Does anyone have problems with the 'Click & Go Mount and Charger '?

directchauffeur
directchauffeur Registered Users Posts: 1
Apprentice Seeker
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
how do a check if its the cable or mount thats not allowing the charge to do its job

Answers

• dhn
    dhn Posts: 33,382
     Superuser
    You can connect the cable directly to the device (on the back) and charge it that way.
  • ojley
    ojley Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Traveler
    My Go 500 has started switching off and on. If I plug the cable directly in it seems fine, if I use the mount it plays up. Anyone know how I check the mount or do I just gamble on a replacement fixing the issue?
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,827
     Superuser
    Hi
    @ojley

The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 WiFi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power

When the device is In use they are designed to be always connected to a power supply
    The Tomtom supplied Power Adapter is rated at 5Volts 1.2Amps
    Even after you have recharged the device externally via a mains charger, when in use in the vehicle, they will still require being connected to a Tomtom supplied Power Adapter (Or a proven suitable 3rd party Power adapter)

(1)... Do NOT attach them to a dashboard USB port in your vehicle as they normally only supply 500mAmp (0.5Amp) and are for data transfer and not supplying power: See... Note (1) & (2)

(2)... Using a NONE Tomtom 3rd party underpowered or a mismatched cigarette lighter charger can cause the device to go into Power Saving Mode: See... Note (1)

(3)... On the Models with a built-in SIM, the reduction of power to the SIM can cause the dropping of the traffic info: Note (3)

Note (1)... At an (Undisclosed) percentage of battery discharge, the device will try to save its power requirements by dimming the screen and eventually powers off the device... Devices with a built-in SIM Card may also lose Live Traffic services
    Note (2)... A dashboard USB port can also fool a NAV4 Device into entering 'Updating Mode' and display the Connected to your Computer splash screen
    Note (3)... I tried connecting my Tomtom GO 6200 to my Cars USB port, checked the connection status it reports 'Connected over USB' --> 'GPRS (SIM) Disconnected'

As a test...
    Try using the Tomtom supplied cable and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter

The Charger Adaptor and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom WILL run and charge the device at the same time

Many 3rd party Mismatched Charger Adaptors won't run and charge the device at the same time
    See... It's not simply a power thing.....
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1182024/#Comment_1182024

ATB YFM
  • Cantiyots
    Cantiyots Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    edited July 2021
    Yep - my Click and Go Mount broke and I assume it's a fairly common problem given various comments on the web and the fact that there a fair few companies offering repairs.. Try mounting your TomTom in the device, plug in the USB then jiggle the USB connector. If the TomTom gives you a shutting down or power disconnect message or if the power/charge indicator disappears then it's a problem with the C&G mount.

My symptoms were that when using it in the car the TomTom would intermittently tell me that the it was shutting down due to power disconnect and I'd have to wiggle the USB connector at the back of the C&G Mount to get it to power up again. It's a result of TomTom providing a right-angle plug that puts a turning force on the connector which damages the solder connections of the PCB-mounted USB connector if you're not careful.

I fixed it by disassembling the C&G Mount (screw under the label on the bottom) and re-flowing the solder connections of the USB connector and its mounting points on the PCB. This is not difficult, but you'll need a decent soldering iron with a very, very fine tip (<<1mm) and a magnifier. After I put it back together I plugged in a USB male to female cable to the C&G and hot-glued around the plug to permanently fix it and stop it moving and creating the problem again. Now when I connect and disconnect I'm not putting undue strain on the PCB-mounted connector because I'm always connecting to the flying end of the cable and not stressing the connector on the Click and Go body.

If you have bought a new Click and Go mount because of this problem I recommend buying a USB Micro B male to female cable (I got mine on ebay for £7) and leaving it plugged in so that you are not stressing the connector on the body of the mount each time you connect/disconnect. If you don't want to do that then I suggest you ditch the right-angle plug supplied by TomTom and use a straight one.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,827
     Superuser
    edited July 2021
    Hi
    @Cantiyots
    Welcome to the site...
    Further to your post... I never disconnect the Tomtom USB lead from the mount...
    It's the original Mount from when Tomtom launched the GO 5000
    I loop the cable around the mounts' pillar using a simple knot to provide strain relief and when I'm not using the device I use a Velcro strap to stow the mount & cable in the glove-box....

I use a 2nd USB lead to update the device....
    Leaving the mount on the screen 24/7 is not a good idea....

74cwir5vg2pj.jpg
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Cantiyots
    Cantiyots Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    Good idea, Yam, but I've hard-wired the USB power cable into the car so that it comes out between the dash and the windscreen. I don't like cables trailing all over the place and it's much tidier this way.