). I can't even switch it off. NOWHERE can I find guidance on how to do a hard reset and since I cannot get beyond that screen - even after letting it run flat and then start again, none of the soft reset options apply. I can't even find a little pinhole for a factory reset. Its a Via 1605TM also called a Start 60.

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,532
    Superuser
    edited March 2019
    Hi @CaptainFourbars

Can you get this to work.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034277/how-to-recover-your-device#latest

If not then I would suggest you contact Customer Support.

Doug
  • CaptainFourbarsCaptainFourbars Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks, Doug. I tried all that but nothing works to rid me of that black screen with white text other than running the battery flat. So in that condition, pressing the on/off button, tapping it, holding it, etc has ZERO effect.

The unusual absence of a hard reset button is what does me in. Customer Support can't suggest anything different. And I just renewed a subscription on it too! I am convinced its just a software corruption but total inability to hard reset/restore and start again means it is now useless, a shame indeed.

Looks like my days of using a separate GPS navigator are coming to an end. Waze on my phone is free and works perfectly and in real time.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,301
    Superusers
    The power button on the device may be stuck. Electronics stores may sell sprays that can be used to loosen up the button.
    dhn wrote: »
    The power button on the device may be stuck. Electronics stores may sell sprays that can be used to loosen up the button.

A good thought. Certainly worth a try. Although the switch certainly FEELS like it moves as normal, has always been kept in a clean environment and is not overused. But as you suggest, these things DO happen.

I will try to find something and give it a whirl. It would be such a shame to lose this otherwise great device over a 5 cent switch! Thanks.
    dhn wrote: »

I bought a can of special electrical contact spray and applied it but sadly, it made not a blind bit of difference. It was a very good idea, nevertheless for which I thank you.

Sadly, I feel I must now accept the reality that my little used, wide screen TomTom device, up to date and with a newly added paid subscription to safety cameras for a year is now deceased. Very probably only for the lack of a hard reset button like every other electronic device known to civilised man. Sadder still, it looks like the end of the road for me with-in-car navigators, which served me well from the very earliest models.. Waze is clearly the winner.