Lost voice! — TomTom Community

Lost voice!

Hi all,

If any one can help? - Today I updated everything that was available for my GO 60, including the "Voice update" that was supposed improve the quality of the voices installed on my device, only now I find my favourite/most used voice is no longer present. The voice in question is/was "Serena" (Computer voice, UK English), and was the only voice to read aloud the road names and numbers.

Is this what TomTom call an improvement? Worse still, it's not available to download, either free, or to buy. Does anyone know how to get it back, or if it can be got back?

Come on folks, Serena is my travelling 'buddy' she's guided me all over the place, she's my right hand Ma'm! I've got to get her back onboard!

Best Answer

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 4,782 [Elite Voyager]
    Hi @white Sapphire

Hopefully @VikramK or @lampard will pick this up and add Serena for you. May be Monday.

Doug
  • WhiteSapphireWhiteSapphire Posts: 39 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Hi Doug,

Thanks for that... I really do need my Serena voice. It's far easier to navigate when you have a street name to look out for rather than simply "In 150 yards, turn right".
  • bigbig Posts: 1,623 Superuser
    White Sapphire, make sure when you look at the list of voices that you scroll UP. I'm guessing Serena is there after all.
    Hi big,

Already did that... Absolutely without doubt, Serena has gone AWOL :'( .

I removed all the none English speaking voices a little while back when memory space became an issue, and made a special point of ensuring Serena was kept, in fact I could quite happily manage with just that one voice.

Sadly, something happened during today's updates and has left me minus my most important travelling companion.
  • bigbig Posts: 1,623 Superuser
    Thank you for following up. Seems like sometimes that girl has a mind of her own :smile:
    Maybe she's gone on a sabbatical? ;)

Just to add interest to this tale of woe. I can no longer use voice control! If I try, all I get is the message "Voice control cannot be used with your display language". I've tried also tried English (United States), English (Ireland) and English (New Zealand), all to no avail.

So it seems that not only have I lost a voice, but also lost voice control at the same time.

Should I buy a Garmin next time? :3
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,298 Superusers
    Without a computer voice, you will get that error message. Check tomorrow to see if an admin here has added the required computer voices to your account.
    Hi Vikram,

Thanks for that, however I now get a message that says I need to free up some space on my device.

I now have a micro SD card installed, so it looks like I need to move the maps off from the device and onto the card. Given the lateness of the hour, here, I think it best to leave this task to later in the week, but I will definitely try it out in the next few days.

Best regards,

"Sapphire"
    That was handy!

A new map update was ready today, so I installed that on the micro SD, that automatically deleted the previous map from the device and left oceans of room for the lost "Serena" voice. My screen appears bright again (will test in daylight), and all being well, that's a pretty good outcome. :)

I will report back by the weekend.
  • SamsulSamsul Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hello there, I have accidentally removed all the voices from my devices. How can I get them back? Can someone please help?
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 9,530 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @Samsul

I have added a computer voice, it should be offered for download in MyDrive Connect.

Regards
    Vikram
  • Graham58640Graham58640 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi TomTom,

I have done the same. This is my first time updating my Start 52 after purchasing it last year. I did not have enough space to fit the new full Europe map at 6.5GB (I had the full Europe map from new), so as prompted I deleted unwanted voices, but unfortunately I also seem to of deleted the original UK female voice. What is the original UK voice name for the Star 52?

Following advise on this forum I added the free UK voice of Jane, but it is not the same, and now understand the difference and importance of the original computer voice. As above, can you add the original UK voice to my account so everything is back to normal. I hope it is not too big, as I only have a very small bit of space left, and want to continue just using the internal memory. I am sorry, and will not delete it again.

One question, if in the future I can no longer fit the full Europe map on my device (just using the internal memory), I understand I can have a smaller map, but I travel Spain to Greece, and the main central ones as well, so if I have 2 maps installed what happens when I cross a border, do I run out of map or does the Start 52 switch maps automatically. I cross Spain / France / Germany a lot and this is where I think some of the edges of the smaller multi country maps are.

Thanks,

Graham
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 4,782 [Elite Voyager]
    Hi @Graham58

Why don't you add a Micro SD Class 10 memory card size 16gb or maximum 32gb the Start 52 and after you have formatted the card on the device for maps you can add the update the Europe map. Because the updated Europe map is too big to fit on the internal memory the software will put the map on the extra memory and you can use the device exactly as you did before and will not have to switch between small country maps..

If @vikram is prepared to add a small map to your account then load that as well as that will go on the internal memory and cover you in the event of any problem updating the Europe map later.

Doug

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the advice. I wish I had gone the SD card route at the beginning, but I did not have one to hand and thought I could this time do it all on the internal flash memory. I really thought I was only deleting the unused other language voices.

I am ok for small maps, in my MyDrive Connect I have loads of maps showing, some one country and some smaller sets of Europe, so I do not need these added to my account, just would like that default UK voice back. Why are these not shown in MyDrive Connect like the maps are, if you are able to be given the option to delete voices, then they should be there in case you want to put them back in, strange, and I am referring to the better computer voices not the free standard ones that are in the shop purchase, such as Jane which I temporary have.

Anyway, when the full European map is too big for the internal flash memory, then yes I will find an SD card and put it in.

Graham
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 9,530 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @Graham58640

Welcome to the community!

I have activated the customer voice Serena for your device. It should be offered for download in MyDrive Connect.

Regards
    Vikram
    Hi Vikram,

Thanks for doing that, I have successfully installed the voice and everything is back to normal. Cheers, I will not do that again!!

To others, Initially I could not fit the voice back on as the new full Europe map had only left me 50MB spare, but I noticed the remove content section was very helpful and recommended changing the new full Europe map I had installed yesterday to a "Europe 45+" map. This covered what I wanted Spain to Greece in one map so really great.

After trying to do some research on the Europe 45+ map I could not find any info anywhere. Anybody know which counties have been removed to take it from full Europe (6.5G) to Europe 45+ (5.6G from what I remembered at the time of the updating).

Thanks everyone for your help, very happy now.

Graham