Speed alert warning and speed cameras settings? — TomTom Community

Speed alert warning and speed cameras settings?

potty5potty5 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
Dear forum members, I have recently upgraded my sat nav from a Garmin to a TomTom Start 60. I was most impressed with the Tomtom, but after using it for the first time, I am a bit concerned that I have not set it up correctly. First of all, the first speed camera I approached, there was no warning sound, and secondly further up the road, I noticed I was a few mph above the limit of the road. The sat nav only gave me a warning when I was about 5mph above the limit. Can you change this? Sorry for sounding a complete novice, but I am!!! Mark.

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,897
    Superuser
    edited February 2019
    Hi @potty5

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap Voices
    Select Serena or Malcolm as these are Digitalised voices and give more information.

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap Sounds and Warnings
    Tap Warning Type and decide if you want Sound or Read Aloud warnings
    Tap Top Left Arrow to go back One page
    Now select which options you want to be warned about.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,436
    Superusers
    Hi
    @potty5

For general improvement over the default settings for using the Tomtom Speed Cam Database
    Always use a Computer voice...
    Serena or Malcolm in the UK
    Also....
    From the main screen... Tap (.... Menu) -> Setting -> Sounds & Warnings...
    Set... 'Warning Type' to... Read Allowed... (Important... Needs a Computer Voice set in the Voices menu)
    Speed Cameras & Hazards... Set to ON
    The next 10 Setting ALL set to Always
    The next 4 Settings ALL set to ON
    The device will now say....
    'Fixed Camera'
    'Mobile Hot Spot'
    'Red-light Camera'
    'Accident Black-spots
    ‘Spoken Traffic delays’

Speed Cams
    If you keep a check on the Traffic-bar... The device gives you a visual Warning of the next Fixed or Mobile Speed Camera many miles before you reach the camera
    Even more info if in the 'Setting menus' you setup a Wide Traffic/Route Bar
    93197384-69ec-4f9d-b7ae-f68a6f82ffae.jpg
    ATB YFM
  • potty5potty5 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi guys, thanks for the answers, much appreciated. I forgot to mention that the TomTom was bought from a friend who has upgraded. I take it then that I have to purchase the speed camera function off the TomTom website? Thankks very much, Mark.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,897
    Superuser
    Hi @potty5

Purchased Maps and speed cameras are tied to the units they are purchased for, If the Speed Camera purchase is still valid when you have tied it to your Tomtom account then it should show it has a valid Speed camera. If need be you can purchase another period via MtDrive Connect.

To change the Tomtom account your unit is tied to do a Reset Device Make sure it is fully charged then:-.
    Tap Menu,
    Tap Settings,
    Tap System

You will have to set the unit up from scratch but you can now allocate it to your Tomtom account.

Doug