RIDER 550 Several start up problems — TomTom Community

RIDER 550 Several start up problems

Bart0Bart0 Posts: 45 [Renowned Wayfarer]
edited February 2019 in RIDER
Hi everyone,

I have some startup issuses with my new TomTom Rider 550. Brand new/ out the box.

1. Updates are really slow: I downloaded 2 major updates, both were taking a whole night. Only for 12 gb and 8gb. I don't care for the nighttime, but beware of your drivingplans. If you have some, do not download your updates, b'cause while downloading there are no other functions availible. Advice: take some days/ nights for downloading/ updating your device before you start driving.

2. Can't find the address after downloading updates: I wanted to use the TomTom Rider 550 in my car to find out how it would function while driving. But the TomTom could not find the address of my car garage, where I was planning to go to. I go there since 2 years and can find the address blindfoldedly. After 30 minutes suddenly the TomTom did find the address. Strange....

3. Routes given by TomTom are slow. After setting the address for my cars garage, TomTom gave my an eta of 90 minutes. 90. If I drive to my garage with my blindfolds on, it takes me 35 to 45 minutes. And that is when setting on the TomTom is on "fastes route".

4. Later that day I was on my motorcycle to find out how that would work. Also very not satisfying. It was not possible to drive from my location to my home via another address. No matter what I did. When giving my home address into the TomTom it overruled the other location. When I set the other (via) location first, it overruled my home address.

So, is there any user among you who can help me out with these issues. These are just the basics. In the end of april 2019 I am planning to use the TomTom on a motorholiday. But in this situation I will go, but the TomTom will defenitly will be staying home (in the trashbin).

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,570
    Superuser
    Hi @Bart0

In settings what Search method have you selected. If it is Step by Step change it to Quick Search and see if problem goes away. The Step by Step method has problems with UK Post Codes in rural areas.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,070
    Superusers
    edited February 2019
    Hi
    @Bart0
    1. Updates are really slow: I downloaded 2 major updates, both were taking a whole night. Only for 12 gb and 8gb. I don't care for the nighttime, but beware of your drivingplans. If you have some, do not download your updates, b'cause while downloading there are no other functions availible. Advice: take some days/ nights for downloading/ updating your device before you start driving
    Whats your Internet connection Speed ???
    For a Real World Broadband Speed test try Which Magazine....
    https://broadbandtest.which.co.uk/
    My Which Connection speed test reports = 114.4Mb/s
    Also See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1624925/#Comment_1624925
    2. Can't find the address after downloading updates: I wanted to use the TomTom Rider 550 in my car to find out how it would function while driving. But the TomTom could not find the address of my car garage, where I was planning to go to. I go there since 2 years and can find the address blindfoldedly. After 30 minutes suddenly the TomTom did find the address. Strange
    As Doug says always use the Quick search option
    Do you input the actual address or Postcode ???
    3. Routes given by TomTom are slow. After setting the address for my cars garage, TomTom gave my an eta of 90 minutes. 90. If I drive to my garage with my blindfolds on, it takes me 35 to 45 minutes. And that is when setting on the TomTom is on "fastest route"
    As Doug says always use the Quick search option
    Do you input the actual address or Postcode ???
    4. Later that day I was on my motorcycle to find out how that would work. Also very not satisfying. It was not possible to drive from my location to my home via another address. No matter what I did. When giving my home address into the TomTom it overruled the other location. When I set the other (via) location first, it overruled my home address
    (1)... Plan your Route i.e... Start = Home --> Destination = 'Liverpool'... The route is calculated
    (2)... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Tap Search... Enter the address for the route Via = 'Worcester'
    on the left side of the screen the device offers 'Worcester' --> Tap the offered 'Worcester'
    (3)...The device offers 'Worcester' in the right side of the screen --> Tap the offered 'Worcester'
    (4)... A Quick Menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot Icon... Tap Add to Current route... The device recalculates the route to include 'Worcester'

Tomtom Rider 550 User Guide....
    http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/Rider_Wi-Fi/index.htm

Also see... Tomtom Web Route planner....
    https://mydrive.tomtom.com

ATB YFM

• Bart0Bart0 Posts: 45 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Hi Doug, thanks for your time and effort to help me out. I'm from NL and will check your tip out!

Bart
    thanks guys. But the TomTom is ready for the bin. It can't find any city. EG Amsterdam.

1. On a normal "maps" screen. I tap the 4dot button (on the left of my screen)
    2. I tap "search"
    3. i give an address: de dam, Amsterdam (millions tourists go there)
    4. Tomtom doesnt know what De Dam is and doesn't recognize Amsterdam

This is really the worst device I met in a long long time.

My G*d. Even Google Maps on my mobile phone offers me a simple choise of given addresses and offers me to change apperences of the given places. TomTom still has a long way to go.

So for now, I stop working with the Tomtom. I put it in the package and in the closet.
    Thanks for your time and support guys.

Bye bye Tomtom
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,070
    Superusers
    edited February 2019
    Hi
    @Bart0

You mean Amsterdam in Holland ??? If Yes you need to install the Europe Map then switch from the New Zealand Map to the Europe Map

Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Maps....
    rfc4xekxcrek.jpg
    ATB YFM
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,570
    Superuser
    Hi @Bart0

Firstly you say:-

1. On a normal "maps" screen. I tap the 4dot button (on the left of my screen)
    2. I tap "search"
    3. i give an address: de dam, Amsterdam (millions tourists go there)
    4. Tomtom doesnt know what De Dam is and doesn't recognize Amsterdam

Point 2 confirms that you have Quick Search as the Search option on your unit.

If I input 'Amsterdam' on my Tomtom unit it recognises it immediately.

If I input your suggestion in Point 3 ie 'de dam Amsterdam' it says in the Left hand column that it does not recognise the address ie as entered, however the 2nd Point of interest it suggests in the right hand column is the Cafe 'De Dam" in Damstraat which is the same place as Google maps suggests if you type the same in that.

I also note that Google maps calls it 'Dam' not De Dam. If you put Dam Amsterdam in my TT unit it goes to the same place..

So unless there is something wrong with your map I cannot see what your problem is on my unit.

Doug
    It's been a drama, but much better now. Thank you all for your support.
    The solution for finding the place I wanted to go to has been found. Tomtom 550 has a button that must be switched off. Standard it's switchd on. Drama.

The button is found in main menu/ settings/ routeplanning/ (first button=) Suggest destinations. (It's my literal translation from a dutch version). When switched off I can give an address, place like normal.

But TomTom still has it;s own rules. When I set the system to avoid highways, sometimes it still sends me over the highway. I take it for granted.